Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I have never doubted any of the guys who said they marched with the Scouts although I'm sure there are plenty of people on DCP that claim to have marched DCI and didn't. Hell it kills me that I never marched in a DCi corps when I clearly had the opportunity but I would never lie and say I did. I just don't understand why you think you have the right to call folks out. I'm sure that like me most Scouts fans and alumni were stoked when they announced the show for this year. I was beyond excited. I think that most people complaining are disappointed in the direction the design staff took with the show. It's just not half the show it could have been, and a soft artsy fartsy ending? From the Scouts? It's hard to swallow.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

My apologies for miss counting, but that answer other than you saying you marched in 1981 was already given.

Who were some guys you marched with that haven't been named on here? Who were the sop soloists? Guys from other sections?

It's not very believable that you marched, especially now with your no alums on the design staff comment.

I'll stop when you give an honest answer with facts you gave, not off base comments and other peoples answers.

Calling someone out on where they marched is bush league. No one owes you anything.

• Like 1

You're correct, Weedy. Chad Duggan is also an alum, as are various other staff members and both directors.

Yeah, but his comment was about design team. There are lots of alums on instructional staff now.

Yeah, but his comment was about design team. There are lots of alums on instructional staff now.

You're right, I guess I should have left the staff part out, but Chad is a designer.

Calling someone out on where they marched is bush league. No one owes you anything.

You're right, it's wrong to call someone out in a "did you even march" way, but that's not what I'm doing.

I'm asking a simple question from a brother.

I have never doubted any of the guys who said they marched with the Scouts although I'm sure there are plenty of people on DCP that claim to have marched DCI and didn't. Hell it kills me that I never marched in a DCi corps when I clearly had the opportunity but I would never lie and say I did. I just don't understand why you think you have the right to call folks out. I'm sure that like me most Scouts fans and alumni were stoked when they announced the show for this year. I was beyond excited. I think that most people complaining are disappointed in the direction the design staff took with the show. It's just not half the show it could have been, and a soft artsy fartsy ending? From the Scouts? It's hard to swallow.

This is spot on! This thread has almost become pathetic in terms of the whining by some, and then the call-outs by others. I get that some may not like the show; that's fine. For those that do like it, that's fine, too. Just stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds (and that might be an insult to some 5 year olds).

I'll start right out and say that I never marched Scouts (marched a small corps in MI) but have been a huge fan since the first time I saw them in 1976. Over that period of time there have been very few shows that, at least on some level, I didn't like. I have to say that this year's show leaves me a bit underwhelmed. Overall, I love the music, but I just think they've tried to cram too much in, and just when you start to get into one of the numbers, it's over and they're on to the next. Other than the T-bone feature and the trumpet solo at the end (I'll touch on that more later) nothing memorable. Visually, they're just sort of....meh. Again, nothing special, or particularly memorable. If you don't agree, take a look at some of the video this year and the crowd reactions. I just don't see the spontaneous standing Os that the Scouts normally get. Granted, I am just going by YouTube and Fan Network since I haven't been able to see them live this year, but I've always noticed the crowd responses in the past. Now, that gets me to the ending. I LOVE the soloist and he's done a tremendous job; unfortunately, it just doesn't feel like the right way to end this show. Speaking only for myself, it just feels like.........................exactly-like there should be more. I realize that things change, but the idea of the Scouts walking off the field to mild, almost "golf clap" applause just doesn't feel right.

Like I said at the beginning, there's nothing wrong with having different views on this show, and like others, when I heard the original announcement I expected something different. But that's okay-everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But it's time to get off all this other crap!

• Like 1

1983 we marched 10....had planned on 12. 1982 we marched 10 through 1st tour. I believe 1979 started season with 12 and cut down to 10....Peter Theo's first year at age 16. Oh my bus mate in 82 was Chris Crockrell, and both 82 & 83 section leader was Todd Herrick.

Awesome, Todd Herrick was my instructor in High School. His older brother Dave (Sundance) was also one of my instructors before Todd was. Loved those guys! Dave was a trip and have vivid memories of his pep talks before shows. Awesome!

Since SCV and Phantom seem to be revisiting popular themes from their pasts, I think it might be a good idea for the Scouts to re-take the high seas and bring back another swashbuckling pirate show!

Since SCV and Phantom seem to be revisiting popular themes from their pasts, I think it might be a good idea for the Scouts to re-take the high seas and bring back another swashbuckling pirate show!

I like it, but with Boerma, loeffelholz, Duggan, Nahirniak, and Moore as the designers IMO

One week left baby.

You 150 men stay positive and keep pushing... smile knowing that most alumni have your back. I for one am ready to watch the magic happen this week starting tonight, here in Madison WI

Blow the East Coast away, take your $#/÷ right into Indy!

Long Live The MADISON SCOUTS!

Bring It!

Haha... can't believe I just read this thread all summer

Some of you are lucky

GO MADISON SCOUTS!

• Like 1