Welcome back to Florida, DCI

Either this topic has fallen off the main page, or no one here is a sports fan.

http://deadspin.com/orlando-gets-stadium-approved-for-21st-major-league-soc-1450758994

2015, if DCI isn't back in Orlando, then it's got issues.

1) cheaper stadium fee than the current dump of a stadium in Orlando

2) more intimate

3) not a dump

4) did I mention it's not going to be a dump like the Citrus Bowl?

5) less chance of being mugged in the parking lot

6) it has a less chance of flooding when there's rain

7) WrestleMania won't rip up the field the week prior to the show

8) The giant drum corps fan base in Florida will be happy

The stadium will be built in Parramore - same parking safety concerns there. And, it rains every summer in that neighborhood too.

Maybe everyone is tired of talking about this. As much as I'd like to see the corps come back to my 'hood, I'm expecting to see the same complaints brought out by posters every time an "Orlando show" topic is started.

edit: I assumed he was talking about FINALS. Now I see he was probably talking about a show, regional or otherwise. That would probably work. I also assumed that he's a guy when I have no indication of gender either way.

Apologies sir/madam. I'll leave my original post intact below for archive purposes. Or something like that.

FTFA:

"Yesterday, Florida's Orange County Commission green lit a new, 18,000-seat soccer-specific stadium in downtown Orlando."

18,000 seats. Total.

In the following link DCI states that the 2013 finals night attendance was 20, 381.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5bd83bc2-2fd0-43df-b3eb-1808c64d4ecd&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2013%2E08%2E21+DCI%2Enow

Will DCI Finals week ever be held in that stadium?

l8vSUui.gif

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint

woogie, are you talking about championships at the new stadium, or just a show?

I doubt DCI will ever hold finals outdoors in a rain-prone area again. They think it's too risky. If Saturday is wiped out by rain, the financial hit to DCI, in their eyes, is enormous. I don't think they're looking to leave Indy for finals week, but if they do, I think it would either be to another indoor venue or to a city where it almost never rains in August like Pasadena.

And the problem with "just a show" is similar. Too many deadhead roundtrip miles to a weather-risky area that hasn't historically shown up in large numbers at shows. Wasn't the last regular show or two rained out? And didn't Hop say he was out? There are probably other corps that feel the same way.

Either this topic has fallen off the main page, or no one here is a sports fan.

http://deadspin.com/orlando-gets-stadium-approved-for-21st-major-league-soc-1450758994

2015, if DCI isn't back in Orlando, then it's got issues.

1) cheaper stadium fee than the current dump of a stadium in Orlando

2) more intimate

3) not a dump

4) did I mention it's not going to be a dump like the Citrus Bowl?

5) less chance of being mugged in the parking lot

6) it has a less chance of flooding when there's rain

7) WrestleMania won't rip up the field the week prior to the show

8) The giant drum corps fan base in Florida will be happy

All pros to the new stadium, but the biggest con: It's in Florida.

That's too many miles to go South, just to have to cross them again going back up North, where the closest show would be Atlanta. Unless there are smaller shows in North Florida before and after the Orlando date that would make the trip worth it.

Also doing drum corps in Florida is the worst.

tumblr_lnvkpizAjf1qbohddo1_400.gif

Edited by laundryday

This will be great if the stadium is designed in such a way that a drum corps show there won't suck.

I'm going to use Red Bull Arena in New Jersey as an example, since the idea of holding a show there was considered and then dismissed for this exact reason. The stadium is beautiful. Probably the best stadium I have ever seen, despite being in a rough neighborhood. But it's a soccer stadium built for 25,000, not a football stadium. When it was built, they decided to build it like many European soccer stadiums and make it so that everything sounds about 10 times louder inside. This is designed so that the fans' chanting and cheering really echoes throughout and every game becomes as rowdy as a European match regardless of the size of the crowd.

That's perfect for soccer and other sports, but horrible for drum corps. Even for the smaller Open Class corps the echo would be a lot worse than at any dome and it would be unbearable to listen to.

On the other hand, a drum corps show was recently held at PPL Park near Philly and it was beautiful. Granted the stadium is built to look like a small college stadium at best, but the top is wide open so there's no echo. Also, the stadium is built right under the Commodore Barry Bridge that goes across the Delaware River so that gave the show a beautiful background.

TLDR: If this Orlando stadium is built like Red Bull Arena, it will be unusable. If it's built like PPL Park, the return of DCI Orlando seems likely. It's all up to the contractors Orlando City S.C. is using,

There's also this place as a better Orlando option: Brighthouse Stadium, home of the University of Central Florida. Grass field, seats around 45,000 or so, and is NOT the Citrus Bowl:

IMG_0365Copy2.jpg

You'll be hard-pressed to find a bigger proponent for DCI activity in Florida than me, but I really don't think the issue is going to be solved by a

soccer Stadium. At the end of the day, the professionals here need to get their house in order to really bring the activity back. The Boston Crusaders do absolutely wonderful things for us, given all of the mismanagement and setbacks that the community has endured, we are extremely lucky that a World Class organization like them chose to site their winter rehearsals here. What really needs to happen, though, is for a group of professionals to dedicate themselves to building an organization that is able to put a product on the field that demands attention, an organization with its financial and executive structure in place locally to perennially organize a DCI event, and one with a weather-proof (read:in a dome) performance venue. Until we get to that point, I do not see DCI as a whole being able to view Florida as a worthy cause.

EDIT: There is talk of the Rays moving out of Tropicana Field in the not-too-distant future. My understanding was that conflicts were related to the pro baseball schedule at the site? Having attended many successful events in the arena, it would be wonderful if DCI could host an air-conditioned, rain-proof event at the Trop, perhaps even sponsored by Tampa Bay Thunder or FMBC. There is such potential here, it just needs to have a truly solid support structure, something that has eluded Florida corps for decades.

Edited by HoltonH178