Cadets 2007 and the bigger "micro" picture

Once those kids were assimilated into the Cadets collective I'm sure they did not feeling anything.

Exactly.

I knew a couple of the members who marched that year and they specifically weren't too bothered by it. They loved the music and the drill especially. I found myself feeling bad for them early in the season, that is until I got to see them for finals and for their rehearsals during finals week. They were more focused on performing the shiznit out of that show, and boy did they perform it!

Exactly.

I knew a couple of the members who marched that year and they specifically weren't too bothered by it. They loved the music and the drill especially. I found myself feeling bad for them early in the season, that is until I got to see them for finals and for their rehearsals during finals week. They were more focused on performing the shiznit out of that show, and boy did they perform it!

<soapbox>

Feel bad for people who suffer from "just can't get past [insert narrow aspect of a modern show]" syndrome.

So many great things happening on the field every year (musically and visually) that people miss entirely because (for example) "the narration was too distracting". Get over it and enjoy the INCREDIBLE performances kids are putting on the field every year :-)

</soapbox>

I haven't been on here in a long time but I like the new look of the website.

Anyway....2007 was my rookie year in Cadets and in DCI period. I don't know what made me audition for a controversial drum corps other than distance, but I was actually feeling excited and worried at the same time.

So at the moment the show was announced to the members, I sat thinking "This is going to have everyone in DCI talking...."

But it was somewhat cool I would be a part of history. And I had never marched in drum corps before.

I remember the winter camps playing through the opener and hearing the intensity of the hornline and music, I remember feeling the energy of a potentially amazing season in the air. This was clearly not the Cadets from 2006....it was like a different beast. I can remember feeling "This is going to be a ####### good year."

If you asked me what the 2007 show means to me, every time I put on the music (and I'm listening right now), it's a part of me like my lungs I breathe with. When you put together the narration, it brought the show to another level by 1000%, so trust me when I say it was necessary, whether you enjoy it or not.

So when people mention of their distaste for the narration, it's something I don't fuss over or regret because some like it, some don't, and we can't change anyone's minds. However, there is the power of influence.....

I believe we have influenced the DCI activity today by what we did 6 years ago, and for years to come, people will talk about Cadets 2007 like we talk about Star 1993. I think that's pretty cool and something I'll be proud of.

• Like 2

<soapbox>

Feel bad for people who suffer from "just can't get past [insert narrow aspect of a modern show]" syndrome.

So many great things happening on the field every year (musically and visually) that people miss entirely because (for example) "the narration was too distracting". Get over it and enjoy the INCREDIBLE performances kids are putting on the field every year :-)

</soapbox>

Let's say seventeen obese, naked men do jumping jacks within the drill every 45 seconds in place of the narration. If you don't like the show because it's too distracting, should you get over it? That logic is flawed. If you feed me a meal and one of the side dishes is poop, I'm not going to call it a good meal. Maybe I enjoyed the chicken and salad, but the poop ruined the whole.

• Like 3

Let's say seventeen obese, naked men do jumping jacks within the drill every 45 seconds in place of the narration. If you don't like the show because it's too distracting, should you get over it? That logic is flawed. If you feed me a meal and one of the side dishes is poop, I'm not going to call it a good meal. Maybe I enjoyed the chicken and salad, but the poop ruined the whole.

This is becoming like an episode of Space 1999. We don't know what to do with the amount of money we are spending on each episode so lets make it as ridiculous as we can because the critics won't know what to write.

If you serve me a wonderful meal of a nice filet mignon, garlic mashed potatoes, and then stick me with brussel sprouts as a veggie, I can appreciate that it is a wonderful meal, even if I personally despise brussel sprouts. It doesn't ruin my appreciation of the filet or garlic mashed; I just skip the sprouts...knowing that others probably love them.

IMO that is more applicable to the Cadets 2007 show than your assertio above.

• Like 1

...made me want to break into a maternity ward and punch every baby in the face...

That made me literally laugh out loud!!! :spitting:

Unfortunately your analogy is not accurate (and I see Mike Davis has already quite ably pointed it out).

It is - of course - your choice to throw out the entire meal.

Or -- you could just push aside the vegetable dish you don't care for -- and enjoy the amazing main course and salad!

No one's forcing you to eat the creamed spinach.

And that's essentially what's going on with electronics and dance and (name the favorite aspect of modern drum corps you want to complain about). The essential product remains the same. There's great drum corps going on today. Performers are marching, playing, and spinning like never before. But because the trumpet soloist was mic'd, you (in the generic sense) throw the entire meal off your high chair and on to the floor instead of simply leaving the pickled artichoke hearts uneaten, and enjoying the surf and turf.

You certainly have the right to act this way. But (IMO at least) you're sure missing out on a lot of great stuff.

Edited by corpsband

I've got a pretty high threshold. Cadets 07 and 08 are the only two finalist shows of the post-2000 era I can't even make myself watch. It's like making love to a beautiful woman while a tiny leprechaun occasionally tries to stick a pine cone in your ###. You still get the good part, but that other nagging bit makes it tough to enjoy it as much as you would otherwise. You can't brush them aside--they're there no matter what. It's just a matter of being able to stand the forced taste.

Generally, I dig a lot of what's done with voice. I just can't stand bad writing and tacky acting.

Dagnabbit!!! I just realized this thread went completely the opposite way it was originally intended. :tounge2: Ok, I'm out.

• Like 1