Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

I guess in order to tell if it's a dumb question or not, it should be posed to brass players as well. Winning the ring? Or winning the Ott?

So post it!

But then probably the guardlings will feel left out.

Having won both brass (BD)

Out of curiosity, would you trade that high brass title for the DCI title? Meaning, would you, say, be OK if BD lost brass to Garfield but won DCI?

For whatever reason, this type of discussion is fascinating

Edited by perc2100

To me what you posted would be like if you were a pit crewman for a NASCAR team stating that you would feel more accomplished winning the Pit Crew Award for fastest pit work than winning the Sprint Cup Title because you were more a part of the pit crew than the overall team.

They are also saying he felt as though they were being more recognized for their accomplishments as a percussionist winning the high percussion trophy than maybe they felt being one of 150 (or 120 or 135 or whatever) pieces of a very large puzzle.

I get that, and as someone who has actually won both the High Percussion trophy and DCI Championship their opinion is pretty legit as far as which meant more. It's also possible they won DCI first, and felt as that "winning DCI is cool, but I _REALLY_ want to win my caption and prove I'm the best of the best" so winning percussion caption meant more. As satisfied as Crown's percussion surely is for winning DCI, I'm sure there is still at least a small part of them eating away at their caption placement not being as good as their overall placement.

Conversely, perhaps Cadets 2013 percussion members have the (very well-deserved) sense of accomplishment for winning high percussion but might come back in 2014 with that huge sense of urgency to want to win DCI.

• Like 1

Not boasting here, just stating fact. I have won both on different years. 1982 - won DCI 3rd in drums, 1984 - 2nd in DCI 1st in drums. For me the ring from '82 means more to me now that the drum trophy in '84 but that's just me.

Dan

Thanks for the insight; can you elaborate as to why?

They are also saying he felt as though they were being more recognized for their accomplishments as a percussionist winning the high percussion trophy than maybe they felt being one of 150 (or 120 or 135 or whatever) pieces of a very large puzzle.

I get that, and as someone who has actually won both the High Percussion trophy and DCI Championship their opinion is pretty legit as far as which meant more. It's also possible they won DCI first, and felt as that "winning DCI is cool, but I _REALLY_ want to win my caption and prove I'm the best of the best" so winning percussion caption meant more. As satisfied as Crown's percussion surely is for winning DCI, I'm sure there is still at least a small part of them eating away at their caption placement not being as good as their overall placement.

Conversely, perhaps Cadets 2013 percussion members have the (very well-deserved) sense of accomplishment for winning high percussion but might come back in 2014 with that huge sense of urgency to want to win DCI.

a) Joe Flacco; I wonder if he or any other player who has ever won the Super Bowl MVP award, has stated that being the Super Bowl MVP was more important to them than winning the Super Bowl itself.

b) Adrian Peterson; I wonder if he or any other player who has ever won the NFL MVP award without their team making it past the playoffs, has stated that they prefer the NFL MVP award to making, let alone winning, the Super Bowl.

Thanks for the insight; can you elaborate as to why?
while only DCA, we won drums in 95, but we won it all in 96 ( and drums)...but the ring from 96 just comes across so much more satisfying. Great you have the best drumline...but what about the rest of the corps? But in 96, we could say we were the best corps in DCA...all 128 of us. That to me just seems so much more fulfilling Edited by Jeff Ream

I marched in a line that won the Ott & High Visual the same year (took 1st in Field Brass & Field Visual too) but simply medalled; from an individual perspective I've always felt "I did my job & maxed it out" while everything else (particularly GE) was beyond our control.

I marched in a line that won the Ott & High Visual the same year (took 1st in Field Brass & Field Visual too) but simply medalled; from an individual perspective I've always felt "I did my job & maxed it out" while everything else (particularly GE) was beyond our control.

The converse of your statement is that anyone who did not win the 'Ott', or 'Sanford', did not do their job as individuals and did not max out their own individual performances. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am positive that each and every performer on the field at DCI is 'doing their job by maxing out their own individual performance'. And it is the opinion of the judges, all of them, which determines 'the best' on any given caption award; and no matter the caption, their opinion is always beyond your control.

Not boasting here, just stating fact. I have won both on different years. 1982 - won DCI 3rd in drums, 1984 - 2nd in DCI 1st in drums. For me the ring from '82 means more to me now that the drum trophy in '84 but that's just me.

Dan

Yea good point Dan.