Just look at what we've done

See what happens when those of us who've participated in open/world class corps have set such a high standard over the years? High school kids try to emulate what we've done before, go racing around the field, and get into this kind of trouble...

But we may very well see some good come out of it. Anyone in that tangled-up mess who eventually tries out for and lands a position in a DCI competitive unit will already have any propensity to fall down worked out of their systems, and they aren't likely to fall down again. (What are you laughing at?)

• Like 1

The pratfall has a storied tradition in stage and screen. Maybe it's time to bring that element into drum corps.

Perhaps appropriately, that band's show is titled "Adrenaline"!

See what happens when those of us who've participated in open/world class corps have set such a high standard over the years? High school kids try to emulate what we've done before, go racing around the field, and get into this kind of trouble...

But we may very well see some good come out of it. Anyone in that tangled-up mess who eventually tries out for and lands a position in a DCI competitive unit will already have any propensity to fall down worked out of their systems, and they aren't likely to fall down again. (What are you laughing at?)

Can't tell'em to go "break a leg" because that's (sadly) already been done before....so how about a new take on "ground your horns".

Will this video be used as an argument for not marching tubas?

Will this video be used as an argument for not marching tubas?

Ssshush! You'll give corps management ideas.

At 5K per marching tuba x 20 tubas that would be a savings of $100,000! Nothing to laugh at.

Especially since several corps already "double-down" or 're-inforce" the sound via their synthesizers.

It's not like we have seen any accidents or fires with the synthesizers...

...or have we?:sad:

Edited by drilltech1

Ssshush! You'll give corps management ideas.

At 5K per marching tuba x 20 tubas that would be a savings of $100,000! Nothing to laugh at.

Especially since several corps already "double-down" or 're-inforce" the sound via their synthesizers.

It's not like we have seen any accidents or fires with the synthesizers...

Crown will try to get away with classifying their tuba line as members of the pit by stationing each one behind a tympani or two on the sidelines.

Every once in a while, they'll apply the bells of the tubas to the tympani heads, and blow.

• Like 2

Just exactly what did "we" do? I saw a bit of what I love about drum corps old and new.

As I looked at the video with the "tuba pileup" (I thought the wrap around tubas were sousaphones, but that's neither here nor there), and also saw the entire show on YouTube, I was rather impressed. First, that band looked good and there's no question the show was influenced by contemporary drum corps.Those marchers got up without clownish actions or drawing attention to themselves and continued as if nothing happened. Some would say that's drum corps' influence as well, especially old schoolers (watch the ending of 1980 North Star finals with a mini-bump/collision). The kids should be proud.

Now since it happened at a half time show and not a competition, they gave everyone something to remember and since it doesn't look like anyone was hurt, all's well that ends well. Now out of curiosity, I wondered what happened at the game. The school is Lake Travis High School and they played a game against Austin High. Since Lake Travis won, but a huge score no less, the band's performance will all be seen as adding to a great night. The only thing that's too bad--it was an away game so maybe there will be some ribbing by their opponents.

• Like 1

Just exactly what did "we" do? I saw a bit of what I love about drum corps old and new.

That was just my attempt at humor, using a tone of "Oh my god, what have we done? The youth of America are mimicking our risky behavior! Woe is us!"

I found and watched the video with their complete show as well, and even left a comment. I thought it was cool (my high school band certainly didn't attempt anything like that), and if more high school bands tackled ambitious stuff like that, then there'd probably be a larger group of performers prepared for for this activity. It could signal positive things.

• Like 1

There are numerous bands across America that do shows at this level. The entire "popular"/Hollywood/TV/public perception of HS marching bands as stupid/nerdy/etc. is so totally removed from reality that people as surprised when they see a HS band do a program like this. I know, I've been writing them for 30+ years. Just look from the better band programs from PA, MA, KY, GA, OH, TX, CA, etc. There are HS band programs operating at this level in just about every state in the country, and they are not the exception. AND you ought to go hear their concert bands too. Want to hear where all the really cool new music is being done? Go to a good HS or college band concert.

As a former HS band director for over 25 years, I'm just fed up with the public's (and unfortunately some posters on DCP) perception of what HS bands are actually like.

/rant off

Edited by Steve Knob
  • Like 2