Scores..."where everything is made up and the points don't mat

The point is they know how to 'win' at a highest level activity because they have been taught how to 'win' at the higest level, they have been surrounded by staff who know how to 'win', they know the effort it takes to 'win', and that is a quality trait which gives that person an advantage in real life situations.

funny. one of the most successful people I ever marched with never won a ###### thing

funny. one of the most successful people I ever marched with never won a ###### thing

Yeah, we can go back & forth with the Champions who don't amount to a ton later in life, or people in low-achieving corps who are principal trumpet w/a major symphony. There are plenty of each of those stories to go around...

All of that is fine and I commend you for doing what you desire; but you posed two rather poignant questions: 1) “How is one taught how to win?”; and 2) “You learn this better from a top corps than others?”. The answer to #1 is you are taught to win from those who ingrain you with the attitude of never accepting anything less from yourself than the desire, the work, the effort, with the proper ethics, 'to win'; and also teach you that while you are to be thankful for your accomplishments as you move forward you should never ever be completely satisfied until you ‘win’, and then attempt to win again, and agin. Thus you are taught that the process of attaining the win is the goal not just the win itself; that is how one is ‘taught’ to win. And the answer to #2 is Yes; you do learn this better from the top corps who have obtained the ring or those who do everything they can within the bounds of ethics to win the ring. While I am not a proponent of the G7 proposal, the attitude ‘to win’ is really what separates the top corps from all other corps. However it is not an elite group; that is where I balk at the G7 proposal. Because any corps, if they so choose, can take the journey to put together staff and performers with the desire and attitude ‘to win’ (and this was just manifested by Crown in their twenty-three year journey from 33rd to 1st ).

Underlined the parts that helped me understand your point better and agree more about what you are saying about "learning to win". Westshore took the same journey during my time and was runner up few years after I left after winning almost all season. And yes there was a long term plan involved. Still say one of our missing pieces was getting members with experience but being Sr corps that is a difference from the short time people are eligible to march in Jrs. But during that period I'd say both corps were both a top corps and a lesser corps so bit confused on how well they train if not "top" but "doing everything they can".

As for what we remember post depends on the person. I just posted a pic of our last place corps on FB and enjoying filling in the history of that era. Lot of memories over my 8 years with Westshore and some are beating corps for the first time and the grunt line efforts to get the corps back on the field (twice) so mixed bag of what comes up. As for my parade/standstill years, no points but was with a group striving to be the best they could musically and picked some complex charts to push ourselves. LOL, corps wasn't a name corps so we didn't have to worry about reliving the past/glory days as I think some corps do. For those later 8 years main memory is looking at some of the charts and thinking "I can't believe I'm playing this ####". :wow:

Not a response to any posts but started thinking of Al Bundy spending his life remembering "4 touchdowns with Polk High". May none of us ever get that way....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I never stated, contended, or implied that those who have not won cannot become successful at other endeavors. What I did say is that those who have won something at a high level like DCI have an ‘advantage’ in interviews and career situation, not because they marched drum corps, but because they have already 'learned how to win' at a high level activity.

Edited by Stu

No, that is not why ‘all’ kids march drum corps. This is going to sound crass and I mean no disrespect, but…. how many rings have you earned and how close have you or your corps been to obtaining a ring? The reason I ask is that there are many who have won the title, or had the title within reach, who would disagree with you on how little you think that achievement was/is in motivating a performer to become ‘the best’ if for only a brief moment. Winning is a great motivator to win again, and win again, and win again, and that is a wonderful great thing to do as well as having the amazing summer flashing before their eyes as they walk out of the exit tunnel after the last performance of the season.

I think you missed the point as to why I said that is why kids march drum corps.

When you were first introduced to the activity, what did you notice and aspire to be a part of?

A group of young performers doing what they love, or some fancy ring that a few of them are wearing?

Sure once they get into the activity, they will see that there are some groups that have more talent in them than others, but really pursuing a fancy ring isn't the reason that someone would want to march drum corps.

Catch my drift?

P.S. No offense taken by your statement, I just believe you misunderstood my statement.

When you were first introduced to the activity, what did you notice and aspire to be a part of?

A group of young performers doing what they love, or some fancy ring that a few of them are wearing?

The moment I was introduced to the activity I not only fell in love with the high quality of the various corps performances, but more so the fact that this is a ‘competitive’ activity (i.e Marching Music Major League or Summer Music Games). So, when I decided to become a part of the DCI activity I thus wanted to audition for, and perform with, a corps which either had already been previous champions and still capable of being a champion in any given year, or perform with a corps which was very, very close to becoming a first-time champion. And by the way, there are many, many, many, many performers within the past and present DCI just like me with the same competitive philosophy.

I really in general do not like how Stu makes his point... But I do agree with Stu here and after I marched for 2 seasons in a smaller corps where I really learned what DCI and the whole competitive aspect, I marched a corps for the next 3 years that gave me a chance to:

1) Perform at night.

2) have a shot at the ring.

3) gave me a chance to perform at the highest level possible.

I had 2 corps that afforded me that opportunity right in my back yard, so I picked the one that was less militaristic and had a more casual style of rehearsal. I was never one for being pushed around.

P.S. No offense taken by your statement, I just believe you misunderstood my statement.

Thanks for believing me when I wrote 'no disrespect'. You chose to march with your corps for a different reason then I did; and that is ok. I looked at the previous DCI champions, along with the potential first-time champions, and then decided on which of those corps I liked the best as it applied to staff philosophy and performance style; then auditioned, and thankfully made, that corps. That was also the same way I decided on what university to attend. I researched were the best graduates were coming from in the field I wanted to have my career, decided on a few of those institutions which I really liked, applied for scholarships, and attended the school which gave me the best scholarship. No matter what I choose to do, DCI, University, or Career, I attempt to be a part of 'the best' and ‘win’.

Edited by Stu

Thanks for believing me when I wrote 'no disrespect'. You chose to march with your corps for a different reason then I did; and that is ok.

I see we have reached a settlement.

There are different approaches people can take to drum corps, neither is "wrong", just only in the eyes of the opposing ideas.