Drum Corps Recruiting

Honestly, this should be mandatory reading for every corps' staff. Good stuff Lee.

• Like 2

:ninja:

I concur with Liz, Lee. Well said. I wish more of the DCA corps would follow PRINCIPAL #1. It NEVER gets more definitive than that. Regardless of the goals, if you can't be grateful to have your members and their families as part of yours.. you're in the wrong hobby.

:tounge2: I WILL disagree the the "rookie" thing though. If you can't find a fun way to 'break them in', "within the realms of good taste" ($1 to Slap Shot) it's almost not like being a rookie!

Rock on !

Pat

Sage advise Lee. A few things I like to remind people (espacially staff)...

a ) The members are volunteers. As such, we serve them, not the other way around.

b.) Sing "Happy Birthday"...a lot. It does a lot to boost morale.

c.) Drum corps is supposed to be fun, not work. Yes, we all work hard to achieve results (entertainment, competitive success, etc.), but we give ourselves to it voluntarily. We should NEVER forget this.

Glenn Kubacki

Drum Major - Selden Cadets Alumni

Contra Section Leader - Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni

Member BOD - Sunrisers

• Like 1

Agree... and send this to any group having problems working together..... wrong forum but about 2 hour drive south of me....

Also the understanding that people are going to disagree and not get their way 100% and that is OK. As long as things can be talked out without "I'm right.. you're wrong". Add it to #5....

I can agree with most BUT #6 is a deadly one for most corps. Like that or not I've seen several young members sent home from tour..a few right before championships because in many cases many people don't have a filter on what should or shoud not be said no matter how many times they are told. Someone gets mad beacuse they were yelled at or they don't agree with someth9ng and all hell breaks lose. You can teach people all you wantn what to do or not do and it still happens. You cansay make sure they know that their opinion are THEIRS, but it still is a reflection on that corps and if something negative is said it gets that corps involved.

So many cases now a days people don't get what is proper to post., Just l;ook at the bullying, the so called intelegent , educated, adult, politicians that even don't get it. Many corps have this policy of NO postings or very monitored for a reason. It's one more thing corps shouldn't have to worry about but unfortunately have to.

Unfortunately all age corps with mostly adults this can also happen to...JMO

I do think most corps already strive for most of that list.......................do they succeed?...well, thats another topic I guess...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I can agree with most BUT #6 is a deadly one for most corps. Like that or not I've seen several young members sent home from tour..a few right before championships because in many cases many people don't have a filter on what should or shoud not be said no matter how many times they are told. Someone gets mad beacuse they were yelled at or they don't agree with someth9ng and all hell breaks lose. You can teach people all you wantn what to do or not do and it still happens. You cansay make sure they know that their opinion are THEIRS, but it still is a reflection on that corps and if something negative is said it gets that corps involved.

So many cases now a days people don't get what is proper to post., Just l;ook at the bullying, the so called intelegent , educated, adult, politicians that even don't get it. Many corps have this policy of NO postings or very monitored for a reason. It's one more thing corps shouldn't have to worry about but unfortunately have to.

Unfortunately all age corps with mostly adults this can also happen to...JMO

I do think most corps already strive for most of that list.......................do they succeed?...well, thats another topic I guess...lol

I can't tell u how many times I was "called" into the office about my DCP postings. It always ended the same way. By me stating " maybe you guys should grow a pair too and say what needs to be said or kick me out".

I was always back on the line the next weekend because they knew deep down I was right.

I can't tell u how many times I was "called" into the office about my DCP postings. It always ended the same way. By me stating " maybe you guys should grow a pair too and say what needs to be said or kick me out".

I was always back on the line the next weekend because they knew deep down I was right.

I do understand and have been in the same place as you often. Kinda why I NEVER talk about who I may be with or consulting for Drum Corps or HS programs . I guess it also depends on whats being said and also how it involves a corps or not. It has been a very big problem as i said and I've seen kids sent home close to the end of the season for these reasons. The whole on line experience can be a great tool BUT a deadly one for people who ONLY have a big mouth or an opinion behind a key board. I have also seen pretty good staff people NOT hired when they have a questionable on line life.....this isnt anything new in the real world outside of drum corps either..Ive seen people not get jobs, fired from jobs, and many other examples...hell wasnt it just this week a White House employee fired for some minor on line funny postings?

AS I said its a great tool BUT deadly at the same time. Jobs,control what is exceptable, why not a corps. JMO............personally for me....and its just my opinion I will comment on some things BUT if it really is a serious issue why not go to the source where you MIGHT have a chance of being heard rather than a place where alot can be said but not done ( and not just talking drum corps )sometimes ( not always) because its on line the rants go over the top which many times become more amusing than constructive and that way becomes less effective or taken serious....

Edited by GUARDLING