Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I mean, all is not doom and gloom. Madison may not be back to their Top 6 glory, but at least they haven't had a 2002 in over a decade right?

I mean, all is not doom and gloom. Madison may not be back to their Top 6 glory, but at least they haven't had a 2002 in over a decade right?

2007 and 2009 come to mind as worse than 2002 in my book. Both were not even CLOSE to sniffing finals, and both placed lower than 2002 (15th each year). At least 2002 had some entertaining moments with Scott Stewart still in the lead.

2007 and 2009 come to mind as worse than 2002 in my book. Both were not even CLOSE to sniffing finals, and both placed lower than 2002 (15th each year). At least 2002 had some entertaining moments with Scott Stewart still in the lead.

You're totally right. I think I blotted out 07 and 09 from my brain.

You're totally right. I think I blotted out 07 and 09 from my brain.

In 2007, I specifically remember them getting drilled by Southwind at three straight shows (no disrespect to my Southwind friends, I loved that corps), but it was a serious eye opener. Two of those shows in Minnesota were by 2+ points, it wasn't even really that close. That whole early July swing kind of set the pace for the entire year. I will also say, to this very day, their performance in Decatur, Indiana was the single worst Scouts show I can remember watching live. I think I cried that night, honestly.

Thankfully the program improved throughout the rest of the season, but geesh, that was such a disjointed, dysfunctional, no-directional mess of a drum corps. I hope to never see that level of disappointment from Madison again.

Edited by IMcomguy

I've kept my eye on the DCP scouts forum for years just to find out what's going on behind the scenes. As you can see, I don't comment very often (couldn't even remember my login info), but this is been the most whiney, complaining thread I can remember. Many need to lighten up and be supportive of the young men who are working so hard.

IMO

1) This is not a bad show. It just hasn't gelled yet and I'm sure the staff is working on it. I like their concept of Stan Kenton with both the guard and corps uniforms - - slick and classy. If you don't know what I'm talking about just google Stan Kenton and check out the images.

2) Being a brass guy I can only say that the talent in the horn line seems to be there. This music is NOT easy and it make take a bit to get it clean. I have no doubt that they are working towards that daily. Personally, I would rather they push themselves with difficult music then play watered-down stuff.

3) It's important for any organization to have a consistent staff to be successful. Rarely does a group in any activity rocket to the top of their field without years of groundwork, preparation, and hard work. Be patient - it will come, meanwhile, be supportive, sit back, and enjoy.

I am looking forward to seeing them live this year, personally I don't care what their score is. I know it will be an entertaining and quality performance. Maybe those who have got on this thread just to complain and cut them down should start another thread to mount their vengeance.

As for me and my house, GO SCOUTS!!!

Scouts Alumnus 88-90

Edited by Contraman85-90
  • Like 6

Madison gets this b.s. every year from the judges. It is so unfair. Their show is awesome. Don't get discouraged, Scouts! Your fans still love you. What I don't understand is why the corps and the fans continue to put up with the bull. There is no integrity in DCI judging. I can predict the first place corps just by virtue of the first set of scores. It will always be the same...until fans get sick of it all. And why the head guys in the Scouts don't throw in the towel is beyond me. I'm hoping they are expressing their discontent.

Maybe you should take it down a few notches. I don't think there's a conspiracy against the Scouts. I wish they were scoring higher as well but dude..... You are just inviting the usual suspects to come in this thread and bash the crap out of you by posting stuff like this.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 3

Because the most points on the current DCI judging sheets arn't found in the Percussion sections any longer.

Unlike DCI champions from: 79 where BD was 5th in drums and 80 where they were 6th, and Garfield was 5th in 83 and 7th in drumming in 84.

• Like 2

I've kept my eye on the DCP scouts forum for years just to find out what's going on behind the scenes. As you can see, I don't comment very often (couldn't even remember my login info), but this is been the most whiney, complaining thread I can remember. Many need to lighten up and be supportive of the young men who are working so hard.

IMO

1) This is not a bad show. It just hasn't gelled yet and I'm sure the staff is working on it. I like their concept of Stan Kenton with both the guard and corps uniforms - - slick and classy. If you don't know what I'm talking about just google Stan Kenton and check out the images.

2) Being a brass guy I can only say that the talent in the horn line seems to be there. This music is NOT easy and it make take a bit to get it clean. I have no doubt that they are working towards that daily. Personally, I would rather they push themselves with difficult music then play watered-down stuff.

3) It's important for any organization to have a consistent staff to be successful. Rarely does a group in any activity rocket to the top of their field without years of groundwork, preparation, and hard work. Be patient - it will come, meanwhile, be supportive, sit back, and enjoy.

I am looking forward to seeing them live this year, personally I don't care what their score is. I know it will be an entertaining and quality performance. Maybe those who have got on this thread just to complain and cut them down should start another thread to mount their vengeance.

As for me and my house, GO SCOUTS!!!

Scouts Alumnus 88-90

No one is criticizing the marching members, but rather the design staff & arrangers.

• Like 1

Lot of changes last night since I saw them in Rockford, the theme is a bit more clear but not until the 70s

A lot of individual visual ticks, lack of consistency

Notice they re-staged the trombone ensemble, sounded better

Also, they'd march and play better.

I felt like that was a given. I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you here.

My points are mostly that DCI as a whole is rewarding cheap show design rather than a cohesive magnum opus. Pretty much every corps misuses talent in the name of cheap effects, but BD and CCrown seem to do it more than anyone else and get rewarded for it. Hence I mention them by name.

I have this image in my mind of a DCI judge listening to a live orchestral performance of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique and complaining that narration would be a more "effective" way of programming the work.

• Like 2