RIP......Stephen Covitz

Posted by Susan Machado and Cheryl Bedrosian, the sisters of Stephen Covitz. his life on this earth has come to an end after a long illness. I had the honor to march with Stephen in 1973 and again in 1994 with the 27th Lancers. He was as kind a human being as anyone I've ever known. A brilliant and creative mind, he loved teaching color guard.

He taught the 27th Lancers for many years with George Zingali and competed against him in the greater Boston winter color guard circuit. They remained loyal friends until George's passing. Those of you that knew George - you can hear him in heaven seeing Stephen arrive...."OMG - what are you sh*tting me.....Stephen - wait until you see what we can create up here"......

I expect the death notice and services will be announced in the Boston Globe newspaper on Thursday, Oct 3.

• Like 1

A little something that might help some relate to Steven's work a bit more: In 1975, Steven is the instructor who ran with the idea of double flags, first seen in the corps' version of "Celebrate." The flags were the idea of Marie Gambale, who instructed the middle of three winter guards of St. Anthony's from 27th's hometown, but it was Steven who brought the idea to the field with the front ten flags during this piece. The double flags made another appearance during the rotating wheel of the "Danny Boy" closer.

For someone new to the activity since 1975, it would be understandably difficult, perhaps, to comprehend this being a big deal. However, at the time, it was HUGE and it forever changed thinking about how flags could be utilized on the field...probably opening up the path to other instructors feeling comfortable about trying out other things that had never been done before. This was an age when we were waking up to possibilities of uniqueness and the exploration of innovation, and few ensembles led the way in demonstrating that more so than the 27th Lancers color guard.

Steven's impact, therefore, may well be felt yet today. RIP.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to get to know Steven through his involvement with the Lancers, with his many guards in the EMass and Boston CYO circuits, and through his friendships with drum corps greats such as George Zingali, Peggy Twiggs, Ann Field, Jerry Coradino, and Marc Sylvester. I always found him to be a creative, gentle, and most pleasant person. Quietly he touched many lives directly and through his creative genius. May he now be blessed and rewarded eternally for his goodness.

three winter guards of St. Anthony's from 27th's hometown,

For accuracy sake, 27th was from Revere, Ma.... St. Anthony's Guards were from Everett, Ma. ( nearby City ). But not to quibble, small point.

RIP Steve Covitz, 27th.

But of course, Brasso, there was the famous guard of elementary school kids taught by George Zingali, one of his first units. It was sponsored by St. Anthony's parish in Revere, Mass., the same parish both he and George Bonfiglio were buried from. St. Anthony's Imperials out of Everett was a different parish whose guards have seen many great legends, Bruce Leo and Jay Murphy among them.

So many Boston parishes, so many duplicating saint names.

Edited by normy diploome

three winter guards of St. Anthony's from 27th's hometown,

For accuracy sake, 27th was from Revere, Ma.... St. Anthony's Guards were from Everett, Ma. ( nearby City ). But not to quibble, small point.

RIP Steve Covitz, 27th.

For accuracy sake, St. Anthony's Church is in Revere, and they sponsored a competitive band and winter guard. Like many parishes in the Archdiocese of Boston - Revere had at least two Catholic churches - the other being Immaculate Conception - home of the Reveries. St. Anthony's Revere competed against St. Anthony's Everett - which was taught by Bruce Leo.

Mike Boo's comments above were that( his quote ) " Marie Gambale instructed the middle of the 3 Guards from St. Anthony's from 27th's hometown ( Revere ). If St. Anthony's of Revere had 3 Winter Guards, I stand corrected. If they did not, then for clarification sake, it should be pointed out... as I did above. I do recognize the ease with which confusion can take place as both Revere (27th ) and nearby Everett BOTH had " St. Anthony " Catholic Parishes, and both had Winter Guards. I am not aware however that St. Anthony's of Revere had " 3 Winter Guards " competing at any one time. Am I incorrect in this observation ?

That all said, once again, my condolences to the Covitz family for their loss.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Mike Boo's comments above were that( his quote ) " Marie Gambale instructed the middle of the 3 Guards from St. Anthony's from 27th's hometown ( Revere ). If St. Anthony's of Revere had 3 Winter Guards, I stand corrected. If they did not, then for clarification sake, it should be pointed out... as I did above. I do recognize the ease with which confusion can take place as both Revere (27th ) and nearby Everett BOTH had " St. Anthony " Catholic Parishes, and both had Winter Guards. I am not aware however that St. Anthony's of Revere had " 3 Winter Guards " competing at any one time. Am I incorrect in this observation ?

That all said, once again, my condolences to the Covitz family for their loss.

That's what I was told by a couple people from 27th when I was putting together an article on the corps' 1975 show for another website. Also, please note that I never stated that all three guards competed. You added that in your response.

Edited by Michael Boo

Stephen had a gift that will be missed. I always enjoyed his creative shows. Consolations to his sisters and many Lancer and guard friends. RIP.

Edited by drilltech1

That's what I was told by a couple people from 27th when I was putting together an article on the corps' 1975 show for another website. Also, please note that I never stated that all three guards competed. You added that in your response.

Having marched in the CYO Band circuit for 7 years prior to joining 27th in Oct 1972, I know my parish had 3 units - a beginner, "junior" and Prep or Senior. The beginners did not get out in public - the others did compete and march in parades.

I cannot remember St Anthony Revere having three units. I am 100% positive that George Zingali marched with, and taught them prior to his joined 27th in the fall of 1972. And FWIW - St Anthony Revere winter guard became Quasar, and later, a majority of those performers became Erte.

The point of this thread was to pay homage to Stephen Covitz - nothing more, nothing less.