Surf going to Minneapolis in 2014!

Don't have time to look up Garfield's non-profit numbers, but wondering if they can take the next step financially?? Will the additional performance payouts going to help cover the new costs?

From the article: We've been extremely conservative with our finances since the corps' founding, and now after 24 years, we're taking what we feel is the next logical step in our ongoing evolution."

Does that mean they're no longer being financially conservative? Or that they are totally going to be okay because of that conservatism?

Just don't want another Teal Sound situation... I love Surf!!! :-)

Edited by ranintothedoor

Don't have time to look up Garfield's non-profit numbers, but wondering if they can take the next step financially?? Will the additional performance payouts going to help cover the new costs?

From the article: We've been extremely conservative with our finances since the corps' founding, and now after 24 years, we're taking what we feel is the next logical step in our ongoing evolution."

Does that mean they're no longer being financially conservative? Or that they are totally going to be okay because of that conservatism?

I'm thinking, knowing the team, if they weren't ready, they wouldn't be doing it.

• Like 2

I'm thinking, knowing the team, if they weren't ready, they wouldn't be doing it.

I agree with Jeff on this. They were hesitant their first 3 seasons in world class of traveling far from the east coast until finals. It wasn't until the change in show programming direction that they decided to venture else where which I am guessing is in their financial means. I hope they are in the right of way to do this. I miss teal and don't wanna end up missing surf

Because Surf has been fiscally conservative in the past does not mean that they will throw money away in the future. Also, where there are so many theories about what happened to Teal Sound (poor finances, poor decision making, not collecting fees, not paying bills, being allied with the Axis of Evil, etc.), comparisons to the corps may not be accurate. Also, most corps boast of being financially conservative even f they do not use that wording and I know I've never heard any corps speak about being irresponsible or excessive in the spending department.

Personally, what impresses me most about Surf is not its recent audience appeal though I really enjoy their shows and hope that they'll still compete in the early New England shows next year. Surf has always been focused on what is best for the marching members, whether it was when they first started out and were creative, when their shows were a bit more conventional, or to the 2012 and 2013 shows where they rocked everyone in the stands, so I think there's very reason we can trust Surf's decision to go to Minneapolis.

really it's the next logical step. Since going World Class, they stepped up to getting to Texas, and now, really doing what amounts to a full tour. if finances were as such that they weren't ready, then Surf wouldn't be doing it like some others don't.