George Hopkins - soothsayer

Why should comments the director of the Cadets made in an interview with the Blue Devils be out of bounds for discussion on a drum corps forum? Especially as the thread's originator has explicitly said that Hopkins's remarks demonstrate his prescience?

Thanks, beat me to it.

Perhaps George Dixon may not recognize, due to prior posts and his preconceived notions, that I could actually compliment Hop.

In fact, the last word relating to my link involving the t-shirt, is that the school guards "made the call" that the girl's t-shirt was offensive because it had a depiction of a man with a rifle. It was the guards who took the girl to the principal's office. It was office staff who made her change and, after all of the hullaballoo, the school administration overturned the action, apologized to the girl, and made it clear that she could, in fact, wear the shirt in the future.

So, actually and so far, George Hopkins was dead wrong about the possibility that a societal shift in opinion regarding "weapons" would cause pressure on drum corps to do away with "weapons" to keep itself vital. In the 12 years since, anyway, he's been proven to have no prescience on the matter at all. And, obviously, Hop's nothing but a blundering idiot (<--- I kid, that last was for George Dixon :tounge2: )

To many, myself included, there has been an increase in gun-sensitivity and rhetoric in general in society but, so far, it hasn't reached the pitch of demanding HS or drum corps color guards stop using them.

Was Hop prescient in comments of 2001? Apparently not yet anyway.

Edited by garfield

Thanks, beat me to it.

Perhaps George Dixon may not recognize, due to prior posts and his preconceived notions, that I could actually compliment Hop.

In fact, the last word relating to my link involving the t-shirt, is that the school guards "made the call" that the girl's t-shirt was offensive because it had a depiction of a man with a rifle. It was the guards who took the girl to the principal's office. It was office staff who made her change and, after all of the hullaballoo, the school administration overturned the action, apologized to the girl, and made it clear that she could, in fact, wear the shirt in the future.

So, actually and so far, George Hopkins was dead wrong about the possibility that a societal shift in opinion regarding "weapons" would cause pressure on drum corps to do away with "weapons" to keep itself vital. In the 12 years since, anyway, he's been proven to have no prescience on the matter at all. And, obviously, Hop's nothing but a blundering idiot (<--- I kid, that last was for George Dixon :tounge2: )

To many, myself included, there has been an increase in gun-sensitivity and rhetoric in general in society but, so far, it hasn't reached the pitch of demanding HS or drum corps color guards stop using them.

I agree with all of this, and I thought the original post was a good one.

The 2001 Hopkins interview was prescient in other ways though, specifically their intent to move toward what we now call MiM. "I think we will end up with 10 or so super performance groups.” (My interpretation: and that's all.)

And clearly if these are thematically generic performing arts groups, then they wouldn't need rifles any more than ballet troupes need to wear fish hats. Even if that were a long standing tradition from the days when ballet dancers brought fish in from the boats (which I just made up of course), they'd drop it anyway simply because ballet has turned into something else. Unless they were doing a nautical themed show.

So in a weird way this may tie in to the MiM issue, in the sense that they may be unified in Hop's intent for the activity.

:unhappy:

Thanks, beat me to it.

To many, myself included, there has been an increase in gun-sensitivity and rhetoric in general in society but, so far, it hasn't reached the pitch of demanding HS or drum corps color guards stop using the

I think cadets may be selling the NON traditional guard equipment or at least involved in the promotion, which is a reason for pushing them BUT do you really know for a fact that there might be SOME schools under the YEA umbrella that may feel that the old traditional equipment needs to go? Which also could be motivating the change. I have taught many schools from coast to coast and yes most havent given it alot of thought BUT there certainly have been a few that did not want it used..This may become a growing number in years to come for sure. I wonder if Newtown HS's winter or band program has made any changes.

Either way guard people spin almost anything and although I personally dont want to see the traditional equipment go it would cause a stir for about 40 seconds and then the spinning of whatever would continue. JMO

Wasn't this topic beat to death once before?

RHETORIC IN SOCIETY?....REALLY? :mellow:

Edited by GUARDLING

Some of you, specifically those who say that I am a 'liar', quack me up. If GH said that someone waddles, has web feet, and quacks, then I point out he called that person a duck you would once again defend GH call me a liar. GH has disclosed that he has a 21st century PC issue with rifles and sabers within DCI and the ‘military’ background they represent. That means he has a problem with the implements which represent weapons of war; and he has an issue with the possible perceived PC image problem they might create when we are trying to expand the outside interest of the DCI activity. Go ahead and continue to call me a liar and I will go ahead and quack.

Some of you, specifically those who say that I am a 'liar', quack me up. If GH said that someone waddles, has web feet, and quacks, then I point out he called that person a duck you would once again defend GH call me a liar. GH has disclosed that he has a 21st century PC issue with rifles and sabers within DCI and the ‘military’ background they represent. That means he has a problem with the implements which represent weapons of war; and he has an issue with the possible perceived PC image problem they might create when we are trying to expand the outside interest of the DCI activity. Go ahead and continue to call me a liar and I will go ahead and quack.

I accept your apology.

Hop could have simply said he isn't using rifles anymore and left it at that. Or he could have said nothing and stopped using them. But he chose to make a political statement. Whatever. Who cares what he thinks about color guards using pretend rifles?

Hop could have simply said he isn't using rifles anymore and left it at that. Or he could have said nothing and stopped using them. But he chose to make a political statement. Whatever. Who cares what he thinks about color guards using pretend rifles?

Must have missed the polical statement. Didn't see one.

true.......but the problem with all the the thousands of HOP threads time after time gives power to the man and usually from those who continually seem to have issues with him. As you said..." who cares?" The more talk about a person the more power they have. SO he doesnt like weapons....and?...so what he wants isnt traditional.......and?..........so he talks out of his xxx ...ALOT.... ok, whatever..............if bands , corps, school boards etc etc want something to change ....it will...........whatever

We seem to be divided between those who believe the change is coming and wish it weren't, and those who think the change isn't coming and wish it were.