Interesting!

So because the Pope has a license plate of SCV1 and Santa Clara University is a Jesuit college, some are concluding that Santa Clara Vanguard is a Jesuit corps? Well SCV's show this year was based on a tale of liberty and rights with characters who are dedicated but flawed, so that would be a Jesuit kind of theme. Also, Victor Hugo who wrote Les Miserables the novel on which the musical was based sometimes irked the Church and the Jesuits do too which could make SCV a Jesuit corps, but are they the most "Jesuit" corps? Maybe, maybe not. Here are some other possibilities as the most Jesuit drum corps:

Carolina Crown's show was a combination of many talents and Jesuits always encourage using gifts for something greater than ourselves so Crown has Jesuit possibilities.

Blue Devils shows as of late are a stroke of genius but often leave people scratching their heads and saying what? Have you ever been a student in a class taught by a Jesuit? It can be like a combination of "Rewrite of Spring" and "Cabaret Voltaire."

As far as Cadets are concerned, Jesuits can be controversial and our friend George H. can be controversial.

Bluecoats show questioned what it means to be American and Jesuits question everything.

Jesuits are believed to be secretive so perhaps "Secret Society" makes Cavies a great Jesuit corps.

Boston Crusaders have the initials BC and BC Boston College is a Jesuit school, though most of us of a certain era refer to Boston Crusaders as BAC for Bad ### Crusaders and a friend of mine who went to BC referred to BC as his "badsass" college. That may not count but I'm willing to be more than a few Crusaders attended BC. However Jesuits are always changing and BAC did have it's famous uniform change.

Madison's show depicted a battle. There are Jesuits who do great work with kids in gangs which can be a battlefield and Jesuits always like a good fight, so Madison may be the most Jesuit corps.

I had dinner one evening at a Jesuit residence and never saw such a well stocked bar, so perhaps Spirit and it's tribute to speakeasies make our friends from the south the perfect Jesuit corps.

The least Jesuit corps of last year's finalists:

Phantom: while Jesuits are great at helping people conquerr their inner demons, they are not into murder.

Blue Stars: voodoo and the Jesuits are not compatible though their 2008 "Tour de France" show celebrates personal excellence and that's pretty Jesuity.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Jesuit drumcorps? Do inactive ones count? Some unknown force caused me to pull this out of unused memories...

Saint Francis Xavier Sancians

http://corpsreps.com...orpstype=Junior

Named after this guy, I'm assuming...

http://en.wikipedia..../Francis_Xavier

Indirectly, yes. The corps was sponsored by St. Francis Xavier Parish in Weymouth, MA and the corps took it's name from the parish that was named after the saint. There was also a corps from a parish named after the great founder of the Jesuits: St. Ignatius of Hicksville, NY. Another parish named after a Jesuit saint that has a drum corps was St. Aloysius Cadets of Indian Orchard, MA. I'll have to admit I needed the help of Corpsreps to find that one and even though I'm a lifelong Massachusetts, I have no idea where Indian Orchard is located.

Edited by Tim K

So because the Pope has a license plate of SCV1 and Santa Clara University is a Jesuit college, some are concluding that Santa Clara Vanguard is a Jesuit corps? Well SCV's show this year was based on a tale of liberty and rights with characters who are dedicated but flawed, so that would be a Jesuit kind of theme. Also, Victor Hugo who wrote Les Miserables the novel on which the musical was based sometimes irked the Church and the Jesuits do too which could make SCV a Jesuit corps, but are they the most "Jesuit" corps? Maybe, maybe not. Here are some other possibilities as the most Jesuit drum corps:

Carolina Crown's show was a combination of many talents and Jesuits always encourage using gifts for something greater than ourselves so Crown has Jesuit possibilities.

Blue Devils shows as of late are a stroke of genius but often leave people scratching their heads and saying what? Have you ever been a student in a class taught by a Jesuit? It can be like a combination of "Rewrite of Spring" and "Cabaret Voltaire."

As far as Cadets are concerned, Jesuits can be controversial and our friend George H. can be controversial.

Bluecoats show questioned what it means to be American and Jesuits question everything.

Jesuits are believed to be secretive so perhaps "Secret Society" makes Cavies a great Jesuit corps.

Boston Crusaders have the initials BC and BC Boston College is a Jesuit school, though most of us of a certain era refer to Boston Crusaders as BAC for Bad ### Crusaders and a friend of mine who went to BC referred to BC as his "badsass" college. That may not count but I'm willing to be more than a few Crusaders attended BC. However Jesuits are always changing and BAC did have it's famous uniform change.

Madison's show depicted a battle. There are Jesuits who do great work with kids in gangs which can be a battlefield and Jesuits always like a good fight, so Madison may be the most Jesuit corps.

I had dinner one evening at a Jesuit residence and never saw such a well stocked bar, so perhaps Spirit and it's tribute to speakeasies make our friends from the south the perfect Jesuit corps.

The least Jesuit corps of last year's finalists:

Phantom: while Jesuits are great at helping people conquerr their inner demons, they are not into murder.

Blue Stars: voodoo and the Jesuits are not compatible though their 2008 "Tour de France" show celebrates personal excellence and that's pretty Jesuity.

Well done!

But you too didn't mention the Crossmen. And God knows how many Protests the Jesuits have been part of. Including a hand in the great Protestation.

And would not Teilhard de Chardin, S.J. dig the Blue Knights' show about the development of Life in Circles?

Edited by normy diploome

Jesuit drumcorps? Do inactive ones count? Some unknown force caused me to pull this out of unused memories...

Saint Francis Xavier Sancians

http://corpsreps.com...orpstype=Junior

Named after this guy, I'm assuming...

http://en.wikipedia..../Francis_Xavier

As one who was taught by several Jesuit professors, was not in fact the corps name Sancians taken from the name of the island where SFX died? At least that is the story in S. Weymouth to this day.

I know Xavier Academy in Manhattan, NYC has its own parade drum and bugle corps and drill team. They also do football and soccer games with a limited drill, old school style.

• Like 2

Apologizing in advance; sorry but I find the word interesting very interesting ; )

Fascinating (???)

• Like 2

Well done!

But you too didn't mention the Crossmen. And God knows how many Protests the Jesuits have been part of. Including a hand in the great Protestation.

And would not Teilhard de Chardin, S.J. dig the Blue Knights' show about the development of Life in Circles?

I didn't include Crossmen because they were not in the top 12 but your point is well taken. I did forget Blue Knights, sorry BK fans. You're right about this past year's show being Jesuity but I would have to sy that last year, it would take a team of Jesuits to figure out "Avian." Now if Blue Knights don't want forgive me and get back at me, that would be following an old Jesuit saying said by many a Dean of Discipline "Mercy is for God, my job is justice"

• Like 2