Just look at what we've done

And yet, compare the ages of Hopkins, Hannum, Zingali when they won DCI rings in 4 out of 5 years back in the '80's. None of them were even 30!

Compare the BD design team when they began their march toward ring zillion-teen. None of them were that old either. Nor Fiedler at Cavies.

And yet, they stayed and stayed and stayed.

So age alone is not the measure although it is the presumption today.

it is very different...many of the people then and many who still drive the boat so to speak wrote the rules as well as pushed the envelope and still are...very few have been able to match it............even for myself , Ive often said there should be some 20 something year old that should be knocking me off my perch....lol.....well, Im still here....lol and so are many from the past.....ok theres the good and bad of that....In judging I think many do need to make room for others........but again very few step up to the plate

Edited by GUARDLING

And furthermore,

I wouldn't consider Colin MacNutt part of the AARP crowd by any measure. Is he even forty?

And furthermore,

I wouldn't consider Colin MacNutt part of the AARP crowd by any measure. Is he even forty?

not sure about the age BUT if you read back I did say (not always ) and that there's always an exception to that rule BUT it is for the most part.....especially designers.............if you werent answering me then ok

Edited by GUARDLING

Not debating, Guardling.

Just reminding Brasso not everyone was his classmate at Jurassic Park Hi.

Edited by drilltech1

And yet, compare the ages of Hopkins, Hannum, Zingali when they won DCI rings in 4 out of 5 years back in the '80's. None of them were even 30!

In the 70's, DCI had judges judging on Finals Night that were not yet 30 years of age. But... as we know, "things do change " Today, we don't have judges judging on Finals Night that are in their 20's. We don't even have judges judging Finals that are in their 30's. The tradition we have adopted for DCI is for older people ( mostly all male ) to design shows to be judged by older judges ( mostly all male ) to be performed by the young on Finals Night, and broadcast up in the upstairs booth to a couple of older guys to comment on to the public watching the broadcast. Its been this way for awhile now as "a tradition " .Apparently it works, and so thats that.

Edited by BRASSO

In the 70's, DCI had judges judging on Finals Night that were not yet 30 years of age. But... as we know, "things do change " Today, we don't have judges judging on Finals Night that are in their 20's. We don't even have judges judging Finals that are in their 30's. The tradition we have adopted for DCI is for older people ( mostly all male ) to design shows to be judged by older judges ( mostly all male ) to be performed by the young on Finals Night, and broadcast up in the upstairs booth to a couple of older guys to comment on to the public watching the broadcast. Its been this way for awhile now as "a tradition " .Apparently it works, and so thats that.

Yea, I've seen you post this theme several times but didn't get the point, frankly. Now I do, and I agree. It seems to work.

Further, I think it's the best way to judge. If 25 year olds were judging 21 years olds, would the scores be different? Would attendance be different?

In most places, "gray hair" is honored as experienced and valued. I don't see it much different here, although I was intrigued to find out that BD utilizes its marching members to help design the show beyond the core concept. That's a way to keep design fresh; it's also a way to further demonstrate how out-of-sync an older generation could be with a younger one. "Gaga-esque" shows make me wonder if the design is based on what the kids want, or a desire by the designers to show how hip they are.

The only problem I can see is if the old guys are colluding between themselves to push the activity one direction or another.

Yea, I've seen you post this theme several times but didn't get the point, frankly. Now I do, and I agree. It seems to work.

Further, I think it's the best way to judge. If 25 year olds were judging 21 years olds, would the scores be different? Would attendance be different?

In most places, "gray hair" is honored as experienced and valued. I don't see it much different here, although I was intrigued to find out that BD utilizes its marching members to help design the show beyond the core concept. That's a way to keep design fresh; it's also a way to further demonstrate how out-of-sync an older generation could be with a younger one. "Gaga-esque" shows make me wonder if the design is based on what the kids want, or a desire by the designers to show how hip they are.

The only problem I can see is if the old guys are colluding between themselves to push the activity one direction or another.

of course the activity is being pushed by a certain few....whatever the ages are....its always been like this....if we want to admit that or are in the inner circles to see it or not.

That sort of makes it look like DCI judges overall were primarily under-30 back in the 70's, which was just not the case. I picked 1976 finals to look at first...most of the judges I can recall by name were at least over 35...some well over...I browsed the rest of the decade, and the same applies...actually a lot of the same people were judging throughout the timeframe. I'm sure there were indeed some younger folks...more so than today, to be sure, but a many of the names through the 70's were the people who were judging before DCI came along.