Where do the great ideas/concepts start?

Where do the great ideas originate?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the great ideas start?

• Drum Corps
    • Marching Band
    • Indoor Drumline
    • Winter Guard
    • Other

Do the great, amazing, innovative things we see in the marching arts activity come from drum corps minds/people? Do they start in marching band? Indoor drumline? Winter guard?

It is common, of course, for someone to see a "cool" idea, move, musical number, lick/riff, concept, and try to imitate it. Whether that is a direct imitation, or a variation. Just wondering what the consensus was about where the genesis for great ideas and concepts originates.

Since I have to pick one, I'm going with Indoor Percussion (read: WGI). Innovation is happening all the time in all different aspects of the activity, but it seems to me a lot of fresh new ideas can be traced back to WGI. Even to the point where marching bands and drum corps now specifically look to WGI for inspiration. For example, a BD staff member (possibly Gibbs, but I don't remember for sure now) said in an interview that they try to think of the football field "as a WGI floor." This really struck me to be an indicator of where the most innovation is perceived to be happening.

Edited by Spandy

I believe the inspiration comes from all of the above. I've seen it in many of the top DCI corps as well as WGI Guards and percussion...as well as great bands...............everyone takes from everyone................I have no doubt about this, I see it as well as been in on that process many many times............and of course insperation also comes from the past, where some want to go in the future and also outside sources removed from our activity.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Really good medications

• Like 4

Everyone is getting ideas off each other, on the field/floor and off.

Outside (hopefully)

As much as I love Maleguena, Appalachian Spring, Phantom of the Opera, Danny Boy, In the Stone, Shostakovich 5, etc., etc., etc., etc............

I really like it when somebody finds a new composer, or a new piece by an "old" composer and brings that to us. The marching arts have barely scratched the surface of all the great music out there. There are numerous threads on here with lists and lists of music and composers/groups that haven't, or have rarely, ever been played. Why a marching group would choose something that has already been done before (especially if done well) is beyond me. Why invite the comparison? If you really like piece A by composer XYZ, and it's already been done, find another piece by him instead of playing A again.

EVERY single "cool" piece that has been used by the marching arts was "new" and had never been done at some point. Somebody had to find it "outside". Why have so many "designers" (most are now just imitators) stopped doing this? Gustav Holst wrote a lot more music than The Planets, and the Stan Kenton Orchestra played a lot more than Maleguena and Malaga. PLEASE go find something new!

Outside (hopefully)

As much as I love Maleguena, Appalachian Spring, Phantom of the Opera, Danny Boy, In the Stone, Shostakovich 5, etc., etc., etc., etc............

I really like it when somebody finds a new composer, or a new piece by an "old" composer and brings that to us. The marching arts have barely scratched the surface of all the great music out there. There are numerous threads on here with lists and lists of music and composers/groups that haven't, or have rarely, ever been played. Why a marching group would choose something that has already been done before (especially if done well) is beyond me. Why invite the comparison? If you really like piece A by composer XYZ, and it's already been done, find another piece by him instead of playing A again.

EVERY single "cool" piece that has been used by the marching arts was "new" and had never been done at some point. Somebody had to find it "outside". Why have so many "designers" (most are now just imitators) stopped doing this? Gustav Holst wrote a lot more music than The Planets, and the Stan Kenton Orchestra played a lot more than Maleguena and Malaga. PLEASE go find something new!

I totally agree with you!

My son is studying music at university and I love talking about new stuff with him. We turn each other onto all kinds of music. I have seen great stuff in all mediums be it WGI or DCI or BOA or just some street musicians.

Music is the best!