Dark Side of the Moon

One of the things that Pink Floyd does well is take their time in developing musical ideas. They take you on a journey and they don't rush to get you there. I don't think drum corps could do justice to PF material because of their 11 minute time restrictions.

But, I really like both PF and D&BC.

I think you nailed it, which is why I've never been able to conceive how the album would work on the field. So much of the magic of "Dark Side of the Moon" is the journey and not just the destination. Drum corps productions by their nature (and time restrictions) are like cruise ships that dock at multiple Caribbean islands over a few days, rather than letting you off-board and allowing you to relax for a week at each stop-over.

There's not enough time in a single drum corps performance to present music from Dark Side Of The Moon and do it justice. Now if a corps could have maybe 18-20 minutes to work with, allowance to use a saxophone, and an amazing DIVA of a female singer, they might be able to get away with making it work. :colgate:

I'd love to see BD take it on.

I know that various corps have done various Floyd tunes over the years. Off the top of my head, Capital Sound did "On the Turning Away" in 2002, Renegades have done "Goodbye Blue Sky" and Govies did "Money" recently. I think it all depends on the context of the show.

Probably not enough in Dark Side that would translate, but The Wall would work very well. Could construct an entire show on Pink's descent into madness, and incorporate some of the stuff from the movie.

There was a small corps called Northwind that played The Wall, in 1990. They stayed with us for the Grand Haven, MI show. Their entire color guard dyed their hair jet black, and wore some pretty heavy make-up for the show. Didn't get to see the show, but watching them warm-up was pretty odd. (5..6..5-6-7-8 "HEY! TEACHER! Leave those kids alone!" Again! 5..6..5-6-7-8.....)

There was a small corps called Northwind that played The Wall, in 1990. They stayed with us for the Grand Haven, MI show. Their entire color guard dyed their hair jet black, and wore some pretty heavy make-up for the show. Didn't get to see the show, but watching them warm-up was pretty odd. (5..6..5-6-7-8 "HEY! TEACHER! Leave those kids alone!" Again! 5..6..5-6-7-8.....)

I was in that corps. But it was 1991. 1990 we played Little Shop of Horrors, complete with a giant Audrey II on the field.

We were an odd little corps.

• Like 2

I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan, but today on the local rock radio station they played several cuts from The Wall Immersion Version and they were great. I actually preferred them to the eventual way the recordings came out. It goes to show that some of the songs can be arranged differently, but the lyrics are key. I think a Floyd fan would love a corps covering them, but most fans in stands would not be into it.

It would synchronize perfectly to Wizard of Oz visuals.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1