Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Scouts took out the closing music of their show. Probably in an effort to create contrast from how loud most of the show is, or build the concept more... I am sad and disappointed. They edited the ending last year for the worse as well :(

Plus the concept is still not getting through well with the single character. They're trying more experimental approach with less gimmicks, and I applaud them for going that route, but unfortunately their choices are not efficient enough. It's very much about the music in this show, but visually the audience doesn't get many efficient cues as to "hey it's a time trip through several decades". While they enjoy the music (or at least I do), the concept gets a bit muffled.

It could be worse. If this show were done by Crown/BD unfortunately we would see them resort to cheap ploys, unneccessary gimmicks only achievable by having a greater budget $$$$$$$ (buying success, or the drum corps equivalent of bad DLC), & stereotypes/caricatures including but not limited to:

1) backdrops changing throughout the show starting with drab Mad Men-esque illustartions eventually changing to generic 70s font and color marketing.

2) fedoras and briefcases in the 50s section, affros and pantomimed drug usage in the 70s section

2) disco ball light effects (using stadium lighting as the source)

3) a "peace sign" as a single drill set during the trumpet trio end section because the audience is stupid and won't "get it", or perhaps actually writing the years in the drill sets for lack of creative inspiration.

4) sound-bytes from each decade somehow-but-not-really relating to the show,

5) a slight costume change; adding color to the uniforms towards the end section via some sort of flag or garb revealed at that time a'la 1989 PR drum break

Ugh. And the sad part is that would actually add GE points...

I agree so much. I've talked about BD's bleh some in the 2014 bd thread and some people insist their shows can be over the top confusing year after year and still hold interest.

• Like 1

So what happens when you have people that dont like jazz at all? I know its early season but the show just left me in a huh? state. Im sure ill see it again and it will make some more sense but after watching it i should have something stuck in my head that makes me want to listen again right? Like BDs opener i love or Blue Stars closer (its a song i heard on the radio so it sticks) even Crowns muffler feature(dont really like the show). I want to like the show from what Ive heard from everyone. And the guy walking is like a dropped drumstick in WGI. It isnt moving but you watch that to see if someone will step and fall.

If viewing drum corps on fan network makes you and your friend bored, maybe this activity is no longer for you guys. I've viewed every show I could get my hands on as well as live here in CA. Even the smallest of corps made me feel excited here in 2014.

ALSO: If you ever view a dance production that has a solo dancer sloooooowly walk across the stage, chances are it's symbolic of time, Just like in a movie if a scene fades out and fades back in,, that also means time has passed. Oldest staging trick in the book.. ;-)

My advice is that you read more books, and view less drum corps on FN. Life is too short to be bored viewing Madison Scouts.

Scouts took out the closing music of their show. Probably in an effort to create contrast from how loud most of the show is, or build the concept more... I am sad and disappointed. They edited the ending last year for the worse as well :(

The new ending is brutal. 2 thumbs down to the Scouts design staff for coming up with this anticlimactic snoozer of an ending. Who wants to see & hear a drum corps show end like this?

• Like 4

In order to do a successful comparison of styles show, you must select only two styles, and do everything in your power to select two distinctly different pieces of music, drill and uniform. The show must contain a crystal clear distinction in styles, and must clarify the moment of transition. (Perhaps creating the rotating company front that transforms into the new style. Boom. A distinct visual cue.) It's also best if you determine a historical moment when the style changed, and root the whole show in that year. "The Year Jazz Changed Forever." Three styles? Too much.

Edited by Brutus
  • Like 2

The new ending is brutal. 2 thumbs down to the Scouts design staff for coming up with this anticlimactic snoozer of an ending. Who wants to see & hear a drum corps show end like this?

I would be a liar if I said that I don't disagree with a lot of what you say on here. I just watched it on youtube. Oh my God.

I absolutely agree with you here, that's NOT Madison.

Someone tell me Madison doing a silent ending is not wrong? Eek. :shutup: That closer goes absolutely nowhere.

Edited by DrumManTx

Closer isn't done. Who are you people that are griping constantly about the Scouts? Do any of you really understand how complex their time signatures are in this show? Give it a rest. The complaining is ridiculous. They are not even done with the show and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed come mid season. I, for one, like this show. I love the music. They have a great hornline and good percussion. Sick of hearing all the negative thoughts about the show. These guys work their butts off and they deserve more respect. Don't lose faith in Jim Mason or this corps. They will not disappoint.

Closer isn't done. Who are you people that are griping constantly about the Scouts? Do any of you really understand how complex their time signatures are in this show? Give it a rest.

Well, NR_Ohiobando, who the first to mention, with some disappointment, that the ending was being changed, was also the person who posted at great length about how the show was more challenging than the judges seemed to be crediting it, and he specifically talked about the tricky time signatures. You should read his posts.

• Like 2

Closer isn't done. Who are you people that are griping constantly about the Scouts? Do any of you really understand how complex their time signatures are in this show? Give it a rest. The complaining is ridiculous. They are not even done with the show and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed come mid season. I, for one, like this show. I love the music. They have a great hornline and good percussion. Sick of hearing all the negative thoughts about the show. These guys work their butts off and they deserve more respect. Don't lose faith in Jim Mason or this corps. They will not disappoint.

No; it has turned into a sleepfest at the end and they need to act now to rectify it.
  • Like 2

They have a great hornline AND a great percussion section!