Update on Military drum corps...

A few weeks back Michael Boo had a thread expaining the absence of the Marine D&B Corps at Indy and much discussion about sequester consequences and priorities followed before John Z locked the thread. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/157877-why-usmc-db-corps-wasnt-in-indy/

Earlier this week the joint military academies announced the cancellation this year of the annual Intra-academies Drum and Bugle Corps Contest for Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Today's development is the announcement of the DOD that all intercollegiate sports at the academies will be suspended in light of the govt. shut down. So no public appearences or travel for these three corps. I guess Jeff Prosperie and his West Point Hellcats drum line won't see travel either. Boo will certainly not be happy.:shutup:

Edited by drilltech1

Boo will certainly not be happy.:shutup:

What makes me happy is seeing drum corps exposed to as many people as possible, whether it's DCI, DCA, the activity in other countries or via the military ensembles. Anything that gets people exposed to drum corps benefits us all, I believe, and contributes to the survival of the activity.

I'm not even going to attempt to provide a solution...I don't have one. And blaming politics on either side isn't going to help us further promote drum corps, which I believe is one of the greatest activities ever created for youth. I know what it did for me and I've seen what it's done for others. If I'm remembered as nothing more than a cheerleader for the activity, I would be happy.

These are trying times for all corps, as these are trying times for a lot of organizations. As much as we need each other to get through this, we need the joy and benefits of drum corps...now more than ever.

• Like 2

There's also a thread about this on the DCA forums below. Note that the interservice competition was cancelled not due to financial reasons but because it took too much time from the cadets' studies and other responsibilities.