Drum Corps Recruiting

I do understand and have been in the same place as you often. Kinda why I NEVER talk about who I may be with or consulting for Drum Corps or HS programs . I guess it also depends on whats being said and also how it involves a corps or not. It has been a very big problem as i said and I've seen kids sent home close to the end of the season for these reasons. The whole on line experience can be a great tool BUT a deadly one for people who ONLY have a big mouth or an opinion behind a key board. I have also seen pretty good staff people NOT hired when they have a questionable on line life.....this isnt anything new in the real world outside of drum corps either..Ive seen people not get jobs, fired from jobs, and many other examples...hell wasnt it just this week a White House employee fired for some minor on line funny postings?

AS I said its a great tool BUT deadly at the same time. Jobs,control what is exceptable, why not a corps. JMO............personally for me....and its just my opinion I will comment on some things BUT if it really is a serious issue why not go to the source where you MIGHT have a chance of being heard rather than a place where alot can be said but not done ( and not just talking drum corps )sometimes ( not always) because its on line the rants go over the top which many times become more amusing than constructive and that way becomes less effective or taken serious....

well to be honest....in a few cases over the years, #####ing on here was the only way to get people to act

well to be honest....in a few cases over the years, ######## on here was the only way to get people to act

im sure in a few cases but thers also been alot of damage done on line to many people and Im not just talking drum corps..to be honest I would really wonder though how much acting as you said actually gets done verses how much smoke get blown up peoples butts.....I know the later happens ALOT

as far as members, on line is not the place they should be trying to get their corps to do anything or get a point across IMO....and when it comes to younger members..kids as I have said have been kicked out and a few ( yes from here and face book, twitter,,,etc) have not made it through auditions and it wasnt because of talent.. like everything on line , what you say , do or how one acts follows you around...sometimes for life.....people are finding that out the hard way I'm afraid.

Edited by GUARDLING

well to be honest....in a few cases over the years, #####ing on here was the only way to get people to act

Its rare that I can say this but Yes I agree with you.

im sure in a few cases but thers also been alot of damage done on line to many people and Im not just talking drum corps..to be honest I would really wonder though how much acting as you said actually gets done verses how much smoke get blown up peoples butts.....I know the later happens ALOT

as far as members, on line is not the place they should be trying to get their corps to do anything or get a point across IMO....and when it comes to younger members..kids as I have said have been kicked out and a few ( yes from here and face book, twitter,,,etc) have not made it through auditions and it wasnt because of talent.. like everything on line , what you say , do or how one acts follows you around...sometimes for life.....people are finding that out the hard way I'm afraid.

oh sure damage has been done. the cases i refer to are more about the circuit than the individual corps. Sad to say we've seen the internet all but create a corps, then rip it to shreds

>>> Sad to say we've seen the internet all but create a corps, then rip it to shreds

Disagree 10000%.

The internet never hurt killed or hurt any corps --- it's the exclusive-club mentality and competitive at all cost dog-eat-dog approach of the activity that rips corps to shreds, not technology. I pointed this out to no avail earlier this year, and the sad predictions have all come to pass.

IMO, the drum corps activity has never been harmed by the internet -- it has been harmed by how drum corps people treat one another, frankly.

Generally speaking, I think the drum corps activity needs to do more to include people in the activity, at all levels, and it needs to be more supportive of those who are now participating. Until that happens, the numbers of corps, fans and participants will continue to shrink. I have never successfully made this point, so please feel free to disagree.

Edited by drumlaw80
  • Like 1

oh sure damage has been done. the cases i refer to are more about the circuit than the individual corps. Sad to say we've seen the internet all but create a corps, then rip it to shreds

youre right there. for sure! damage ( as you say for all ) has been done....often...............a reason why corps do not have to deal with it or want to.

>>> Sad to say we've seen the internet all but create a corps, then rip it to shreds

Disagree 10000%.

The internet never hurt killed or hurt any corps --- it's the exclusive-club mentality and competitive at all cost dog-eat-dog approach of the activity that rips corps to shreds, not technology. I pointed this out to no avail earlier this year, and the sad predictions have all come to pass.

IMO, the drum corps activity has never been harmed by the internet -- it has been harmed by how drum corps people treat one another, frankly.

Generally speaking, I think the drum corps activity needs to do more to include people in the activity, at all levels, and it needs to be more supportive of those who are now participating. Until that happens, the numbers of corps, fans and participants will continue to shrink. I have never successfully made this point, so please feel free to disagree.

youre right the internet hasnt done it ..people do,...but thats the same as a gun doesnt kill people do.........lets not go there .. BUT PEOPLE...members......dont get it somethimes so the best way is to not have it while on tour or during the season......like I said before..nothing new even the white house fired someone this week for trashy posts.....its a problem you cant teck it away and say " were entitled " and IMO corps are also about reputation as are jobs ..corps will survive the idiot who desnt know when or how the shut their mouth BUT the damage can be done and has in some cases. Unfortunately some people READ the internet and also believe the rants, which have been damaging.

I know of many young good instructors who have not got jobs in the activity for their continous and extreme ways they post....sad ( for them ) but true.

Youre right though we do need to reach out and the internet is a good way.............in the right hands

youre also right about treating each other better..frankly Ive never seen an activity that doesnt take in high regard its winner.....no matter how many times....in many sports an athlete can make an appearence 20 years after their hey day and get a standing O in our activity and I include all winter programs....20 minutes after a championships ( many times before ) people say who won? and start the ripping process. Yeah I know some will now pipe in and say its not the corps people anger with but the judging...........respect is respect PERIOD ! I think there certainly is a problem in the judging community for sure especially DCI and WGI BUT people rip the corps also.

Also With the hold people have on the past , some with no intention of EVER accepting anything new I do think you are right we will see less and less ( although it's not the only reason corps have diminished ) Sometimes activities come to a dimise by their own hand....or words.....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

thanks Lee... great stuff (as well as the other contributions)

Disagree 10000%.

the internet gives people the forum to cause the damage. now I don't blame Al Gore personally, but if you have issues and you give people a place to air them, they will.

• Like 1