How do we rid our activity of this behavior

I agree checks can help, although remember most people in our activity that are put in a position of authority either a director or an instructor have been around for quite a while. Now this doesnt mean they can't be an abuser BUT either they never got caught which means they can continue and would not have a record or they have been caught and most of us would already know. It's a small community where nothing gets hidden....most of the time

True some people who haven't dealt with this have the idea that a clear check means the person is safe when all it might mean is not caught or reported. IMO about all checks do are help to guard against those who were caught or a CYA for the group that at least they are doing something. But also needed is a policy to update the checks every now and then. Know mine is way out of date......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

True some people who haven't dealt with this have the idea that a clear check means the person is safe when all it might mean is not caught or reported. IMO about all checks do are help to guard against those who were caught or a CYA for the group that at least they are doing something. But also needed is a policy to update the checks every now and then. Know mine is way out of date......

Such a sick world we live in. I wonder if preventative training from police might be a good idea. Not so much for the offender, but for the kids to know signs to look out for such as the "coaching", etc. it seems like these types do have certain common methodologies. The better educated a young corp's member is, the better they are able to protect themselves. I believe some police departments do stuff like this as part of community outreach?

• Like 1

Respectfully speaking, you and a thousand friends sitting at keyboards for six months could not possibly write more about this topic and drum corps than a few people did on the RAMD newsgroup, daily, for several years. That unmoderated virtual happy valley soon turned into a PR nightmare for the activity, IMO.

Personally, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it as a bigger issue in DCI or DCA than it is for the rest of American society, schools etc. The idea of holding drum corps to a higher background check standard than public schools is not realistic.

I miss the red green thingy. Now we have to go back to the old days and respond.

I am not sure back ground checks are the answer but it's a start. I know of in at least two of the cases that I am aware of IN DCA where a marching member was convicted of molesting a minor or having inappropriate contact with a minor that those people would have passed a record background check with flying colors. So I am not sure how well the back ground checks are going to work or help us.

Such a sick world we live in. I wonder if preventative training from police might be a good idea. Not so much for the offender, but for the kids to know signs to look out for such as the "coaching", etc. it seems like these types do have certain common methodologies. The better educated a young corp's member is, the better they are able to protect themselves. I believe some police departments do stuff like this as part of community outreach?

Glad you brought this up as prevention has to go beyond the staff and include the members.

Have had annual prevention of sexual harassment training for years with Dept of Defense and this year started training on sexual attack. For both the training involved how to recognize when either is being done to another person or yourself. Also how to cut down the chances and what to do/who to go to if questions or problems. For the people paying attention (give enough of a crap to listen) it can help.

Edited by JimF-LowBari