Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Why don't you get out in 100 degree weather and practice for 15 hours a day. Maybe then you wouldn't be so critical.

Perhaps you've misjudged the audience you're speaking to, but I'd be pretty safe in saying that the vast majority of us have.

Perhaps you've misjudged the audience you're speaking to, but I'd be pretty safe in saying that the vast majority of us have.

Well...if the vast majority of you have marched, then I would think you would be more supportive of the Scouts. And if the vast majority had marched, then they would recognize the difficulty of their music. You all act like they are a train wreck. They deserve more respect. I actually love their show. And so do the majority of the fans.

• Like 3

Well...if the vast majority of you have marched, then I would think you would be more supportive of the Scouts. And if the vast majority had marched, then they would recognize the difficulty of their music. You all act like they are a train wreck. They deserve more respect. I actually love their show. And so do the majority of the fans.

As someone who has never marched...but has a son who marches...perhaps I can give you another perspective.

When I watch a corps perform, I really don't look at or notice the stuff that they get scored on. Instead, I just try to enjoy the show. Sometimes I don't enjoy the show. With the Scouts, I enjoy them.

But for my son, it's a whole different matter. He has a hard time just enjoying a show because he filters everything he sees and hears through his knowledge and experience as a marching member. In one way, he is at a disadvantage to me...but in another way, he isn't. I respect his opinion about shows.

Edited by Gloryah

I just saw the scouts in Dallas and I really enjoyed the show. I really don't follow dci like I did previously because I don't like the direction of the activity. But I digress. I began reading a few threads this week just to get an idea of what folks were saying about shows since Dallas will be the only show I attend this year. I really expected the scouts to be a mess based on the comments in this thread. I was totally surprised by the show. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on crowd response I was not alone.

I think everyone needs to dial back the negativity. Enjoy the show. Seriously it's a crowd pleaser!

• Like 3

I think he was referring to FlamMan...

Don't derail my rant brah. ❤

• Like 1

The Scouts have one of the most difficult musical books on the field this year. I would venture to say top 6. The visual design is a step up from the past couple of years as well. It is a bit unfortunate at the moment that they don't seem to be getting the musical credit they deserve. Overall I like the direction that they are headed.

• Like 4

You seriously didn't understand who I meant by "them"? Yes I'm sure everything is just peachy keen super awesome that an 11th place finish is likely. Maybe 12th. Yes, this definitely meets historical expectations for the Scouts. Sure it does.

The paid staff let down the MARCHING MEMBERS with a poorly designed show, musically and visually. This is my opinion. And I stand by it.

Starting with 2000, their average placement has been 10.5'th. They've been as low as 15th twice and as high as 6th once (my own all-time favorite Scouts show from 2005).

So how is making finals a bad thing? Sure, I'd love to see the Scouts rise...but then who falls? ALL of these corps are so darn good these days that moving up is just a very hard thing to do.

Edited by MikeD

People can love it all they want. People loved shows when they were sitting in 15th place too. However, this is a competitive activity and it's not impossible to both please the fans and score well. Other corps seem to be able to do it. The Scouts should never be in the position they're in. THAT is what most people have a problem with.

Starting with 2000, their average placement has been 10.5'th. They've been as low as 15th twice and as high as 6th once (my own all-time favorite Scouts show from 2005).

So how is making finals a bad thing? Sure, I'd love to see the Scouts rise...but then who falls? ALL of these corps are so darn good these days that moving up is just a very hard thing to do.

All true and I know that. I'm also pretty sure back in 82 when Garfield began their rise, they weren't too worried about who's gonna fall! Same with Crown and now Bluecoats. I'm sure the members are learning, and having fun. I want the staff to give them a program worthy of their history. Not 30 seconds of Fanfare For The New.