Boston Crusaders

With all the talk about the Washington Redskins' name as being insensitive, at the least, I

propose some off-season thinking; what about Boston? Will they need to change their name someday soon?

Do people even know what a Crusader was or is it so outdated they don’t know about it and dose that even matter? Should DCI involve itself in the debate?

And if they do change their name, what should the new name be?

Crusader with an upper case "C" would a Mediaeval soldier battling what was referred to as an "infidel" but with a lower case "c" would be a strong advocate for a cause. Now before anyone is thinking I am going to advocate a name change for my favorite corps that is still competing, proper names are nearly always capitalized, so Boston Crusaders could claim they are crusading for the importance of having a drum corps that represents the best of old and new, faces challenges with strength, and crusades to keep young people busy in the summer months and since they name themselves after these characteristics, Crusader with an uppercase "C" would be appropriate since it's a proper name.

Also, some may recall a time they were simply called Boston due to financial issues, but they were still called the Boston Crusaders at most shows, especially by their passionate fans. So would also venture to say if anyone wants to mess with their name, they will need the help of all kinds of crusaders and Crusaders.

Finally, more to the point, Redskin is not in our lexicon, but crusader as someone who advocates a cause is a pretty common term.

How about Boston Redskins? (in reference to the color of Boston Baked Beans)

Now not that I'm in favor of it, but that would be an appropriate name since the Washington Redskins were at one time (1930's) the Boston Redskins after they were the Boston Braves, but I like the Boston Infidels better.

Or better yet, why don't we just say never mind to the political correctness crap and leave the name alone.

I think the corps management learned a big lesson from their alumni for changing their uniform color to gray. I don't think they would ever consider making an even bigger mistake by fooling with the name. There would be an uprising.

With all the talk about the Washington Redskins' name as being insensitive, at the least, I propose some off-season thinking; what about Boston? Will they need to change their name someday soon?

To come up with some ideas, you might try some word association.

Now not that I'm in favor of it, but that would be an appropriate name since the Washington Redskins were at one time (1930's) the Boston Redskins after they were the Boston Braves, but I like the Boston Infidels better.

Or better yet, why don't we just say never mind to the political correctness crap and leave the name alone.

I think the corps management learned a big lesson from their alumni for changing their uniform color to gray. I don't think they would ever consider making an even bigger mistake by fooling with the name. There would be an uprising.

Well put Lou and good to "hear" from you. All my best.

• Like 2

Crusader: from the Latin, Crux, cruce meaning Cross.

Boston Crusaders started as a church parish group, Most Precious Blood in the Hyde Park section near Boston.

I imagine since blood is often shown as red, that is why they wear red (most years anyway.)

To change the name would change their roots and a wonderful legacy the corps has formed since that start.

Sorry, more important things to think about in today's world that off season malaprops.

• Like 3

With all the talk about the Washington Redskins' name as being insensitive, at the least, I

propose some off-season thinking; what about Boston? Will they need to change their name someday soon?

Do people even know what a Crusader was or is it so outdated they don’t know about it and dose that even matter? Should DCI involve itself in the debate?

And if they do change their name, what should the new name be?

Is there really an offensive interpretation to the word “Crusaders” in modern times in the Western World? I just do not see this connection to “Boston Crusaders” being insensitive to others or whatever OTHER connection you may be trying to make with Boston.

In Western usage, the word “Crusade” itself has long since lost its original meaning of "a war for the cross," and many are probably unaware that this is the derivation of the name. At present, "crusade" almost always means simply a vigorous campaign for a good cause. This cause may be political or military, though this is rare; more commonly, it is social, moral or environmental. In modern Western usage it is rarely if ever religious. Yet I will concede the fact that the Boston Crusaders were formed out of a Catholic parish as the Most Precious Blood Crusaders.

Based on the above reasoning, changing their name is NOT necessary IMO.

• Like 1