Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Most corps added half the new members to brass and the rest went to guard for a bigger effect. Drums will cut through no matter what. Also its harder to clean 12 & 6 so the percussion score would then drop.

I was sad to see Madison marching 7 & 3.

I wouldn't mind the body movement as much if it actually matched the music. Most of the time it seems like the designers are like "Oh look, an 8 count hold in the brass, we can put something here for GE points". The choreography is just tacked on for something to do, rather than something that fits the music. I get a visual cue, but no musical synergy to go along with it, and my brain is confused.

And it's not like body movement is some newfangled innovative thing either. I mean, heck, Bridgemen did the shuffle in the late 70s and Madison had a decent amount of body movement in their 83 & 84 shows (and beyond). And those were waay before anything Star did in 93. It always confuses me how much credit people give to that Star 93 show in terms of "body movement!" when drum corps were already doing stuff like that literally a decade prior. Star had like 2 sections of the entire show that lasted less than a minute, yet they get all the credit?

I was citing that as one of the more effective uses of body movement, not that they are the only ones to have done it. Cavies circa the early-mid '00s would fall into that category too. But the broader point you make echoes the one I was making as well. In the past, the body movement was a part of the show and programmed to help sell the show or tell the story. Like you said, nowadays, it's usually just thrown in without regard to how it fits or how it flows. It's almost become like a compulsory in figure skating or something.

"Ok people...8 counts of standing still here in the ballad, so let's have you gyrate your hips counterclockwise for the first four counts and then bend your right knee and kick your right heel out for the final 4 counts." lol

It's just....just so ridiculous.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 4

I have not seen it with the wheel yet, but this show is one you have to see live. The videos that are out do it no justuce ! The snare story is true and there are 4 quads. (2 have been injured off and on.)

I guess to score better we need to add a castle built on a uneven hill and furnished with tables and chairs. A rocket ship from outerspace to bring in a young couple that dance around hugging and kissing while playing with farm animals. Then in the end turns into a vampier that kills somebody while somebody tells use about it.

Just a Thought.

Edited by Bill L.
  • Like 3

I have not seen it with the wheel yet, but this show is one you have to see live. The videos that are out do it no justuce ! The snare story is true and there are 4 quads. (2 have been injured off and on.)

I guess to score better we need to add a castle built on a uneven hill and furnished with tables and chairs. A rocket ship from outerspace to bring in a young couple that dance around, hugging and kissing. Then in the end turns into a vampier that kills somebody while somebody tells use about it.

Just a Thought.

Hey Bill, how about we just get some honest to goodness, in your face entertaining no holds barred drum corps from Madison...The way "historically" we know they are capable of performing. Oh, wait a second...Apparently that’s not allowed any more or they’ve simply lost their way.

Hey Bill, how about we just get some honest to goodness, in your face entertaining no holds barred drum corps from Madison...The way "historically" we know they are capable of performing. Oh, wait a second...Apparently that’s not allowed any more or they’ve simply lost their way.

Jerry, Apparently that does not work either.

I saw the wheel last night in Dubuque. In the beginning of the show, the wheel is flipped on its side in the back left corner of the field and a guard member stands in the middle. My interpretation is that this supposed to represent a bar and a bartender. So, jazz, lounge, bar, bartender. Ok. At some point (probably after the technicolor guard unis are revealed) two guard members, one in the black uni, one in the technicolor, start slowly wheeling the wheel diagonally across the field. The guard member in the colorful uni hangs on the wheel and does some cool acrobatic, cirque de soleil type stuff. IMO this use of the wheel illustrates the shows theme time trip nicely. The wheel represents the passage of time, you have guard characters from both eras moving through time, etc. Further on in the show, the wheel becomes stationary but is left upright. Drill forms are based around the wheel. The wheel is big, dramatic, and painted an electric color that goes with the guard unis. IMO this is effective visually.

All in all, I'd give the first performance with the wheel a B+ for making the storyline more clear and for adding visual interest. Nice work Madison staff!

• Like 1

(Based upon inspiration derived from yesterday's "2015 Rule Change" satire thread)...

You want passage of time. How about transporting the wheel onto the field via a vintage Ford Model T. Unload it...use it...wheel it across...use it...etc. At the completion of the show, roll it to the opposite corner from the one it started in, and into a trailer being pulled by a modern Peterbilt (which has been hidden behind a large stage being used to feature a jazz trombone choir throughout the show). Drive said Peterbilt off the field, all the while blaring its horn which is pitched to the tonic of the final chord.

Voila !!

(Edit) Heck...you could even start the show with the trombone choir performing on Renaissance Sackbuts, and change to the modern horn as we know it for the finale.

Edited by HornTeacher