George Hopkins - soothsayer

Years ago? How many years? You see, you're risking bursting the bubble of the anti-PC crowd, by suggesting that America isn't being ruined by a new PC trend, but rather that such things have always happened from time to time. This, after all, is just one case, and the knee-jerk compulsion to falsely extrapolate from a single case to the state of society in general is a way of life for some.

Hmmmm. So, what you are saying is that the current trend of overt-PC, and I could take up a huge amount of space listing all of them, such as California (link) allowing elementary school, middle school, and high school transgender males into female restrooms, locker rooms, and showers and transgender females into male restrooms, locker rooms, and showers is falsely extrapolating from a single case, not new, and not ruining the very core of reasonable scholastic standards? And what if I, as a member of the so-called anti-PC crowd, am ‘offended’ by my young child having a member of the opposite sex in the school restroom, locker room, and shower? Is that a knee-jerk compulsion extrapolated from a singe case, or a legitimate concern on the current state of PC run amok?

No, you're still getting the horse's head in your bed. It was already scheduled for next Thursday.

Well, it's good to know some things can be depended upon.

Hmmmm. So, what you are saying is that the current trend of overt-PC, and I could take up a huge amount of space listing all of them, such as California (link) allowing elementary school, middle school, and high school transgender males into female restrooms, locker rooms, and showers and transgender females into male restrooms, locker rooms, and showers is falsely extrapolating from a single case, not new, and not ruining the very core of reasonable scholastic standards? And what if I, as a member of the so-called anti-PC crowd, am ‘offended’ by my young child having a member of the opposite sex in the school restroom, locker room, and shower? Is that a knee-jerk compulsion extrapolated from a singe case, or a legitimate concern on the current state of PC run amok?

Mods, what are the parameters of politics on the forum, or does it only relate to political parties?

Mods, what are the parameters of politics on the forum, or does it only relate to political parties?

And the 'P' in PC stands for what word? And the issue of a school allowing or banning a shirt due to PC content is 'not' political?

Edited by Stu

Correct.

Quickly trying to find out how many high schools exist in America, the only realistic estimate I can find is 29484, supposedly according to http://www.publicschoolreview.com/ (though I couldn't find it on that website). Your "long list" would have to be long indeed to suggest a trend.

But even if you did it would be irrelevant, since you are now bringing in other issues to bolster this idea.

The article provides no basis to conclude that there is a significant trend for public schools to ban images of guns in hunting t-shirts. There may be such a trend, but you can't tell from this article.

And here I thought the thread was about DCP's love affair with George Hopkins.

• Like 1

And here I thought the thread was about DCP's love affair with George Hopkins.

This all did start with a discussion about Hopkins; he is the one who called the innocuous implements which are spun and tossed in DCI "wepons of war".

Correct.

Quickly trying to find out how many high schools exist in America, the only realistic estimate I can find is 29484, supposedly according to http://www.publicschoolreview.com/ (though I couldn't find it on that website). Your "long list" would have to be long indeed to suggest a trend.

But even if you did it would be irrelevant, since you are now bringing in other issues to bolster this idea.

The article provides no basis to conclude that there is a significant trend for public schools to ban images of guns in hunting t-shirts. There may be such a trend, but you can't tell from this article.

So, this shirt issue, those kids being expelled from school for playing with harmless air-foam guns (in their own yard, on their own property, on their own time), the kid who got suspended for drawing a picture of his daddy as an army man, etc…, ad infinitum…, I take it that you do not see any of this as PC run amuck.

Correct.

You clearly have not been paying attention to media reports, as there are, I'll say, hundreds of incidences. Does that suggest a "significant trend"? I suppose it depends on how you define significant.

Surely, he doesn't need me to come to his defense, but Stu said "...huge amount of space...", not "long list" as you quoted.

This thread is supposed to be about how prescient GH was in calling military references in drum corps a PC-impolite reference in today's society. Referencing the article was meant to suggest that GH might be more right than he was originally given credit in the August thread.

It was not intended to present a missive, or example, of PC gone amok in society.

Considering the intolerance to references to our Second Amendment and the military that defends us (I'm reminded of the boy who chewed a Pop-Tart in the shape of a gun and was expelled for it), I do wonder how long it will be before rifles in drum corps will become so anti-PC that drum corps is forced to change to "curly things".

Drum Corps kids eat a lot of Pop-Tarts, and GH may be way ahead on this one.

Not that I like it at all...

Edited by garfield