Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Shows were a good deal longer in those days too, but point taken.

Drum corps shows were a "good deal" longer in the 1970's?

Some of my favorite shows are mid-'80s BD shows like '84 and '86 where they played a lot of songs, but they killed it with solid arrangements that hit the high points and then moved on. The '93 BD "Don Ellis Portrait" show is in my Top 3 all-time favorite shows. The flow, the arrangements, the soloists. Just doesn't get a lot better than that.

I guess I've finally reached that point where kids today wouldn't even recognize shows like '93 BD as drum corps anymore. The thing that kills me is that we just don't see soloists like we saw in the '80s and '90s anymore. The current brand of drum corps has, IMO, become pristine, antisceptic, and overly concerned with technique. I still received incredible instruction in my years marching, but there was something so ballsy and raw about drum corps that has been lost since then. In my opinion anyway. But, I digress...

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

Scouts are back to being beaten by Blue Stars?? lol Put a bullet in this season and call it done. Those are things that happened during the dark days of the Scouts rebuilding phase. This is truly a facepalm moment. Wow.

Not disparaging the Blue Stars at all. This just isn't a position the Madison Scouts should ever be in...for any reason. How anyone finds that acceptable (even with the "well, they are entertaining audiences" mantra) is beyond me. Reality is, placements DO matter. And when the Blue Stars are kicking your ###, things are NOT good...at all!

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 3

Not disparaging the Blue Stars at all. This just isn't a position the Madison Scouts should ever be in...for any reason. How anyone finds that acceptable (even with the "well, they are entertaining audiences" mantra) is beyond me. Reality is, placements DO matter. And when the Blue Stars are kicking your ###, things are NOT good...at all!

Wait until next week when Crossmen passes them. And let's be honest....Troopers have a much better show, and if they can clean it enough....

Scouts are back to being beaten by Blue Stars?? lol Put a bullet in this season and call it done. Those are things that happened during the dark days of the Scouts rebuilding phase. This is truly a facepalm moment. Wow.

Isn't it nice how there is more than "one" competitive world class corps in Wisconsin? :beer: Cheers, dude!

• Like 3

Not disparaging the Blue Stars at all.

Read all that nonsense you just wrote again and tell me how you're NOT taking a big old swipe directly at the Blue Stars. Yes, placements do matter. You could have gotten that sentiment across quite easily without bringing ANY other drum corps into the equation. But instead, you equate losing to the Blue Stars as being akin to some sort of dark ages for the Madison Scouts, a position they should never be in for any reason, totally unacceptable, and just plain NOT good...at all! The sad thing is that it's not only disrespectful to the Blue Stars, it's disrespectful to the Scouts.

• Like 4

Isn't it nice how there is more than "one" competitive world class corps in Wisconsin? :beer: Cheers, dude!

When has this not been the case? I cannot recall when there have not been at least two competing units.

This doesn't just apply to the 2014 Madison Scouts: Too many corps are "quoting phrases" instead of actually playing a piece of music. Entire shows are now like listening to the painful closing moments of the 1978 Blue Stars who put four counts here of Malaga, eight bars there from Tiger of San Pedro, and just dirty schlock to the end.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1