Audition thoughts

That's written beautifully. I would add that doing a little research and finding out who's treated well both on and off the field should be a big decision. Are they fed well so they can rehearse and perform well? Do they actually get free time? Is their average work day more akin to a death camp or an educational master class?

The more the "stepping stone" mentality of the not-top-6 can be eliminated, the better the activity gets. If you march Blue Knights, march there because you want to and it's a good fit, not just because you want to chase a ring. Corps shouldn't be your ticket to greener pastures.

I know corps still often refer quality students that have been cut to other groups who can use them. Hopefully kids take those offers if they're a good fit. With Boston, Spirit, Blue Stars, Troopers, Oregon, etc. being so good these days, maybe we'll see a little more competitiveness and member retention across the board in coming years.

Overall, I see where the post is getting at. But it all depends on the person too. I've heard of cases where people stick it out with a corps that may or may not make finals, just to say they marched with that certain corps, and to be in that family. On the other hand I've also heard of people moving from corps to corps, and when they win a ring, they're done. Even if they have 2 or 3 years left before they age out,all that matters is they won the ring, and are moving onto the next thing in their life.

It is frustrating to see lower rank corps just being used as a stepping stone. I have no numbers to study, but I can guarantee large majority of the top 3 or 4 corps are made from members of lower ranked corps.

That's written beautifully. I would add that doing a little research and finding out who's treated well both on and off the field should be a big decision. Are they fed well so they can rehearse and perform well? Do they actually get free time? Is their average work day more akin to a death camp or an educational master class?

The more the "stepping stone" mentality of the not-top-6 can be eliminated, the better the activity gets. If you march Blue Knights, march there because you want to and it's a good fit, not just because you want to chase a ring. Corps shouldn't be your ticket to greener pastures.

I know corps still often refer quality students that have been cut to other groups who can use them. Hopefully kids take those offers if they're a good fit. With Boston, Spirit, Blue Stars, Troopers, Oregon, etc. being so good these days, maybe we'll see a little more competitiveness and member retention across the board in coming years.

RContra: that would be a good study to conduct, especially for the feeding aspect of it. On the other hand though, it just depends on the personality of the person. While some corps noticeably do have more free time, and others have the reputation of being beat down, it's up to the person what they like. When I marched I wanted the full beat down experience, may have come close to getting it, but I wanted to see how much I could go through and still come out strong. I know of members of certain corps who sometimes complain about free time. They feel they paid money to get better at the activity, and if they wanted to take a vacation or road trip they would've done so themselves.

I think the level of the performance has gone up every year in every corps (even if the show designs may not have improved every year). I feel that things are going to be shaken up very soon in the next few years, and just because a corps has a certain name, doesn't mean their going to be guaranteed in the top 6.

(maybe BK wasn't the best analogy for "chasing a ring") :silly:

TL:DR - I just wish people would stop using lower ranked corps as stepping stones, especially when all these corps have great people and traditions tied to them.

Overall, I see where the post is getting at. But it all depends on the person too. I've heard of cases where people stick it out with a corps that may or may not make finals, just to say they marched with that certain corps, and to be in that family. On the other hand I've also heard of people moving from corps to corps, and when they win a ring, they're done. Even if they have 2 or 3 years left before they age out,all that matters is they won the ring, and are moving onto the next thing in their life.

It is frustrating to see lower rank corps just being used as a stepping stone. I have no numbers to study, but I can guarantee large majority of the top 3 or 4 corps are made from members of lower ranked corps.

RContra: that would be a good study to conduct, especially for the feeding aspect of it. On the other hand though, it just depends on the personality of the person. While some corps noticeably do have more free time, and others have the reputation of being beat down, it's up to the person what they like. When I marched I wanted the full beat down experience, may have come close to getting it, but I wanted to see how much I could go through and still come out strong. I know of members of certain corps who sometimes complain about free time. They feel they paid money to get better at the activity, and if they wanted to take a vacation or road trip they would've done so themselves.

I think the level of the performance has gone up every year in every corps (even if the show designs may not have improved every year). I feel that things are going to be shaken up very soon in the next few years, and just because a corps has a certain name, doesn't mean their going to be guaranteed in the top 6.

(maybe BK wasn't the best analogy for "chasing a ring") :silly:

TL:DR - I just wish people would stop using lower ranked corps as stepping stones, especially when all these corps have great people and traditions tied to them.

haha Oops! I meant to say "get experience and then leave and chase a ring"