George Hopkins - soothsayer

So my pointing out that a school expelling an elementary school child based on a picture he drew of his loving dad in the United States Army is PC gone wild, and my stating that opinion is offensive? Or pointing out that a school district expelling kids from school for playing with innocuous air foam dart guns (on their parent’s personal property I might add) is PC gone wild, and my stating that opinion is offensive? Or stating that a few, very few, across tis great nation who are offended by wooden rifles in marching activities and think that, apart from factual data, think that the spinning and tossing reflect gun horror and will increase the chance of that child being involved in gun crime is PC gone wild, and my stating that opinion is offensive? All that shows is the PC sort are overly sensitive, and that I am also far from being PC.

GEZZZZZ all the examples that have nothing to do with the subject...you site examples that in YOUR opinion are offensive to some or not then you inject a little on the actual subject at hand...seems like argument just for the sake of argument..................so whatever data you THINK you have , or IF you think there's only a few individuals or NOT or that there possibibly may be issues in some schools or not....so they change the equipment......do I think its necessary because of a few ..NO..can it happen YES...do I care....no not really and as I said guard people will spin anything and would be over it in 40 seconds............................some less....lol...........same with what we are called!!!!!

Edited by GUARDLING

Red post #1 in this thread; all the examples I used are directly related to that posting.

were talking about guard here....at the monent....I think its evolved away from the NRA( Thankfully ) and that political hot spot...so if you feel the need to go back have at it..conversations evolve and move on.....but youre right it did start ( although I dont he intended it to be what it is )..........its like many of the comparisons here ( which to me never make sense ) it's drum corps , a unique activity on it's own and many times with it's own rules and for sure unique passions.

Edited by GUARDLING

As far back as 1983 I thought it was borderline nuts to have replica rifles spinning during Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" - one of the most profound works about Peace ever put on the field.

In 1983 Garfield did not use rifles. They used mini-flags, shawls, chinese lanterns and regular-sized flags during their show, but there were no rifles.

were talking about guard here....at the monent....I think its evolved away from the NRA( Thankfully ) and that political hot spot...so if you feel the need to go back have at it..conversations evolve and move on.....but youre right it did start ( although I dont he intended it to be what it is )..........its like many of the comparisons here ( which to me never make sense ) it's drum corps , a unique activity on it's own and many times with it's own rules and for sure unique passions.

No, we are talking 'the issue of PC' as it applies to guard and wooden rifles and how that relates to other PC issues concerning props, squirt guns, dart guns, school admin PC decisions, etc...

In 1983 Garfield did not use rifles. They used mini-flags, shawls, chinese lanterns and regular-sized flags during their show, but there were no rifles.

If that was a show design decision for Garfield in 1983, as opposed to a knee-jerk reaction to fabricated PC issues, then I see no problem whatsoever.

No, we are talking 'the issue of PC' as it applies to guard and wooden rifles and how that relates to other PC issues concerning props, squirt guns, dart guns, school admin PC decisions, etc...

we were and I thought it moved on to the name for guards or whatever.....but,.maybe those who might not want these things anymore it could be a belief rather than some PC statement or plain ole dont see the point anymore spinning the same ole stuff. If youre having an issue with what some director might have said............so what! who cares they are as much entitled for thir own group as anyone else

we were and I thought it moved on to the name for guards or whatever.....but,.maybe those who might not want these things anymore it could be a belief rather than some PC statement or plain ole dont see the point anymore spinning the same ole stuff. If youre having an issue with what some director might have said............so what! who cares they are as much entitled for thir own group as anyone else

See my post #197; it is indicative of my view on both drum corps and marching band. Design reasons to use other implements, I see no problem; however doing away with them, or changing nomenclature, due to fabricated PC issues by a few who squawk out of obtuse agendas I see as idiotic.

See my post #197; it is indicative of my view on both drum corps and marching band. Design reasons to use other implements, I see no problem; however doing away with them, or changing nomenclature, due to fabricated PC issues by a few who squawk out of obtuse agendas I see as idiotic.

Ive read it all....Im saying whos sayin its a political issue............maybe just an issue of out with the old in with the new........and if 1 I repeat 1 director feels it should go...fine...no biggie....if it's 20 directors....fine