Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Well, as someone who is gay, when I see words like 'prancing', or phrases attacking men for lack of masculinity, yeah, I do see homophobia. Or at least a gender attack on a bunch of men for not being manly enough. I get really sick of people not thinking about the impact of the words they choose to use, then get all bent out of shape when they're called out on it.

Even if someone uses the words prancing, mincing, effeminate, lack of masculinity, etc to describe any drum corps, particularly an all male corps, it has a certain nasty undertone that probably shouldn't be there.

Your issue with that is yours. And you choose to automatically go on the defensive, which is your right. But I provided a perfectly legitimate description of my interpretation and it certainly has merit. Perhaps from now on when you read this type of a comment, you can defer to the explanation I provided rather than just automatically assuming a tone or a perceived personal attack against your preferred orientation.

• Like 2

This does not upset me in every aspect, You just stated yout opinion. It does upset me that you did not enjoy the show, well makes me sad really. What does not upset me is the fact you had the class not to disrespect my younger Brothers by saying they had little or no talent.

Thanks ,

Bill Leslie

I think the corps has oodles of talent myself, as does every corps.

I too annually look forward to seeing the Scouts, and was excited to see the new unfiroms.

I just don't think the design team gave them material that allows them to show their true potential. musically it is the most disjointed show I ever remember from the Scouts. I hope they'll change my mind live, but online, this show does nothing for me.

Signed,

A guy who has given Madison many ovations since I first saw them at age 6 in 1975

• Like 1

Also I think it's a bit sensitive to assume that any attacking of men prancing is homophobic. I've definitely seen men prance when they shouldn't, regardless of their sexual orientation. In fact, I find on average that straight men attempting to prance is much more likely to be offensive than gay men prancing. In any case, we would all do well as a gender, regardless of orientation, to raise the bar and step up our prancing game. Too long have we men been timid and tame in this manner. We must boldly prance into the future, -for the sake of our children, and our children's children, be they biological or adopted. Your friends don't prance and if they don't prance, well they're .... not my friends.

• Like 4

Also I think it's a bit sensitive to assume that any attacking of men prancing is homophobic. I've definitely seen men prance when they shouldn't, regardless of their sexual orientation. In fact, I find on average that straight men attempting to prance is much more likely to be offensive than gay men prancing. In any case, we would all do well as a gender, regardless of orientation, to raise the bar and step up our prancing game. Too long have we men been timid and tame in this manner. We must boldly prance into the future, -for the sake of our children, and our children's children, be they biological or adopted. Your friends don't prance and if they don't prance, well they're .... not my friends.

So good. Thank you.

• Like 1

prancing aplenty peeves poster........film at 11:00!!!

• Like 1