Cadets 2007 and the bigger "micro" picture

Cavies won visual performance at prelims that year performing before the Cadets...just saying. :cool:

the hash marks probably got stuck to Cavies uniforms being it was the year they decided roll around on the ground rather than march.

this emoticon :tugowar: is doing a Cavies 2007 impression :silly:

<soapbox>

Feel bad for people who suffer from "just can't get past [insert narrow aspect of a modern show]" syndrome.

So many great things happening on the field every year (musically and visually) that people miss entirely because (for example) "the narration was too distracting". Get over it and enjoy the INCREDIBLE performances kids are putting on the field every year :-)

</soapbox>

You act as if it’s a choice, it’s not. Every now and then I think I might be able to watch their 2007 or 2008 show and nope, can’t make it through. Its cringe inducing.

The question is how much #### will you accept in your beer ?

So at the moment the show was announced to the members, I sat thinking "This is going to have everyone in DCI talking...."

But it was somewhat cool I would be a part of history. And I had never marched in drum corps before.

So when people mention of their distaste for the narration, it's something I don't fuss over or regret because some like it, some don't, and we can't change anyone's minds. However, there is the power of influence.....

I believe we have influenced the DCI activity today by what we did 6 years ago, and for years to come, people will talk about Cadets 2007 like we talk about Star 1993. I think that's pretty cool and something I'll be proud of.

People still talk about 911 which also made history and influenced the world

Which means, I don’t really get what you are trying to say and perhaps you could express in a different fashion

I would say Cadets 2007 influenced DCI by killing off overly indulgent, busy, almost constant narration and for that, I’m grateful

Somehow, I doubt that was their goal

gald you enjoyed your year though, regardless of what me or others might have thought

People still talk about 911 which also made history and influenced the world

Which means, I don’t really get what you are trying to say and perhaps you could express in a different fashion

I would say Cadets 2007 influenced DCI by killing off overly indulgent, busy, almost constant narration and for that, I’m grateful

Somehow, I doubt that was their goal

gald you enjoyed your year though, regardless of what me or others might have thought

So is it safe to assume you really didn't like Carolina Crown 2013?.........a show with more use of overly indulgent, busy, almost constant narration than Cadets or any other corps has ever done.

I still think it is a Cadets/BD thing because it is "trendy" to bash Cadets and BD.

Unfortunately your analogy is not accurate (and I see Mike Davis has already quite ably pointed it out).

It is - of course - your choice to throw out the entire meal.

Or -- you could just push aside the vegetable dish you don't care for -- and enjoy the amazing main course and salad!

No one's forcing you to eat the creamed spinach.

And that's essentially what's going on with electronics and dance and (name the favorite aspect of modern drum corps you want to complain about). The essential product remains the same. There's great drum corps going on today. Performers are marching, playing, and spinning like never before. But because the trumpet soloist was mic'd, you (in the generic sense) throw the entire meal off your high chair and on to the floor instead of simply leaving the pickled artichoke hearts uneaten) and enjoying the surf and turf.

You certainly have the right to act this way. But (IMO at least) you're sure missing out on a lot of great stuff.

I think to be honest, vocals are more annoying to most than a mic'd soloist. And for sure, the balance issues goo creates is a show long issue that keeps you from actually hearing the music being performed.

This is really a brilliant way of putting it. It's like in 70s and 80s sitcoms where there would be the obligatory episode where a kid tried smoking for the first time, only to have the parents insist they smoke the whole pack at once in order to back them off.

You act as if it’s a choice, it’s not. Every now and then I think I might be able to watch their 2007 or 2008 show and nope, can’t make it through. Its cringe inducing.

The question is how much #### will you accept in your beer ?

I think it *is* a choice. You get to decide how to react to design elements in a drum corps show which might not be to your taste. IMO the props in the Cadets show were an eyesore -- but that didn't stop me from absolutely loving the music book; it may be the best book Bocook has ever written for Cadets!

Make a *choice* to enjoy what's out there -- it's pretty cool stuff !

• Like 2

I think to be honest, vocals are more annoying to most than a mic'd soloist. And for sure, the balance issues goo creates is a show long issue that keeps you from actually hearing the music being performed.

No -- it doesn't keep your from hearing the music being performed -- you just stopped listening! I don't like goo either. But I can acknowledge its existence and still enjoy the performers and their show. Sure if I were to over-react and respond as if goo is the end-of-the-drumcorps-universe, turn to the people next to me to ##### about, and then grumble under my breath every time I hear it, goo could ruin a show for me. But it'd because I *chose* to have such a violent reaction -- not because the goo *forced* me to have that reaction.

Edited by corpsband

No -- it doesn't keep your from hearing the music being performed -- you just stopped listening! I don't like goo either. But I can acknowledge its existence and still enjoy the performers and their show. Sure if I were to over-react and respond as if goo is the end-of-the-drumcorps-universe, turn to the people next to me to ##### about, and then grumble under my breath every time I hear it, goo could ruin a show for me. But it'd because I *chose* to have such a violent reaction -- not because the goo *forced* me to have that reaction.

no Mike, love ya man, but at times balance HAS denied me the ability to hear beyond the speakers. I usually get past it and deal with it, but sometimes there's no avoiding it.

no Mike, love ya man, but at times balance HAS denied me the ability to hear beyond the speakers. I usually get past it and deal with it, but sometimes there's no avoiding it.

And that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about it. "Oh man that goo was way too thunderous" and then letting it go so you can appreciate everything else. Would it be awesome if things we don't like didn't intrude into our drum corps spectating experience? ABSOLUTELY. Plenty of posters here post a litany of things they don't want to see from their favorite corps every season. Heck some probably email the design staff their list. My point was and continues to be: Don't let (X,Y and/or Z) ruin your chance enjoy to everything else!