Unintentional Crash Scenes in Drum Corps

The venerable "Granny Smith" shared a Youtube clip of a group of high school sousaphone players crashing and having a pile up, but it's been locked. My guess is that the video violates copyright laws, and it is, horror of horrors a marching band, or perhaps what some believe George Hopkins will want The Cadets to look like next year, but have there been drum corps pile ups? I'm not sure I've ever seen one on any of the Legacy DVD's or the finals from 2000-2012, at least I don't think I have, although there is a humorous shot of a marcher marching backwards, bumping into another marcher and knocking the horn out of another marchers mouth in the 1980 North Star finale ("Ole"). I also remember the first time I saw Crown's 2012 show with what at first looked like a crash scene where I wondered if someone was seriously hurt, only to see a color guard member thrown in the air and caught, which of course turned out to be a carefully orchestrated, and I might add effective move.

But have there been any major crashes in let's say, the past ten years and how did it impact the outcome?

The venerable "Granny Smith" shared a Youtube clip of a group of high school sousaphone players crashing and having a pile up, but it's been locked. My guess is that the video violates copyright laws, and it is, horror of horrors a marching band, or perhaps what some believe George Hopkins will want The Cadets to look like next year, but have there been drum corps pile ups? I'm not sure I've ever seen one on any of the Legacy DVD's or the finals from 2000-2012, at least I don't think I have, although there is a humorous shot of a marcher marching backwards, bumping into another marcher and knocking the horn out of another marchers mouth in the 1980 North Star finale ("Ole"). I also remember the first time I saw Crown's 2012 show with what at first looked like a crash scene where I wondered if someone was seriously hurt, only to see a color guard member thrown in the air and caught, which of course turned out to be a carefully orchestrated, and I might add effective move.

But have there been any major crashes in let's say, the past ten years and how did it impact the outcome?

I believe Granny replicated a thread already posted by Chuck H earlier. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/158060-just-look-at-what-weve-done/

Did not Spirit have one in Indy this year? Even without the "drinking." Your question evokes memories of the Cadets years back at Whitewater attempting that Zingali ending.

You mentioned Crown '12 and I hope that Mr. Brannen is still continuing to heal and improve. Wasn't he a podium prince at one point this season?

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

In Blue Knights' show at Erie show this summer, the circular tarp upon which the non-circular platform was set (at front and to the left of the pit) was not laid out entirely flat. Late in the show, a tenor player tripped on it and went down, and a minute later, four trumpet players in a row tripped on the same spot but managed to keep from falling.

I remember midseason a few years back Phantom Regiment had about a 13 person collision. They were marching backwards and someone tripped, and the next dozen people fell on top of them. Not completely sure of the year, but I think it was the same show that the girl is hanging from the pole throwing a temper tantrum, I am thinking maybe 99? I am thinking someone had gotten a bloody lip from it, and a couple of players hit their heads on the horn behind them. I am thinking the show was in either Dixon, Dekalb, or Dubuque for some reason.

You mentioned Crown '12 and I hope that Mr. Brannen is still continuing to heal and improve. Wasn't he a podium prince at one point this season?

Last year, he aged-out on the podium. Leg injury from 2010 kept him from marching on the field

By the end of the season, I would think most collisions would be worked out of the program. The infamous 84 Garfield one was at Whitewater....middle of the season.

07 Mandarins had a few falls in the battery at the Concord show due to the guard misplacing the poles they had on the field(similar to BD's from this year...just a lot less of them)

"UNINTENTIONAL" crash scenes?! A more interesting discussion might concern the intentional times brass or percussion players fell, and had their fellow members fall over them :tounge2:

* edited to take out the humor spelling mistake

Edited by perc2100

"UNINTENTIONAL" crash scenes?! A more interesting discussion might concern the intentional times bras or percussion players fell, and had their fellow members fall over them :tounge2:

Now this should be interesting!

Ah, Perc.

You edited it! Make me look like the DOM. HA!

Edited by normy diploome