Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

But, does anyone have any positive suggestions to give along with their time and expertise along with the current staff?

Too late for this year. My suggestion for next year is DON'T FIELD CRAPPY ARRANGEMENTS. If we the fans don't let the staff know they're doing a bad job designing the show, they're liable to go on doing the same thing year after year: being on the cutting edge of crapola such as contriving this cubist arrangement of Fanfare for the New.

• Like 1

I'm aware of the Gunther Schuler connection but the problem is, nobody in the stands gets it nor does anyone want to get it. They want to hear Madison do that music in a way that makes the crowd react the way it did to Madison's 95 show. Can't get that reaction with a soft ending and with the high note trumpets being nothing more than an afterthought. I feel bad for the corps. I know they have to be hurting right about now. Probably some very long and not very fun rehearsal days. My biggest fear in all of this is if Mason and company decide to say "screw it. We're leaving" after this year. If that happens, they're done. No need for that to happen though. All they need to do is make a U-turn right back to the direction they were heading in 2013 and they will be fine.

First off some in the stands do care.

Second, please don't attempt to speak for the members or what's going on because you're off base.

You're speculating on your thoughts and visions, and that doesn't help things or your point.

I won't speak for others, but I can tell you as an alum I like the show, the guys are working hard and learning a lot, and just because some judges aren't giving high numbers that things are bad.

I mean Marie Czapinkski has bashed them since 1980 after Gary wrote ###### drill and was fired, yet people take her numbers, and others seriously.

I hope everyone ragging on the corps had seen the show and not just youtube videos from June. Doubt it though.

Anyway, go Madison Scouts!

• Like 2

Second, please don't attempt to speak for the members or what's going on because you're off base.

You're speculating on your thoughts and visions, and that doesn't help things or your point.

I won't speak for others, but I can tell you as an alum I like the show, the guys are working hard and learning a lot, and just because some judges aren't giving high numbers that things are bad.

I mean Marie Czapinkski has bashed them since 1980 after Gary wrote ###### drill and was fired, yet people take her numbers, and others seriously.

I hope everyone ragging on the corps had seen the show and not just youtube videos from June. Doubt it though.

I agree with you. I saw Scouts at DATR and I really liked their show. I wasn't expecting the ending thing and it confused me a bit, but I enjoyed it. Of course, I'm speaking only as a spectator. I have no idea what kind of scores they should get.

I will say that I'm hoping Scouts and BAC improve their numbers so that we can have a 4-way dog fight between them, BK and PR. That would make for an exciting Finals, for sure.

• Like 2

I was at the Wichita show last night and I got to say that only two corps got a standing ovation, Troopers and Madison. That tells me something. I really enjoyed Madison's show and felt they were much more impressive than the Blue Knights. That's just my opinion. I just wish that everyone who thinks they know better than the staff at Madison would step up and help the corps, rather than talk about how bad they are and how out of touch the staff is. I say, keep goin' Madison, we really like your style.

• Like 4

Saw the DATR vid. Looks like the Niner Two false ending was so oddly placed that it caught the announcer off guard. "Ladies and Gentlemen the-" just kidding we still have Final Analysis to play! I feel like the DM addressing the audience directly is kinda what causes this. It doesn't feel like an ending at all, but the fact that he's turning around and bowing makes it very odd from an audience standpoint.

Lots of individual miscues throughout the show because they essentially rewrote more than half of the drill over the last 2 weeks, but I can deal with that.

As much as I dislike the down ending in comparison to the original, the sop soloist really is very good.

• Like 1

Saw the DATR vid. Looks like the Niner Two false ending was so oddly placed that it caught the announcer off guard. "Ladies and Gentlemen the-" just kidding we still have Final Analysis to play!

Yeah, that mistake was even more obvious on the live feed, which also had the recurring vuvuzela-like feedback sounds through most of the later shows. DCI did a lot to clean up the recordings for the VODs.

I was at the Wichita show last night and I got to say that only two corps got a standing ovation, Troopers and Madison. That tells me something. I really enjoyed Madison's show and felt they were much more impressive than the Blue Knights. That's just my opinion. I just wish that everyone who thinks they know better than the staff at Madison would step up and help the corps, rather than talk about how bad they are and how out of touch the staff is. I say, keep goin' Madison, we really like your style.

It's not too late for old school drum corps fans to study up on Gunther Schuller and get hip to Third Stream Jazz. There's three whole weeks of the season left. They just need to listen to nothing but George Russell, Gil Evans and Ornette Coleman from now till then, and then they'll get it!

If I agree to do that will you agree to study up on Ray Baumgardt and Scott Boerma and listening to nothing but their work with the Madison Scouts for the next three weeks...then you might get it too.

2014 may not be my favorite Scouts show, but they're still the Madison Scouts so I wish them nothing but the best.

edit to say some of my favorite Scouts shows were also arranged by Robert W Smith!!!

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

Out of curiosity, go look at the recaps for finals and semi finals the past four years and tell me which year, in the last show she judged them, did Marie Czapinkski dump on Madison? I cannot find one in which she was not fair.