Random Cadets question...

JKT90

I always wondered if it was to engage the left brain at the outset, freeing up the right brain to focus on a more creative perspective.

Actually I think all that left-right brain theory has recently been challenged, but it made for an interesting story in my own imagination...

Loads of folks used that same LB/RB concept to defend/criticize/and appreciate how Cadets march in '85 and after. You are not alone.

85. We switched that year in the winter for a multiplicity of reasons, not the least of which was to be "different".

It was indeed 85. I've heard 2 reasons. The most common is that the corps was marching so many odd meters that it didn't really matter which foot was 'normally' supposed to lead, as it changed every 3 sets anyway.

The second part is more heresay. Apparently the corps was getting a little too comfy / sure of themselves after having won 2 in a row, and sully wanted to change things up / do something new

85, actually....due to all the meter changes in "Jeremiah Symphony."

This

at least part of the Gmen story of being right footers had to do with the image Brian Hickman, their new director, wanted to reshape the Toledo corps, just like the Gmen usually came out onto a field down the fifty in a block formation which was the same as The Cadets who called it "the prayer block" for various reasons; most publicly, it was the first thing they did after they had sung the O Holy Name corps song before entering the public's view. Remember Brian marched Cadets in the percussion line back when the pit actually marched, like yourself, and then he became the assistant director of The Cadets before being hired by the Toledo corps. Brian brought with him a few Cadet alums, particularly Pat Miller who was part of the Gmen's viz staff. There are a few other nuances to the story, but I will leave that for Glassmen alumni to relive.

Wrong.

Glassmen marched right foot under Dan Acheson. They actually switched back to left when Brian became director for the '97 season. I do not know when they started doing the right foot.

Brian also marched late 80's-early 90's. Well after the front ensemble was grounded. I believe he marched cymbals and played in the front ensemble during his marching career. I think he aged out in 1990 along with my former caption head, Lee Beddis.

He begun working for the Cadets administratively after he aged out.

Edited by gbass598

We switched in 85. Jeremiah changed lead foot on so many phrases that it was good to get rid of the intuitive, "If I am starting a musical thought, I must be on the left foot." I don't remember that we took more than a few minutes to make the switch and reinforced it over a few camps, but it never seemed to be particularly difficult for anyone.

It sure made retreats fun in 85, watching members from other corps assume they were on the wrong foot and repeatedly skip-step to switch feet during the Olympic-style entrances.

I honestly think that everyone makes far more of a big deal about it than it deserves. Once anyone starts moving and playing, it doesn't matter which foot hits the ground when, as long as everyone is doing the same foot at the same time.