Welcome back to Florida, DCI

I was in Florida last week for a wedding. The bride grew up in Orlando there were some locals at my table.The topic of the stadium came up and the people were less than enthused. Not sure why. All I could tell is whatever the reason, don't go there.....

Now as far as the person who suggested the UCF stadium--I only passed by the campus but it looked like a greats setting for a DCI event.

• 1 year later...

There is a way to bring back a DCI show to Florida. One of the biggest issues has, and will be, the rain. Almost every show that has been held in Orlando, there has been an issue with rain.Hey, summer is monsoon season down here.

Solution: Use Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg. Its a dome (yes, acoustics prob aren't the best, but that's an issue in all domes).

We can't do anything about the distance, but I'd be willing to bet if a combined DCI/DCA show (with notable Corps) were to be held there, it would draw a very nice crowd. Fact of the matter is, we have a very large number of alumni from various corps in Florida ( and a lot of retiree alumni who live in Florida who would go if there were some DCA/alumni notables in the mix). Florida has sound sport groups, an Open class DCI corps, and alumni corps who would gladly help with this.

Think about it .

• Like 1

The Tropicana Dome?

REALLY?

Not only is it a dome, but also a baseball stadium. No thanks!

• Like 1

woogie, are you talking about championships at the new stadium, or just a show?

I doubt DCI will ever hold finals outdoors in a rain-prone area again. They think it's too risky. If Saturday is wiped out by rain, the financial hit to DCI, in their eyes, is enormous. I don't think they're looking to leave Indy for finals week, but if they do, I think it would either be to another indoor venue or to a city where it almost never rains in August like Pasadena.

And the problem with "just a show" is similar. Too many deadhead roundtrip miles to a weather-risky area that hasn't historically shown up in large numbers at shows. Wasn't the last regular show or two rained out? And didn't Hop say he was out? There are probably other corps that feel the same way.

Dci has a contract with Lucas Oil Stadium until at least 2028 for finals.

The Trop is the worst acoustic environment I've ever experienced. Rather would drive across the state for a show than go to the Trop.

• Like 1

Dci has a contract with Lucas Oil Stadium until at least 2028 for finals.

Yes. You may not have realized that this is yet another postseason zombie thread. They're spreading faster here than Night of the Living Dead. :tounge2: You quoted a post from me from 2013 when that contract extension was but a gleam in Dan Acheson's eye.

I'd just like to see a show in Florida. Preferably a regional or a big show, something like the "Sunshine Classic." DCI will keep Finals in Indy or in a location they can better control the environment, schools, and other facilities.

The other trick to bringing a big show back to Florida is getting some other smaller shows to appear in south Georgia or Alabama, and perhaps another small show in Florida.

I still think there can be some tie-ins with Disney for the corps that attend such a show. Parades in Epcott, Magic Kingdom, and perhaps a TOC-style stand still concert (a la what happened at Indiana State this past summer because of rain).

I still think there can be some tie-ins with Disney for the corps that attend such a show. Parades in Epcott, Magic Kingdom, and perhaps a TOC-style stand still concert (a la what happened at Indiana State this past summer because of rain).

Also, to quote myself, what I am getting at with this is the potential for some revenue generation for the attending corps, not just from appearance fees, but potentially from Disney or Universal.

The Trop would be an excellent venue. I've heard many times that there's too much of an echo there, but after Atlanta, I guess that's a problem with any dome.Also, cost wise, I've heard from a reliable source that the trop is actually less expensive for non profits, so that also might be a plus.