Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Ah, that nefarious "elitist" label. Part of the "don't judge me" movement. Apparently that word has been redefined to mean "a person who stands on principle", because that's the case here. Everyone has to have a line in the sand, otherwise you are incapable of sitting in judgement of anything and, therefore, must accept and support everything. I don't choose to be that way. I don't have to blindly support anyone or anything...even my brothers...if they are doing things I disagree with. That's called individuality.

It's obvious that DCI has sold out to chase band parents and new fans, rather than trying to retain the older, established fans. If you played football growing up, you probably still watch it and maybe even attend games. However, DCI is bleeding legacy fans faster than any niche activity I've ever seen. More power to them. I just choose not to support it.

Yea, because keeping drum corps being a neighborhood thing worked with the drop of over 60% from the 70's to the 80's, which by the way was the sharpest drop of any decade in the history of the activity. Yeah, push away the band kids.

How did you learn about DCI, mine was my Madison alum band director.

So glad this topic is about the 2014 Scouts, seems like yet another thread about the state of the activity, oh wait.

• Like 1

A bit ago there was quite a nice topic about Madison's hypothetical introduction of trombones.

One of the main "antagonists" (I use that word as being vehemently against trombones and apparently the progression of DCI in general) was FlamMan, an alum of the corps.

And here I am yet again on this ridiculous site reading him and other alumni trash about this progression and talk about how disappointed they are.

Well on that trombone post I made a nice long comment which seemed to go ignored, and now that a similar "discussion" has arisen, I think it's about time to bring my comment back for these alum to see.

Honestly, this thread is a disappointment to me as a Madison Scout, and just as a Marcher in general. To see alums that are so caught up in their own opinions that they're willing to turn their backs on their own corps is quite frankly disgraceful.

To us who are currently marching with the Scouts, I know there are mixed feelings about trombones. Some of us don't care, some of us are excited for the qualities of sound that we can now produce (obviously not wanting to put them ON the field because cleaning slide heights would be a NIGHTMARE), and I know there are some of us who are hesitant about changing the rules and hesitant about being the "controversial corps" this year (even though; may I remind you; we obviously aren't the only ones who wanted to add trombones). And I'm sure there's even more different opinions within our own corps that are all over the spectrum.

But what's important is that we all reconcile our feelings with each other and pull together to put on a good show, because THAT'S what Drum Corps is about. It's about bringing people to tears with good music and a good show and touching that one 14 year old in the audience who's gonna grow up and march corps one day. And if it takes a trombone solo on the field to do that, then I will put down everything, and I will play a trombone on the 50 and I will tell that boy, "You can come be a Madison Scout too, and you can come and learn how to touch people's hearts by being in this amazing activity."

And what's even more important than that?

Brotherhood.

Our corps is founded on the principles of Brotherhood, of caring and being there for every member; whether alternate or soloist or drum major; past, present, and future. To see alumni of an organization like this be so flippant and turn their backs on their brothers just because of a differing opinion (not even with the members themselves, just with the creative staff who; if you didn't already know; WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER), makes me sick.

To FlamMan and the other Scouts alum, you're supposed to BE there for the members, especially now when more and more of the fans aren't being supportive. Alums and members of our organization are ALL OF US brothers. It doesn't matter if you march in 1950 or 2050, we are all brothers and we are all Madison Scouts.

Or maybe Brotherhood just doesn't mean the same to you as it does to us.

Either way, no matter the reason, I'm still going to support you and what you do because that's what it's all about. That's what the motto is, and I ain't about to let any of y'all forget that. No matter how vehemently you despise the rule change, you of all people should be a supporter, because every day that we're on the field, we're behind you 100%, and we're behind each other 100%.

The real question here is are you going to abandon your petty squabbles and nostalgia and embrace what our corps; and what all corps; are REALLY about?

And that's support, and family, and love. And for us?

It's Brotherhood. 100%.

MYNWA

To tesmusic and other alums being supporting, THANK YOU MORE PLEASE.

