Rack Percussion in Drum Corps

I'm in my third year marching top bass at my high school's marching band, and because of my worsening scoliosis, I'm moving to the pit next year to play rack percussion. I'm hoping that this year off will benefit and strengthen my back so that I can come back after high school to march bass for Minnesota Brass and then hopefully DCI. But if this doesn't work out, I would definitely consider auditioning for rack/timpani/drum set for drum corps. Any advice from past or current rack/timpani/drum set players in the drum corps circuit? What are auditions like and how do they differ from the keyboard mallet auditions in the pit?

Thanks so much! I was going to put this post in percussion, but I felt like it would be viewed more widely in this forum.

Edited by Chris Cartwright

I'm in my third year marching top bass at my high school's marching band, and because of my worsening scoliosis, I'm moving to the pit next year to play rack percussion. I'm hoping that this year off will benefit and strengthen my back so that I can come back after high school to march bass for Minnesota Brass and then hopefully DCI. But if this doesn't work out, I would definitely consider auditioning for rack/timpani/drum set for drum corps. Any advice from past or current rack/timpani/drum set players in the drum corps circuit? What are auditions like and how do they differ from the keyboard mallet auditions in the pit?

Thanks so much! I was going to put this post in percussion, but I felt like it would be viewed more widely in this forum.

Not able to provide pit info, but if not doing so already, start doing some regular core work to get back in the bass line.