what modern main stream band would you design a show around?

At least half of the bands mentioned so far in this thread arguably are not mainstream. Radiohead, for instance, has never even cracked the top 30 on the U.S. "Hot 100". That shouldn't necessarily be taken as any sort of judgment on their quality, of course. (Perhaps just the opposite?)

• Like 1

For reference, this is the current top ten:

1. "Royals" by Lorde

2. "Roar" by Katy Perry

3. "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus

4. "Wake Me Up" by Avicii

5. "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Drake (featuring Majid Jordan)

6. "The Fox" by Ylvis

7. "Holy Grail" by Jay Z (featuring Justin Timberlake)

8. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke (featuring T.I. and Pharrell)

9. "Applause" by Lady Gaga

10. "Summertime Sadness" by Lana del Ray and Cedric Gervais

A few Lady Gaga songs have been performed by drum corps in the last couple years. Madison Scouts famously did a Jay Z song in 2011. The Ylvis song, which I first learned of from hostrauser's status update a few weeks ago, has already been covered by a marching band.

At least half of the bands mentioned so far in this thread arguably are not mainstream. Radiohead, for instance, has never even cracked the top 30 on the U.S. "Hot 100". That shouldn't necessarily be taken as any sort of judgment on their quality, of course. (Perhaps just the opposite?)

Creep didn't get them into the Top 30? Could have sworn that it did.

• Like 1

Creep didn't get them into the Top 30? Could have sworn that it did.

It peaked at 31. Almost all of Radiohead's American success has been in album sales. Kid A and In Rainbows hit #1 on the album charts.

I would love to see some The Scorpions stuff on the field.

For reference, this is the current top ten:

1. "Royals" by Lorde

2. "Roar" by Katy Perry

3. "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus

4. "Wake Me Up" by Avicii

5. "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Drake (featuring Majid Jordan)

6. "The Fox" by Ylvis

7. "Holy Grail" by Jay Z (featuring Justin Timberlake)

8. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke (featuring T.I. and Pharrell)

9. "Applause" by Lady Gaga

10. "Summertime Sadness" by Lana del Ray and Cedric Gervais

A few Lady Gaga songs have been performed by drum corps in the last couple years. Madison Scouts famously did a Jay Z song in 2011. The Ylvis song, which I first learned of from hostrauser's status update a few weeks ago, has already been covered by a marching band.

And Blurred Lines was already covered by the guy who did all the 2012 shows in 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flJqG3o5JQ4

I don't really think the top 30 is an indication of being a part of the main stream. How many people do you know who've never heard of Radiohead for example? They're a pretty common name. I'd say that would be considered main stream. Perhaps not quite the most popular, but definitely well known. Most of the groups mentioned, I think, would fit into that mold.