Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Scouts Fanfare is 36 seconds long @##HAT.

And you think you are the only cat that heard the Guardsman's 79 version? Instructing folks to listen to it ?!?!?

Chill kid, we all heard the wonderful Guardsmen.

Well they cut most of the opener that no one seems to like... which is okay I guess. The field coverage is still making for an absolute nightmare for timing though. Instead it serves as a simple 30 second opening statement and going straight into Passacaglia and Fugue.

The Niner-Two false closer is incredibly awkward and doesn't feel like an ending at all. DM turns to the audience is is like "thanks!", then they keep going with a fast and loud paced ending with the Final Analysis false closer and do another 180 with the sop solo. Ugh. They have such a great rep and are misusing it; it's so frustrating to watch.

I really wish they'd just make Final Analysis the "time travel" runner theme throughout the entire show. It's a simple 9 or 18 count theme that is much more recognizable than anything else in the whole show, so why abuse it by not letting anyone latch on to it? If they tease it a little bit throughout transitions of the show, whenever the big wheel is prominent, or at least include it in their warm-up, a big reprise at the end just seems like it would make so much more sense for the audience. Like "Oh, we were going somewhere. I feel like I was led there because a theme ran through the show with me. OH- TIME TRIP - it was a trip, I get it now". You could even arrange it in common 4/4 time for the warmup, and progressively make it more complex as the show goes on until it gets to the original 9/4.

The unfortunate thing about using music with such large tonal phrases is that the only way to latch on to it easily is to listen over and over and over again. I like the rep, but I'm also familiar with it. I can definitely see why it's frustrating for others who aren't as familiar.

Watching Scouts over the last few years is watching a masturbatory de-evolution of a corps that has an MO of ONLY "being itself".

When those guys came in, all they got was showered with praise for "bringing back Madison".

Now that they continue to give you "Madison" it isn't good enough. The shiny is wearing off and you can see some of the terrible choices they've been making all along.

• Like 2

So I watched the Scouts in Denver last night. I like the show for the most part. The white uniforms are a miss I think. It just doesn't seem like Madison on the field. The quiet ending is a real let down. My interest in Drum Corps as a whole has been dying the last few years and watching last night just solidified that.

Madison and soft endings go together about as well as Phantom Regiment and Channel One Suite :thumbdown:

Watching Scouts over the last few years is watching a masturbatory de-evolution of a corps that has an MO of ONLY "being itself".

When those guys came in, all they got was showered with praise for "bringing back Madison".

Now that they continue to give you "Madison" it isn't good enough. The shiny is wearing off and you can see some of the terrible choices they've been making all along.

To be fair, that 2010 show was meant to fit a simple "getting back into finals" show, and it did. It was simple and acknowledged the past while including new exciting things. And most were happy with that at the time.

And personally I don't think they're being themselves. I think they're trying to find common ground with Mason and the judging community, which is obviously not working. The 2010 show was great for what it was, but once 2011 hit I started becoming more distant. It's like Mason is stuck in Star 92 design mode, which coincidentally didn't work out for them either.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

To be fair, that 2010 show was meant to fit a simple "getting back into finals" show, and it did. It was simple and acknowledged the past while including new exciting things. And most were happy with that at the time.

And personally I don't think they're being themselves. I think they're trying to find common ground with Mason and the judging community, which is obviously not working. The 2010 show was great for what it was, but once 2011 hit I started becoming more distant. It's like Mason is stuck in Star 92 design mode, which coincidentally didn't work out for them either.

:blink: Ya, Stars shows weren't well designed at all..... They were some of the best designed shows of that era, it's just not the type of design that will EVER work for Madison.

Last time I checked Mason wasn't writing drill, heading up the guard department or arraigning music.

• Like 1