Economic Impact

The Presiden't Cup (http://www.presidentscup.com/ ) golf tournament hosts its innaugural event at Muirfield Country Club, in Dublin Ohio. Dublin is also home to the Emerald City Music Games.

The President's Cup is expected to bring $50million-plus to the central Ohio area (Dublin is a suburb of Columbus). I have corporate clients who are flying in just to host their clients at the golf course.

What sort of impact, economically, does DCI have to Indy? What about Atlanta, or A-Town?

And how do the show directors at ECMG make their "stop on the DCI annual competitive tour" relevent in a community such as Dublin that enjoys international recognition by golf fans?

Can't speak to the economic impact in Indy, but I CAN tell you that if you go to Muirfield for the tournament, get trashed at the Grey Goose tent and loudly heckle Rory McIlroy for his bright orange outfit during tee-off, you get thrown out pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Speaking of Allentown, I think the sales taxes generated from the snow cone concession alone could fund the mosquito abatement program of a small country.

• Like 5

Michael: Are you referring to Minnesota or Wisconsin?

Garfield: What is a ECMG that you mention? Too many possibilities come up on the web to be certain how to understand you.

... What sort of impact, economically, does DCI have to Indy?

I actually asked the administrations of both DCI and BOA this very question. They did not give me hard numbers, but the response from both was similar. DCI and BOA both informed me that:

a) While it is true that The Colts bring in more actual fans to fill Lucas Oil Stadium than do DCI or BOA, the data shows that most of those fans live within a close enough driving distance to arrive early Sunday and drive back home late Sunday; and with exception of something like The Super Bowl, the marching events held a Lucas each year quantatativly bring in way more 'out-of-state' visitors needing accomidations like extended stay hotel rooms and multiple days of meals provided at restaraunts in the downtown area of Indy than do The Colts. This means that DCI and BOA have a greater impact on businesses like 'hotels and restaraunts' in downtown Indy during the week of their events than the NFL.

b) That because of this quantatative economic impact on business in downtown Indy, DCI and BOA have both received very sweet deals to place their main offices in downtown Indy as well as lease agreements for the stadium.

Again, this is what I was informed by DCI and BOA.

I seem to have found part of the answer to my own question. This from a 2010 article in the Indy Business Journal:

"The Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association has estimated an economic impact of at least $10 million for the annual event."

I don't know, but producing 1/5 of the economic impact of a major, international golf tournament doesn't seem like a bad number for a bunch of band geeks.

I wonder, though, if holding finals in a different but similar city, like Columbus, would produce the same.

I seem to have found part of the answer to my own question. This from a 2010 article in the Indy Business Journal:

"The Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association has estimated an economic impact of at least $10 million for the annual event."

If one were to consider those who attend other than the paid attendees...corps staff, volunteers, etc.—and let's just pull a figure out of the air of 20,000 to work with—then $10,000,000 divided by 20,000 would equal $500 per person. Fans generally stay in hotels, as do some or most volunteers. They either eat in restaurants or, in the case of volunteers, may eat the food that is purchased locally by the corps for the organization. Also, these people hit the shopping centers, the bars, the museums, and pay for parking at the DCI events. $500 per person seems feasible.

I don't know, but producing 1/5 of the economic impact of a major, international golf tournament doesn't seem like a bad number for a bunch of band geeks.

I wonder, though, if holding finals in a different but similar city, like Columbus, would produce the same.

I would think it's at lesat 10 .I remember a WGI statisticfor Dayton before the percussion infusionas it is today was around 13 or 15 million