Welcome back to Florida, DCI

Actually from a business standpoint I have heard several directors say never again . Not just possible rain, but the cost to cut into central fl. for basically 8-12 hours then head on out. I remember one saying I can spend the 5 or 6 grand to get to orlando on something else. A point you made above.

Like most things. Never say never...lol

Oh, yea, this.

• Like 1

But that's not the business sense of it. Going to Florida makes no business sense, it seems.

And, so far, at least DCI has been unconvinced that FL is a hotbed of drum corps activity when there isn't even a corps in the state. It costs a lot to get to CA, too, but the whole west coast supports the activity with many corps.

Unless there's a nice, comfy dome for the big dance, I think it's a non-starter to even talk about it.

well there was Boston..lol

You're right though. Directors have said it didnt make sense and a day off at Disney or a parade dont cut it for most,unless it fits into a bigger need

I hear you. Any show in Florida in July has a 50-50 chance of evening lightning alone causing a show cancellation too..That said, its inconceivable that a national organization such as DCI can totally ignore not having a show every once in awhile in the nation's 3rd largest populated state.

Old timer alert...

We (Cadets) stopped off in Miami in 71 to do a Dolphin/49'er summer game...and stayed a week at a local private school rehearsing...on the way to Dallas for VFW Nats.

It rained EVERY day we were there, We would be rehearsing in the heat at the school, and we would see a sharp line of rain moving slowly towards us. As it approached, we would have to stop what we were doing and dash for cover while a torrential downpour covered the area. A half hour or so later, the storm moved along and it was sunny again...though gosh awful humid after the rain.

At our performance (which, BTW, was broadcast 100% over NBC TV), it POURED on us. There is a front page pic the next day in one of the main Miami Newspapers of our timpani line with the water just bouncing of the drums.

. .

Old timer alert...

We (Cadets) stopped off in Miami in 71 to do a Dolphin/49'er summer game...and stayed a week at a local private school rehearsing...on the way to Dallas for VFW Nats.

It rained EVERY day we were there, We would be rehearsing in the heat at the school, and we would see a sharp line of rain moving slowly towards us. As it approached, we would have to stop what we were doing and dash for cover while a torrential downpour covered the area. A half hour or so later, the storm moved along and it was sunny again...though gosh awful humid after the rain.

At our performance (which, BTW, was broadcast 100% over NBC TV), it POURED on us. There is a front page pic the next day in one of the main Miami Newspapers of our timpani line with the water just bouncing of the drums.

. .

were those extra "drumbeats" judged???

(This old timer remembers when the rain on the roof and thunderclaps kept pulling Crown off the field in Atlanta ...yes in the Dome...because the percussion judges couldn't hear accurately.)

"ahhh florida... God's waiting room" ~Stewie Griffin

Either this topic has fallen off the main page, or no one here is a sports fan.

http://deadspin.com/orlando-gets-stadium-approved-for-21st-major-league-soc-1450758994

2015, if DCI isn't back in Orlando, then it's got issues.

1) cheaper stadium fee than the current dump of a stadium in Orlando

2) more intimate

3) not a dump

4) did I mention it's not going to be a dump like the Citrus Bowl?

5) less chance of being mugged in the parking lot

6) it has a less chance of flooding when there's rain

7) WrestleMania won't rip up the field the week prior to the show

8) The giant drum corps fan base in Florida will be happy

I marched Freelancers in 83 when DCI was in Miami and it was awful. I have also spent time in Orlando which is just as horrible. August weather there is hot , humid and rainy. The bugs in Florida are legendary for their size. I cannot imagine a worse place to spend a lot of time than anywhere in that swamp of a state, except perhaps Louisiana. I was a bit bummed when DCI signed their new deal with Indy. Couldn't DCI have thrown the west a bone and had one Finals in CA, or CO before signing on for 10 (or whatever the new deal is) more years in Indy. It is just a bit sad that there will be zero late season World Class shows in the western part of the USA for many, many years. Oh well, time for me to get over it, and start saving some cash, so I can attend Finals in Indy 2016!

But that's not the business sense of it. Going to Florida makes no business sense, it seems.

And, so far at least, DCI has been unconvinced that FL is a hotbed of drum corps activity when there isn't even a corps in the state. .

Logistics aside, the fact that there " isn't even a Corps in the state".. is one reason DCI might think of going. Its not a negative. Its an opportunity.

It reminds me of the story of a large Shoe company that hires 2 young new shoe salesmen. They send both to a remote island to sell shoes, sneakers, sandals to the natives there. One to end of the island, the other to the other end. They advance each each salesmen 200 footwear to sell, and 5,000 on order. After 24 hours of arrival, the first salesmen calls back to HQ. and tells his company.. " cancel the order for 5,000 footwear. The natives wear no footwear here !!!". The 2nd shoe salesmen at the other end of the island, calls HQ at the same moment and tells his company.. " double the order for 5,000 footwear. The natives wear no footwear here !!!".

Florida has produced more Top 12 Finalist Corps than Texas has. Its time to go sell some" footwear " there in Florida again, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

. I have also spent time in Orlando which is just as horrible. August weather there is hot , humid and rainy. The bugs in Florida are legendary for their size. I cannot imagine a worse place to spend a lot of time than anywhere in that swamp of a state, except perhaps Louisiana.

Southwest Florida, on the Gulf Coast side, Sarasota 1-75 all the way down to Key West is pure heaven ...except for the summers. There are no insects like the " lovebugs " they have up in North Florida. Orlando, Miami are not my cup of tea, but I'd take most of Florida any day over California for example. California used to be a pretty state. Now its a mess of old and worn glitz, pollution, overdevelopment, lookalike,overpriced tract homes, overtaxation, and endless strip malls . People build their homes on cliffs around the Coasts there now.. They're Cliff Dwellers, can you imagine ? Oh well, to each his own.( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Retiree's get more bang for their pension checks in FL than those in CA.

Yes... and Florida is one of the few remaining states that has no State Income Tax.. also good for retirees that draw income from other than Pensions, Social Security.

• Like 1