RIP......Stephen Covitz

Update on wake and funeral arrangements for Stephen Covitz - revised Oct 5

Visitation Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM Paul Buonfiglio & Sons-Bruno Funeral Home 128 Revere Street Revere, MA 02151

Funeral Monday, Oct. 7, 2013 9:30 AM

Service Monday, Oct. 7, 2013 10:30 AM

Interment Mon, Oct 7, 2013 Woodlawn Cemetery

Edited by LancerLegend

Regarding the two St. Anthony's--Everett, a neighboring city to Revere, had a drill team St. Anthony Imperials. In their day they were in the top tier of drill teams, their major rival being their neighbors St. Therese "Little Flowers." They were also a powerhouse in winter guards in the 1970's and I think they had rather close ties with 27th.

St. Anthony Revere was a band. To the best of my knowledge there was just one unit, t least when the band I belonged to competed against them. In general, the bands, drum corps, and drill teams of the CYO circuit had ether "junior" and "senior" units, the junior being the feeders and the seniors being the older and more accomplished members. Some groups had "prep" units that were usually only one unit and had a broader range of ages. Junior units had to move a certain number up to the senior unit, depending on age and placement after finals. A prep unit could move up to the senior ranks if they placed in the top three at finals. If they won two years in a row, moving up to seniors was mandatory. In my time St. Anthony was a prep band until around 1974 with just one unit, then they moved to seniors for 1975-77 and back down to prep for either 77or 78. I think they moved back to senior in the late 70's. St. Anthony's was not always as strong musically as their competitors, though they were very good, but anything they did with their guard and drill was always ahead of most of the other bands, drill teams, and even drum corps.

The 27th Lancers Facebook page has a nice tribute to Stephen Covitz written by George Bonfiglio's daughter Patte who spoke of Mr. Covitz's creativity and generosity which says a great deal because let's face it, 27th may have been one of the most entertaining and innovative corps of their day, but they are perhaps the classic "bang for your buck" corps that did it on a bare bones budget, often with what should have been paid staff doing it for little or no pay. His passing is another reminder of the many generous people who gave of themselves to make our activity what it is today.

re: Tim K: "they are perhaps the classic'bang for your buck' corps that did it on a bare bones budget, often with what should have been paid staff doing it for little or no pay. His passing is another reminder of the many generous people who gave of themselves to make our activity what it is today." [edit: emphasis, mine]

Amen! Preach it Fr. Tim.

God bless Stephen Covitz!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Stephen's name came up in conversation this morning, which made me google him and reminisce. 

I saw Stephen at a drum corps show in Lynn when I was with Crown (maybe 2010 or 2011). He asked me my name (I was already "fan-boying" him) and when I told him my name he said, "You were one of George's kids at Cadets! Mae talked about you all the time!" I didn't walk, but floated back to the RV that he knew my name. Stephen was an amazingly talented man. Probably not nearly as known as Zingali, but just as much a part of the fabric at Lancers and with many marching bands up and down the east coast!

• Like 2

On 10/3/2013 at 4:36 PM, LancerLegend said:

For accuracy sake, St. Anthony's Church is in Revere, and they sponsored a competitive band and winter guard. Like many parishes in the Archdiocese of Boston - Revere had at least two Catholic churches - the other being Immaculate Conception - home of the Reveries. St. Anthony's Revere competed against St. Anthony's Everett - which was taught by Bruce Leo.

Another person that left us way too soon; Bruce Leo.  I didn't know there were more than two St. Anthony guards in MA.  

Condolences to the Covitz family.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many talented, loving people who left this earth too early. May they be looking down on the 2021 season with their blessing!

• Like 1