Designer Deliberations 2014

The drum corps year can be understood to have four distinct seasons: Designer deliberations, winter camps, Spring training, and summer tour.

But it is in that first season that many corps chance to fall. What really happens during designer deliberations? What show is picked and how do they view it? ( Edit note: Any show nicknames used below are not original from me but come from my sponsorees and their busmates who marched several corps this season as they comment about their peers.)

Several years back when Marc Sylvester was interviewed a few times, most notably by Steve Rondinaro and Dennis Delucia, he as drill design consultant made a big deal about picking the right narrative with characters the audience might understand. His hand was clearly seen in Cadets' '05 and '06. Since then he's been with several corps, now Colts, almost as many as Peterson, Beddis, and Van Doren as they seemingly go the rounds of all DCI corps.

2013 might have been different however, as it seems the top 5 corps and the Troopers presented concepts rather than narratives. Sure Crown did have it's poem, but it wasn't the whole show nor it's point which is still being debated. But certainly Crown did not give us a straight line narrative in "Einstein at Myrtle Beach." Nor did the "Bleacher Creatures from Canton," "Hopkins goes to the Barber," or "Tetherballs in Siberia." Not even the one authentic story performed by SCV was a narrative while they "Rotated France." (Their great visual program also gave them the nickname "Frogs' Legs.")

Compare this to "Spirit Getting Sauced," Regiment's "Guardgirl fights evil Queen Joan and Suta-saurus," Madison's "Boot camp, Battle, and Brotherhood," Cavies' "Behind the Closet Door," BK "Going round in Circles," BS "No one does Voodoo like you do," and most certainly Boston's "150 Shades of Gray climaxing in Rise" for which they eventually blushed. Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins certainly told us narratives as did Lola and the Academy. And then there was Pacific Crest.

So in this "off season" while we debate our technical proficiencies showing whether we preferred the precision of the Cavaliers pits' "Flag-o-matic" to BD's "Clump and Dump" (where a tick less approach is written for the guardster to take a heap of flashflags and randomly toss them on to field while the retriever has so many counts of free form to find the flag and come back to the specified dot,) consider what the designers might be deliberating for 2014. Will we see more concept shows or narratives this season?

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 3

So in this "off season" while we debate our technical proficiencies showing whether we preferred the precision of the Cavaliers pits' "Flag-o-matic" to BD's "Clump and Dump" (where a tick less approach is written for the guardster to take a heap of flashflags and randomly toss them on to field while the retriever has so many counts of free form to find the flag and come back to the specified dot,) consider what the designers might be deliberating for 2014. Will we see more concept shows or narratives this season?

the best part of the whole post

• Like 1

Regiment's "Guardgirl fights evil Queen Joan and Suta-saurus,"

I'm too old to march...... :tongue:

• Like 1

Regiment's "Guardgirl fights evil Queen Joan and Suta-saurus,"

I'm too old to march...... :tongue:

Heh!

Garry in Vegas

Please, can we stop with the horribly un-funny/witty puns? My brain hurts...

Interesting topic, though. :) Considering how story-heavy the activity went for a while, maybe the scales will shift again. It would be fun to see a quantitative analysis of the top 12/17 from 2000 to present in terms of concept vs. story design paradigms, particularly if there's a distant correlation to placement.

Please, can we stop with the horribly un-funny/witty puns? My brain hurts...

I thought this one was significantly funnier than last time, tbh

• Like 1

I thought this one was significantly funnier than last time, tbh

Thank you. If it is funny, it is because of the contributions of several.

I didn't originally imagine writing a witty post, just an interesting observation. Then I started to recall various conversations. That's my narrative. I hope you got the concept.:doh:

• Like 2