How to march with harmon mutes?

JarrodBriley

Way back in time in 1980 the CT Hurricanes used Harmon mutes in the John Williams' piece "Swing, Swing, Swing". The single biggest issue was (obviously) what do you do with them during the 9 minutes you're not using them? Our support staff built (sewed) pouches that carried the mutes. Tough part? Putting them away.

Soooo....

For DCA folks there was an infamous night at Finals in Hershey PA back in 1980, the night that Westshore released a couple dozen doves at the end of "The Impossible Dream" and the crowd gazed in wonder as they soared skywards... only one problem ... they don't fly at night. Instead they (the birds) pecked around the field for 15 minutes while the Sunrisers stood on the starting line and Chief Judge Walter Kelley shot his starter pistol at the doves repeatedly. Absolute riot. Ask Jeff Ream, Tony White, or Fran Haring.

An hour or so later the Hurricanes, who were 3rd that year, played through "Swing, Swing, Swing"... as they reached the end of the muted section, the entire trumpet (soprano back then) section hurled their mutes in the general (or specific) direction of the field brass judge. No one on staff knew it was coming. Neither did the brass judge. The sky rained harmon mutes, which clanged all over the front sideline as the judge held his pad over his head and fled the area.

I've never been sure who set that up, but I'm guessing Johnny "Redhead" Glynn was the driving force.

The moral? Harmon mutes are okay - great sound - but you have to be able to get them into your horn and out without laying waste to the rest of your show. Sounds easy... some nights? Not so much...

Edited by rayfallon

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a band use these mutes a couple of weeks ago and everything went well except one person missed the mute holder on their belt. I watched the mute the rest of the show to see if anyone was going to step on it ot kick it.

• 1 month later...

Harmon mutes can be a great effect - especially if staged and orchestrated properly. The only thing I worry about is the mute falling out of the bell while I'm playing. I really have to crank mine in. I've heard of people using a little slide grease on the cork to make it a little tackier. That might work. I think the Joral harmon is the best for the money. Bobby Shew's is one of the best, but over a 100 bucks last time I checked.

You might also find that the use of harmon mute in your trumpet section will help their playing over the course of the season. It teaches you to play in the center of the horn. If it's not loud and buzzy, you're not playing in the center. I use a harmon mute periodically in my practice sessions to help feel the sensation of playing in the center of the horn. Great for a little warm-up.

One solution is a "coat hanger" hook, facing up, slightly behind the left hip, preferably sewn onto the uniform. The mute is placed on this, large end down, such that the hook passes all the way through the body of the harmon and extends an inch or two above the clearance. Retrieving and returning must be practiced.

Straight mutes might serve your effect almost as well and are easier to handle. Pouches have been used successfully (see retrieving, above, however) and so have various velcro schemes. The latter method requires attaching material directly on the mute and will affect the sound slightly.

All that said, the cost/benefit ratio usually doesn't balance unless you're going to use these in jazz band, as well. You'll spend a good deal of time, treasure and energy for a brief effect in the show, so be sure it's a really great effect.

Overall, if I want my trumpets or sopranos to create a "mute effect", I usually have them reach around the bell and cup it with the left hand. There's no cost, little rehearsal time invested and it's unlikely any hands are left on the field.

A good compromise might be to use a quartet of trumpets with Harmons, staged up front and/or on a pair of mics while everyone else "hand-mutes". The Harmons themselves could simply be left on a small table at the sideline.