Hey! What's this new look to DCP?!

The decision for the user interface was actually quite simple: use the 'standard' IP.Board 'skin'. In the past, I have spent days customizing (design/code/test) the user interface thru customizations to the 'skin' and other elements of the system - which often must be re-written each time there is a significant upgrade to the system by the publisher. The effect has been that updates to the core system have happened less frequently than optimal - exposing the system and community to all sorts of nefarious things lurking in the interwebs.

With this update, I have decided to use the 'standard' skin - which will make it *much* easier to keep-up with software patches and updates. The features of the system are defined by the publisher of the package we hitched our horse to many years ago, so as they change features - we see those changes. Are there 'better' options out there - sure. Are we going to spend a lot of time exploring them and the migration of 29,000+ users and 2.3 million+ posts - no, we're not.

This really isn't a topic for debate, but rather the reality of my available resources today. We can crave the features we used to have and like ... but its really a moot point, as the software works as it does. If the features of the system or color of the interface cause people to leave, then I'll wish you well on your journey.

We'll do our best to explore this new version with you and explain how things work along the way. Please use the Member Service Center forum to ask your questions - where we can answer them for the benefit of all.

Thanks!

-john

Did we do away with post ratings?

I see "Like" and "unlike".

If I "like" someone's post, do I get an invite to the prom?

:tounge2:

I only see "Like This" - I guess there's a exclusive club that gets the "Unlike" button? :tounge2:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

nm.

Edited by normy diploome

I'm more concerned about the 10 msgs per page. Pagination in a thread conversation is just plain bad UX design. There's a complete loss of context if you see just a small window on a long thread. And the rationale of paging (conserving bandwidth/io cycles on a 1200 baud modem) is long past. Loading content on scrolling (and using Ajax so the entire DOM tree does *not* reload) is far more efficient then pagination.

Finally the lame excuse the developers provide is "url integrity". That's ridiculous. No need to post a URL to a thread when the product itself offers links to every message in the message header. Hopefully their customers will blow up their support lines and Invision will change their minds -- soon.

I couldn't agree more. Ten messages per page is absurd. The fact that this was removed by the software devs smacks of an attempt by forum owners to drive page views up in order to make the site more lucritive for advertisers (not saying John or DCP does this in any way). It's a terrible that such a user-friendly feature was removed.

As much as the new look may be pleasing, the downsized feature set certainly isn't. It may be time DCP looked elsewhere for a software solution.

• Like 1

No - you can only "Unlike" something that you've already "Liked". There are no 'negative' ratings, per-se. "Like This" ... or not.

Got it - I actually like the changes.

No - you can only "Unlike" something that you've already "Liked". There are no 'negative' ratings, per-se. "Like This" ... or not.

Not sure I understand the "Like" function. Does it show up somewhere? Do others see that I "Like" a post? Do posters gather "Likes"

I'm corn-fused.

• Like 1

This means we have to resort to old school flaming instead. Just like it was in the good old RAMD days.

• Like 1