what modern main stream band would you design a show around?

I'd have to agree with Night Wish, but also Owl City or One Republic and... (don't kill me) Cascada (their older stuff) has some good moments. I feel like a creative percussion genius could really make Techno/Trance into something awesome in Drum Corps making it sound forced, cheesy, etc.

Above & Beyond just played an acoustic set in LA on the weekend. A lot of great clips on Youtube showing how electronic music could be transformed into something pretty awesome.

Dream Theater...not sure they are "main stream" though.

Teal Sound 2010 was a Dream Theatre show.

I've always thought Sigur Ros tunes would be great esp. this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_DQKCDgeM&

At least half of the bands mentioned so far in this thread arguably are not mainstream. Radiohead, for instance, has never even cracked the top 30 on the U.S. "Hot 100". That shouldn't necessarily be taken as any sort of judgment on their quality, of course. (Perhaps just the opposite?)

Including the OP's example in his post. So if you consider how the tone was set, or the definition based on his post, I could see how responses have been broad.

Now, to answer the question ________insert fringe, not really mainstream band that makes me sound hip HERE_________

Teal Sound 2010 was a Dream Theatre show.

I also wrote an article about the show that appeared last month on another website.