George Hopkins - soothsayer

Ive read it all....Im saying whos sayin its a political issue............maybe just an issue of out with the old in with the new........and if 1 I repeat 1 director feels it should go...fine...no biggie....if it's 20 directors....fine

Post #1 raised the PC issue of the NRA shirt supposedly being ‘offensive’ with a hint at Hopkins being a soothsayer; and by post #6 the connection to the Hopkins ‘implements of war’ (link) was referenced. So this whole thread has been about 'PC issues' from page 1.

Post #1 raised the PC issue of the NRA shirt supposedly being ‘offensive’ with a hint at Hopkins being a soothsayer; and by post #6 the connection to the Hopkins ‘implements of war’ (link) was referenced. So this whole thread has been about 'PC issues' from page 1.

the whole thread or you.....come on now Stuie.......you still refuse to see or think maybe its time to just change the equipment if people within the activity want it so PC reasons or not.........Dont say these issues dont come up because they do..especially nowadays.....few or not..thats not the point.....if its a few rebles....fine it will go nowhere if it catches on hold on...it will change...but either way the world wont end my friend..................................and AGAIN I'll say WHO CARES if 1 director feels this way.....good for him..............he has every right as you do or anyone else for their beliefs.......at any rate its a stalemate conversation so.....have fun buddy :wall: catch ya on your next debate.................maybe.....lol

Edited by GUARDLING

the whole thread or you.....come on now Stuie.......you still refuse to see or think maybe its time to just change the equipment if people within the activity want it so PC reasons or not.........Dont say these issues dont come up because they do..especially nowadays.....few or not..thats not the point.....if its a few rebles....fine it will go nowhere if it catches on hold on...it will change...but either way the world wont end my friend..................................and AGAIN I'll say WHO CARES if 1 director feels this way.....good for him..............he has every right as you do or anyone else for their beliefs

Let's look at some recent DCI shows: If Crown did not want to use rifles in their E=MC2 show for design reasons or The Academy did not want to use rifles in their Piano Man show for design reasons fine; however it would have been PC silliness for Madison to not use them in their 'Corps of Brothers' show or for the Cavilers to yell, "This is my Airblade; there are many like it, but this one is mine". What is happening more and more often across this country, especially with schools, is the latter (PC silliness).

Let's look at some recent DCI shows: If Crown did not want to use rifles in their E=MC2 show for design reasons or The Academy did not want to use rifles in their Piano Man show for design reasons fine; however it would have been PC silliness for Madison to not use them in their 'Corps of Brothers' show or for the Cavilers to yell, "This is my Airblade; there are many like it, but this one is mine". What is happening more and more often across this country, especially with schools, is the latter (PC silliness).

maybe...maybe not.....my problem is when you say " silliness " its condecending to ones opinions and I would bet those take how they feel very seriously...you want silliness? look at 100 other threads , maybe some with pages and pages on a plume color debate...spats or no spats and a million other things........now some might call that stuff far beyond silliness but to those people its not as you say silly at all...I do believe in general we are to cautious and PC in this country on every subject in the world...that I will give ya...................yes this is my airblade would be silly...........but just as silly as a military show spinning some pretty little lame flags split leaping across the field....so what your point...lol........ok thanks again for the conversation.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

maybe...maybe not.....my problem is when you say " silliness " its condecending to ones opinions and I would bet those take how they feel very seriously...you want silliness? look at 100 other threads , maybe some with pages and pages on a plume color debate...spats or no spats and a million other things........now some might call that stuff far beyond silliness but to those people its not as you say silly at all...I do believe in general we are to cautious and PC in this country on every subject in the world...that I will give ya....................ok thanks again for the conversation.

You are actually supporting my position about how some in society have become way overly sensitive, and that me stating my opinion that I consider fabricated PC as being rather silly is now considered as me also being condescending; and thus I should avoid stating my believe that they are being silly because it may hurt someone’s feelings. If that is the case then I say to them 'grow a pair and get over it'.

In 1983 Garfield did not use rifles. They used mini-flags, shawls, chinese lanterns and regular-sized flags during their show, but there were no rifles.

Thanks for the correction - I most have mis-stored someone else, like 1978 Hurricanes who also did the Mass. Glad Garfield nailed it from that (and every other angle that year.

Well, If I was you, I wouldn't be that fearful that DCI ( or DCA) is going to " be stuck using something because we always have ". Thats not been the modus operandi at all the last 50 years of " Drum Corps ". I think we should all be able to agree here that there is probably no other youth competitive activity or sport that has undergone more transformational changes than has Drum Corps. Can you think of any other youth competitive sport or youth competitive endeavor that has come remotely close to the changes this activity has undergone ? So I would not fret that this activity does not somehow embrace " change ", or somehow will not in the future.Yet despite the changes, we've gone back to calling auxillary subsections in units that utilize no wooden rifles, no sabres, as a " Color Guard ". Why is that ? 'Makes little sense to me at all. Why the eager and willing acceptance on the part of many to eschew traditional instruments of Drum Corps competition but on the other hand so reticent to drop the traditional nomenclatures that frankly no longer apply at all, if we are honest with ourselves regarding this ? If a unit wants to drop rifles, and sabres in their Corps, thats cool. No problem with that from me ( except perhaps some minor disappointment ). But then why call a unit with no rifles, sabres, but instead with air blades, or other twirly things a " Corps Color Guard ". Thats a strange nomenclature, and frankly an incorrect nomenclature. There is no rational basis to keep such a caricature of what " it is" . In the big scheme of things..., called " real life ",.... its really no big deal, of course. But it is sort of mildly odd to me, thats all.

Agree with your basic statement, but every little change has been a violent transformation, otherwise we would have had 3 piston multi-keyed instruments in 1968 when we knew we needed them, and pits in about 1965.

Change has been glacial at best over these 50 years. I give enormous credit to the pioneers that kept pushing to make these changes happen, despite the activity's best attempts to maintain the status quo.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction - I most have mis-stored someone else, like 1978 Hurricanes who also did the Mass. Glad Garfield nailed it from that (and every other angle that year.

There seemed to be a number of corps in early 80's that either didn't use rifles, or used them sparingly. At one point Blue Devils stopped using them as did Phantom. Vanguard didn't use any rifles for a long time - bringing them back in '87.

One thing I didn't realize - Star of Indiana never once used rifles in it's 9 years of existence on the field.