And to other alums who think that Drum Corps changing means they can abandon what they learned at the Scouts,

YOU SIGNED UP TO BE A BROTHER.

MYNWA MEANS FAMILY. FAMILY MEANS NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND OR FORGOTTEN.

Edited by JuryDefender
  • Like 3

Fellow alums and others having issues with the direction the Scouts are going,

I have a thought. How about if you have issues with what the corps is doing, you contact Dann Peterson or Chris Komnick with your concerns.

Coming in here and complaining about the state of the activity, or our beloved corps is not helping anyone. They are very receptive, and will give you the information you're looking for.

If you aren't following the activity, or have started to leave the activity because of your views, maybe this will shed light, and help you to either fully make the decision to leave, or to support.

Their director contacts are:

Dann-

director@madisonscouts.org

Chris-

ckomnick@madisonscouts.org

• Like 1

I have been away from this site for a while and part of me is sad that I came back !

I wish that some alums. would just remember what it was like when they marched. I know when I marched some of the alums. said the same things some are saying today. " Your ruining drum corps .... grounding bells and ..... low mark time ..... !" Really no differant today, " Your ruining drum corps.... vocals .... sysnth .......trombones !

To my younger Brothers,I have been back with the corps sence 2007 when my son marched . I can tell you that 99.9 % of alumi are behind you guys all the way ! As for the other .1% , you will just have to look the other way and remember that all families have "Black Sheep " in them .

You Will Never Walk Alone

Bill Leslie

• Like 5

Ah, that nefarious "elitist" label. Part of the "don't judge me" movement. Apparently that word has been redefined to mean "a person who stands on principle", because that's the case here. Everyone has to have a line in the sand, otherwise you are incapable of sitting in judgement of anything and, therefore, must accept and support everything. I don't choose to be that way. I don't have to blindly support anyone or anything...even my brothers...if they are doing things I disagree with. That's called individuality.

It's obvious that DCI has sold out to chase band parents and new fans, rather than trying to retain the older, established fans. If you played football growing up, you probably still watch it and maybe even attend games. However, DCI is bleeding legacy fans faster than any niche activity I've ever seen. More power to them. I just choose not to support it.

:thumbs-up: Very well said & 100% right on the money.

Edited by FlamMan

I have been away from this site for a while and part of me is sad that I came back !

I wish that some alums. would just remember what it was like when they marched. I know when I marched some of the alums. said the same things some are saying today. " Your ruining drum corps .... grounding bells and ..... low mark time ..... !" Really no differant today, " Your ruining drum corps.... vocals .... sysnth .......trombones !

To my younger Brothers,I have been back with the corps sence 2007 when my son marched . I can tell you that 99.9 % of alumi are behind you guys all the way ! As for the other .1% , you will just have to look the other way and remember that all families have "Black Sheep " in them .

Bill Leslie

Always right on the money Bill!

When we started working on the 1997 show, Pirates of Lake Mendota, I heard alums thinking that the idea of doing some pirate/symphonic/some jazz/some etc. show wouldn't work, especially after the latin trilogy, and yeah, it worked out pretty well for us and the audience.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

Bill Leslie

You cast an awfully wide net with that last paragraph. But yes, I guess the best way to silence dissent is to paint the opposition as something unsavory. Frankly quite surprised/not surprised at how many people fail to stand on any kind of principle on these issues.

And I would wholeheartedly disagree with Bill. 99% of alums don't stand behind the corps on this issue. I'd put the number south of 45%, if I were just guessing off the top of my head. A lot of grumbling going on.

Always right on the money Bill!

When we started working on the 1997 show, Pirates of Lake Mendota, I heard alums thinking that the idea of doing some pirate/symphonic/some jazz/some etc. show wouldn't work, especially after the latin trilogy, and yeah, it worked out pretty well for us and the audience.

This is a silly thing to say. Alums thought it wouldn't work because of the "Latin trilogy"? Seriously? 3 years don't make a trend. '93 and '98 were more "typical" Madison than '94-'96 were.