Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I'm with swmstom I know that look he speaks of. Slam the lid damb near over your eyes stone cold. And people keep saying where's the brotherhood. Have any of you dated a girl that was no good and everyone could see it and didn't say nothing but your brother was like dude she is gonna ruin you and she has got to go. The one guy that will give it to you straight your brother. Of course you know better than him till your pockets are empty and she ran off with your best friend. That's when you say wow brother why didn't you say anything. What! Your kidding right? That's how I see this. That is all.

There's a lot of wisdom in this post.

I couldn't agree more. Until the judging sheets are changed this is what you'll get with every corps. You get credit if you do it thus get penalized if you don't. IMHO it adds nothing but an opportunity for discussions like this on how stupid it looks. Just think how much time is wasted by all corps during the course of a year on all the hip wagging.

has less to do with sheets and more to do with the fact its 2014 and expanded ways to write, explore and design a program

Started following Scouts in the 90s so that's where my memory comes from. And I marched another corps before Scouts and I can absolutely tell you Scouts in the 90s were some scary dudes when the Superman Suit was on. It wasn't just me that felt that. They had a swagger and bravado that few could even come close to matching.

swagger often is in proportion to how well you are doing. Its easy to have "that swagger" when you are competing at the top and/or believe you are the best. Others will let you get away with it then. Flashing swagger around when your not often can turn on you in negative ways.

Edited by brians
  • Like 3

There's a lot of wisdom in this post.

except for the fact, although I can see their point and even agree to a point ( some other corps NEVER see the wrong in their own ) a brother or family also doesnt call their family out in public..privately, maybe but you stick by family in public...but hey, every family is different I guess....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

except for the fact, although I can see their point and even agree to a point ( some other corps NEVER see the wrong in their own ) a brother or family also doesnt call their family out in public..privately, maybe but you stick by family in public...but hey, every family is different I guess....JMO

Not this one.

I know it's not everyone, but comments from some alumni don't really fit with the image I had of the corps.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 3

I'm with swmstom I know that look he speaks of. Slam the lid damb near over your eyes stone cold. And people keep saying where's the brotherhood. Have any of you dated a girl that was no good and everyone could see it and didn't say nothing but your brother was like dude she is gonna ruin you and she has got to go. The one guy that will give it to you straight your brother. Of course you know better than him till your pockets are empty and she ran off with your best friend. That's when you say wow brother why didn't you say anything. What! Your kidding right? That's how I see this. That is all.

That would be the case if the board of the alumni association (Assuming you have an alumni association with a board. You guys seem pretty well organized.) sat the management and design teams down for a talk about the alumni concerns. The way it seems to go down on here, it's more akin to someone loudly mocking their brother with their own group of buddies. I do see what you're saying, and honestly, it's one of the best explanations for the stuff I've seen on this thread. Just be aware of perception v. how it comes across.

Clearly I'm not part of the Madison Alumni, but I'm surprised by folks overreacting to the show - "Argh, I don't like the show. Therefore, the Madison organization is being ruined." X does not equal Y. The beauty of drum corps is that the directors will look at this program after the season, see what works, see what doesn't work and re-tool accordingly. I have faith, both in the men of Madison and in the proven success of their administration, that they know what they're doing and if they don't end up where they want to be in the standings this year, they know how to get there eventually.

Mike

I think most sane people realize this show isn't going to ruin the organization...just this show isn't all that.

However, it seems to me that, like some other alum/superfans, anything not praising the corps is translated into uber hate. I have followed this thread from the beginning mainly because of the train wreck nature of the posts. Some people trolling to rile up some overly passionate alumni, some people speaking their minds freely, and some people just being dramatic ########.

Madison has survived far worse shows. My question is can it survive the incessant need from some to just rinse and repeat whats Madisons already done? Face it, rehash only gets a corps so far. "madisons all about jazz". Well no not really. Madison has played a wide variety of musical styles over the years, some done ###### well, some not. same for some of their jazz shows.

basically as I read this thread, I realize people really need to chill the #### out. it's drum corps

• Like 2

All prancing & mincing is bad. To be honest, I'm not sure that I would march drum corp today if I had to do all of the stupid body movements & such while playing a Snare Drum.

You probably wouldn't deserve to then.

• Like 2

[body moment] has less to do with sheets and more to do with the fact it's 2014 and [there are] expanded ways to write, explore and design a program.

I have no objection to body movement if it's effective. There was body movement of certain kinds at least as far back in the 1980s. The problem is that a large percentage of body movement adds nothing. (Even back then. Either in 1988 or 1991, Phantom Regiment has a moment where they move their legs in a way that looks like they're all scratching an itch on one calf with the toe of their other foot. It's so stupid.) This differs from marching, which not only is of essence to drum corps but serves a purpose: it moves players from one form to the next (which is why I have no objection to corps that dance from one form to the next, as long as they do it well and preferably while playing: marching is arguably just the most efficient kind of dance step for drum corps.) Random "bug squish" and squatting movements have no such usefulness and whatever they may add in difficulty to a given moment, they almost always detract from the effect. They look silly, most of the time. Of the hundreds of such moves being used by corps this year, there are probably no more than a dozen that actually add to the shows' effectiveness.

• Like 2

I have no objection to body movement if it's effective. There was body movement of certain kinds at least as far back in the 1980s. The problem is that a large percentage of body movement adds nothing. (Even back then. Either in 1988 or 1991, Phantom Regiment has a moment where they move their legs in a way that looks like they're all scratching an itch on one calf with the toe of their other foot. It's so stupid.) This differs from marching, which not only is of essence to drum corps but serves a purpose: it moves players from one form to the next (which is why I have no objection to corps that dance from one form to the next, as long as they do it well and preferably while playing: marching is arguably just the most efficient kind of dance step for drum corps.) Random "bug squish" and squatting movements have no such usefulness and whatever they may add in difficulty to a given moment, they almost always detract from the effect. They look silly, most of the time. Of the hundreds of such moves being used by corps this year, there are probably no more than a dozen that actually add to the shows' effectiveness.

see its just 2 ways of looking at it. I agree sometimes body for the sake of body or if it doesnt fit is pointless., BUT this becomes very subjective if it is or isnt effective. As far as a marching purpose.getting from one set to another, the same can be said of movement in general , which is the term for quite a long time already and which includes different types of movement. I agree with it sometimes just weird looking for a few and that if its going to done , do it well. BUT the same can be said of marching, I guess if its good or not, fits or not, can be all subjective. Oh well...

Edited by GUARDLING