Just look at what we've done

Having a kid in band has really changed my attitude about new ideas like electronics etc. Look at what THEY like instead of the way we did it. It took a real look at myself to change my opinion and believe me I was against a lot. Now i try to be more open minded. See what having kids can do for you?

(I thought the wrap-around tubas were sousaphones, but that's neither here nor there)

Yes, all sousaphones are tubas, but not all tubas are sousaphones.

• Like 1

Having a kid in band has really changed my attitude about new ideas like electronics etc. Look at what THEY like instead of the way we did it. It took a real look at myself to change my opinion and believe me I was against a lot. Now i try to be more open minded. See what having kids can do for you?

I really don't believe that " the young " are a monolithic group that all share the same likes and dislikes however. Otherwise " the young " on all these high school football teams would share the same likes and dislikes as all those in the High School Bands. Even within the football teams and within the Bands themselves there is a wide diversity regarding likes and dislilkes. So when you say you've learned to listen to " THEY ", I learn to put " THEY' into perspective and try to be " open minded " enough that what one person tells me they like or dislike... of any age.... is not representative of much more than their own personal likes and dislikes. Plus, " the young " are not responsible for what is on Drum Corps field today in terms of uniforms, instrumentation, show designs, etc.Not unless you consider " the young " being those over the age of 50. As a matter of fact, unlike pop culture, Rock Music, Rap Music, Alternative Music, Clothing, etc, other youth genres and trends, if you define " the young " as under the age of 25 or so, " THEY " are generally not involved at all in the major decisions on uniforms, instrumentation useage, styles, music played etc in DCI Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh brother.

Care to elaborate ?

I really don't believe that " the young " are a monolithic group that all share the same likes and dislikes however. Otherwise " the young " on all these high school football teams would share the same likes and dislikes as all those in the High School Bands. Even within the football teams and within the Bands themselves there is a wide diversity regarding likes and dislilkes. So when you say you've learned to listen to " THEY ", I learn to put " THEY' into perspective and try to be " open minded " enough that what one person tells me they like or dislike... of any age.... is not representative of much more than their own personal likes and dislikes. Plus, " the young " are not responsible for what is on Drum Corps field today in terms of uniforms, instrumentation, show designs, etc.Not unless you consider " the young " being those over the age of 50. As a matter of fact, unlike pop culture, Rock Music, Rap Music, Alternative Music, Clothing, etc, other youth genres and trends, if you define " the young " as under the age of 25 or so, " THEY " are generally not involved at all in the major decisions on uniforms, instrumentation useage, styles, music played etc in DCI Drum Corps.

You're right that there is diversity in views among the young regarding all types of issues. The Flamster was implying a trend among the young toward more innovative ideas, and that implication is probably accurate although I suspect plenty of innovations came from older folks as well.

Furthermore, while corps members may only rarely have formal input into specific creative decisions, I believe the successful corps try hard to incorporate the values they sense from conversations with members. The reason they are successful is because they attract the largest pool of talented members to choose from. So they have to give them at least some of what they want.

I believe the successful corps try hard to incorporate the values they sense from conversations with members.

I havn't noticed this in my travels and discussions with staff however when they go about designing their shows in the offseason. Their is lots of turnovers in Corps these days. Most of the meetings of Corps Show Designers in DCI typically are closed to current marchers, and future marchers. The entire show is designed by adult staff usually under a veil of winter secrecy... these Show Designers in the top Corps are mostly over 50-55 years old. They guess what they believe that the young want to wear for uniforms, want to play, want to use as props, choreograhy. They do it in this fashion... in my opinion.... because these shows that they design will likewise be judged by those like themselves... over the age of 50 ( and some nudging close to 70 years old now ). I have never been involved with any Corps, nor Corps staff, that draw up their music and show theme, uniforms, show choreography, etc with major input from the performers. The tradition in Rock Music, Alternative Music, Rap Music, etc with other youth driven genres however is that the music, lyrics, and the performer's clothes, staging, etc is primarily driven by either the young performer himself or herself, or by somebody under the age of 30. But thats not the tradition we have in DCI Drum Corps ( good, bad, or indifferent ) at all. The tradition DCI Drum Corps has is for the older adults ( most of whom are age qualified for AARP membership ) to choose the theme, design, music, equipment, uniforms, costuming, etc for the young performers. I don't see this long time tradition changing much in the future either. Do you ?

Edited by BRASSO

I havn't noticed this in my travels and discussions with staff however when they go about designing their shows in the offseason. Their is lots of turnovers in Corps these days. Most of the meetings of Corps Show Designers in DCI typically are closed to current marchers, and future marchers. The entire show is designed by adult staff usually under a veil of winter secrecy... these Show Designers in the top Corps are mostly over 50-55 years old. They guess what they believe that the young want to wear for uniforms, want to play, want to use as props, choreograhy. They do it in this fashion... in my opinion.... because these shows that they design will likewise be judged by those like themselves... over the age of 50 ( and some nudging close to 70 years old now ). I have never been involved with any Corps, nor Corps staff, that draw up their music and show theme, uniforms, show choreography, etc with major input from the performers. The tradition in Rock Music, Alternative Music, Rap Music, etc with other youth driven genres however is that the music, lyrics, and the performer's clothes, staging, etc is primarily driven by either the young performer himself or herself, or by somebody under the age of 30. But thats not the tradition we have in DCI Drum Corps ( good, bad, or indifferent ) at all. The tradition DCI Drum Corps has is for the older adults ( most of whom are age qualified for AARP membership ) to choose the theme, design, music, equipment, uniforms, costuming, etc for the young performers. I don't see this long time tradition changing much in the future either. Do you ?

Yes you are right...this is mostly how it is done..of course I can't speak for all but I do thin k I can for many. The ideas, innovation, exploration is still by those you mention. Usually, ( not always ) that younger designer of today doesn't look at the whole picture and trys to do something " cool " which almost never works out. Now of course there is always an exception to the rule with people BUT this is mostly how it's done. Like in many things , I am not trying to say everyone but many times a younger instructor doesnt have the insight of not only the design process but like it or not haven't learned how to play the game ....................and yes its a game just like most things we as adults have to learn to be successful ..

And yet, compare the ages of Hopkins, Hannum, Zingali when they won DCI rings in 4 out of 5 years back in the '80's. None of them were even 30!

Compare the BD design team when they began their march toward ring zillion-teen. None of them were that old either. Nor Fiedler at Cavies.

And yet, they stayed and stayed and stayed.

So age alone is not the measure although it is the presumption today.