Random Cadets question...

JKT90

not exactly sure. Didn't see him once on tour or at a contest all summer. I heard he was deathly sick. Hope the rumors aren't true. He's a big behind the scenes support.

Oh, my!!! I hope they are not true! He has done a lot for the corps! He was also Asst DM in 72, I think, with Jim Messina.

Oh, my!!! I hope they are not true! He has done a lot for the corps! He was also Asst DM in 72, I think, with Jim Messina.

and a DCI visual judge for awhile? I know he's done that in USSBA.

I asked a Cadets alumni friend of mine this one, and he said the explanation given when he marched was that it was because drum corps is now more artistic than military. Leading with the left came from military roots, while dancers lead with the right.

Take that as you will.

Dear jeebus, you're going to force me to post.

1. Right foot? Because Sully.

2. I have never heard anyone say "prayer block."

3. Greg Pych is alive and cantankerous as always.

3. Glad to hear that Greg is now better.

2. Perhaps in the 80 years of the corps the term was not used in your few years with them. Definitely the term is used back in Zingali's days and now by the current membership, particularly since 2009, the 75th anniversary year when a lot of old traditions were rediscovered deliberately by some of the membership. The tapping of the buckles is an example.

1. Yup, Sully it is ......Mark Sylvester for those who don't know his a/k/a.

Dear jeebus, you're going to force me to post.

1. Right foot? Because Sully.

2. I have never heard anyone say "prayer block."

3. Greg Pych is alive and cantankerous as always.

Good about Greg.

In my Cadet days, we always moved around single file to a straight bass thump. We never moved in a block; a very tight block was Blue Rock's "thing". My dad always said he could tell when Garfield was coming near the field as he could see a long line of white plumes as we moved around the stadium area.

That's Aaron Oppenheimer on the left, not Aaron Goldberg. I don't know any "Goldberg"s that marched Cadets.

Lee Beddis was ALWAYS a snare drummer and was later, at least 87 to 90 when he aged out with a ring to match what he won in 87.

He was part of the great Canadian crew which came South (Vanderkoff, Gardiner, Miekle brothers, Christine Densmore Higgins, and the Ventures group. Speaking of Kitchner kids, their Octoberfest should be in full swing now!)

In the photo, that's Aaron Goldberg to your far left; Mike Skouras in the center; to your far right I can't decipher the face, and it has been 30 years since this photo was taken (my old memory is too full with accumulated factoids since then to be further exact but I think it is one of the Quebecois,, Louis, we had in the corps at the time but my memory is foggy.. Any help out there, Maroon team as I am probably incorrect.

It is not Brian Hickman if that is what you are expecting. I am trying to remember whether it was Brian's second or third season that he skipped because his family was temporarily stationed in England; we didn't have the trans-Atlantic cross-pond shuttles then that DCI has today; Martin and John from Birmingham were the first to start that route. Any more details and this will have to be bounced to the historical forum.

I know someone will comment on the haircuts, "a bit different" from the close crop, almost skinheads, many Cadets have worn from about late '80's (this photo is '84.) to the present. Of course the show is a about Puerto Rican and Italian gangs in NYC during earlier decades, and not all wore flatheads then. With Aaron and Mike, even a daily shearing would still not be enough sez this guy who combs over his two strands of hair left on his head.

Thanks for bringing back the memory of a great show and great people!

That's Aaron Oppenheimer on the left, not Aaron Goldberg. I don't know any "Goldberg"s that marched Cadets.

you are absolutely correct!!

I used one of my nicknames for him and lost the real name in the retelling. Opie gave a lot of life to the corps on and off the field.