Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Also, they'd march and play better.

I was going to say the same thing

Madison gets this b.s. every year from the judges. It is so unfair. Their show is awesome. Don't get discouraged, Scouts! Your fans still love you. What I don't understand is why the corps and the fans continue to put up with the bull. There is no integrity in DCI judging. I can predict the first place corps just by virtue of the first set of scores. It will always be the same...until fans get sick of it all. And why the head guys in the Scouts don't throw in the towel is beyond me. I'm hoping they are expressing their discontent.

Madison gets this b.s. every year from the judges. It is so unfair. Their show is awesome. Don't get discouraged, Scouts! Your fans still love you. What I don't understand is why the corps and the fans continue to put up with the bull. There is no integrity in DCI judging. I can predict the first place corps just by virtue of the first set of scores. It will always be the same...until fans get sick of it all. And why the head guys in the Scouts don't throw in the towel is beyond me. I'm hoping they are expressing their discontent.

Just substitute the word " football " with the word " Judging " :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLyjcXQmF0

• Like 2

Closer isn't done. Who are you people that are griping constantly about the Scouts? Do any of you really understand how complex their time signatures are in this show? Give it a rest. The complaining is ridiculous. They are not even done with the show and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed come mid season. I, for one, like this show. I love the music. They have a great hornline and good percussion. Sick of hearing all the negative thoughts about the show. These guys work their butts off and they deserve more respect. Don't lose faith in Jim Mason or this corps. They will not disappoint.

I marched with the Scouts. I love the corps. I love the Jazz music & the traditional approach, but the beginning & end of this years Scouts show is weak, the visual design & color guard are weak, & there just arent any "wow" moments in the show. The new ending is awful & none of the songs are played long enough to do the original scores justice & they never seem to develop. This should have been a great show. Instead it is a disjointed collection of musical snippets from an over-zealous arranger/designer. What R.W. Smith has done with these arrrangements is a travesty.

I hate that my favorite drum corps is in a battle for a 9-12 spot in finals, but that is where the Scouts are.

Lastly, as a Drummer, I really miss the days of marching 12 snares & 6 tenors. Why have the drum lines got smaller while the corps are now larger?

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

. Why have the drum lines got smaller while the corps are now larger?

Because the most points on the current DCI judging sheets arn't found in the Percussion sections any longer. They are primarily found in the Guard and in the Visual side. Crown won themselves a DCI Title last season with a 6th place percussion section. No way that happens if they had a 6th place Guard or a 6th place Visual caption. This year, Crown has an improved drumline and their brass line is still stellar. Why then are they in approx. 3rd or 4th place here in early July ? Look at their Visual and Guard scores.. If Percussion was where Corps could get their most points, then we'd see larger Percussion sections over the years, not larger Guards.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Just substitute the word " football " with the word " Judging " :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLyjcXQmF0

I feel that drum corps is a lot like the competition aspects of the movie "Strictly Ballroom", where you have to design things the DCI way, or you're not going to place well, no matter how ground breaking you really are.... You've got to do certain moves or in the case of DCI you have to show certain things to get into the upper boxes. You've got to show "simultaneous demand", et cetera.

It's the way they want it.

• Like 2

This might be the most pathetic piece of homerism crap I've ever read on DCP. Madison blew the opportunity to put a great show on the field this year, and their competition is cleaning more difficult, better designed shows. DCI doesn't owe Madison anything and neither do the judges. Deal with it.

• Like 6

I feel that drum corps is a lot like the competition aspects of the movie Strictly Ballroom, where you have to design things the DCI way, or you're not going to place well, no matter how groundbreaking you really are.... You've got to do certain moves, or in the case of DCI, you have to show certain things to get into the upper boxes. You've got to show "simultaneous demand", et cetera.

It's the way they want it.

Kudos for the Strictly Ballroom reference. Now if someone can just work in a citation of Shall We Dance?, my day will be complete.

• Like 2

Please enlighten us and go ahead and tell us who wins this year.

"It will always be the same" is a pretty ridiculous comment to make coming off a year where Carolina Crown just won their first ever championship.

I am a huge Madison fan. The Scouts are the sole reason I found, follow, and basically married myself into this activity two decades ago.

That said, this year's design is an obvious train wreck. IF these kids were given a better vehicle to drive, the talent would propel them much higher into the DCI ranks. But this one is completely on the staff right now, especially Jim Mason. One has to wonder if he has surpassed his prime in this activity, as the past few years the competitive direction of this corps has seemed to skew in an undesired direction. We all know Jim is a legend in this activity, but something is awry with the direction right now, and I don't think I'm the only one who senses this.

I also realize Madison typically doesn't give two ##### about where they place as long as the crowd is behind them, but this team promised the best of both worlds when they entered into this rebuilding project. And so far, all things considered, they haven't gotten the job done.

I believe Komnick and Peterson have to realize this at some point and make some changes, hopefully finding a mutually beneficial agreement for the future direction of this corps. Placing no higher than 9th for what appears to be the 9th straight year now (I realize Mason only landed here in 2010), it just has to be affecting their ability to restock the shelves each year with talent that might be heading off to other places like Bluecoats, Cadets, or wherever else.

I wish them the best of luck. But for the love of all that is holy, change that ending at the very least. I never ever thought I would consider Madison the hot dog corps in my lifetime (only Relampago got me close to that point...) but this year it is pretty much right there for me.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 2