Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Just looked at a bunch of recaps, Marie does seem to be scoring Scouts guard lower than a number of other judges, but L. Carlson also had them in the 13 range. On the other hand the spreads between Scouts and the other corps seem fairly consistent judge to judge.

Dude, I lived it. And no, there were not these absurd forums, this was good old fashioned conversation with alums and others.

It wasn't the staff telling us jack ####, it was me as a member, and others involved that year, hearing it.

You marched 96 right? Not 97?

Please don't tell me what our experience was like.

And I'm not giving names on here because that wouldn't be fair to those people.

Feel free to call it ridiculous, but you don't need a forum like this to have people express their opinion in person.

Glad you got a chance to see us, and yes the crowd loved us in 97, but not everyone.

I've seen the 2014 corps live 4 times, and the crowd is digging them to, just because some people on this site don't like it, doesn't mean the fans as a whole.

This is a pointless exercise, but, while I marched '96 and not '97, I still had many many friends in the corps. Not one time, in conversations with any of them, did they mention this. Never came up. I think you're way way overstating the fact that a "few" people were panning that show when, in fact, it was scoring and placing well ALL summer long and was widely discussed as one of the hottest shows of the season. Won the Spirit of Disney award as well, IIRC. Was easily one of the best conceived and best executed shows I've ever witnessed...Scouts or anyone else. The Scouts definitely had a solid 6-year run of awesome shows '94-'99.

This is a pointless exercise, but, while I marched '96 and not '97, I still had many many friends in the corps. Not one time, in conversations with any of them, did they mention this. Never came up. I think you're way way overstating the fact that a "few" people were panning that show when, in fact, it was scoring and placing well ALL summer long and was widely discussed as one of the hottest shows of the season. Won the Spirit of Disney award as well, IIRC. Was easily one of the best conceived and best executed shows I've ever witnessed...Scouts or anyone else. The Scouts definitely had a solid 6-year run of awesome shows '94-'99.

All great points, however, I can assure you it did happen to not only me, but other members as well, so simply discrediting based on conversations you had with friends, the way the crowd reacted at shows you went to, and the Spirit of Disney is simply wrong. Again, I'm not giving names on here but there were many that had these feelings. Maybe not the mass audience, which I agree with you on, but thus was the sentiment of some.

Much like the current feelings some have for this year and recent years, many love it, some don't.

Well, as someone who was with a corps that toured with Scouts in 1997, I recall audiences absolutely *loving* Scouts show in 1997, particularly the two pirate lead characters. Even in June and early July, the crows were going bonkers for that show.

Well, as someone who was with a corps that toured with Scouts in 1997, I recall audiences absolutely *loving* Scouts show in 1997, particularly the two pirate lead characters. Even in June and early July, the crows were going bonkers for that show.

yah who didn't love that show?

• Like 1

All great points, however, I can assure you it did happen to not only me, but other members as well, so simply discrediting based on conversations you had with friends, the way the crowd reacted at shows you went to, and the Spirit of Disney is simply wrong. Again, I'm not giving names on here but there were many that had these feelings. Maybe not the mass audience, which I agree with you on, but thus was the sentiment of some.

Much like the current feelings some have for this year and recent years, many love it, some don't.

Many. Some. A few. One.

He's right, it is a pointless exercise. I never in 17 years heard anyone pan the 97 show. Now I guess I have. From one.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I really like Madison's music this year.

My issue with the soft ending is they chose a piece of music that I wish would continue on for a couple of minutes. I love that piece!

I'm also not a fan of the hand-clapping thing at the beginning of Niner-two.

• Like 1

I saw them in July that year, and we sure all went nuts for them.

Mike

Guess my reality from that year from some people must be wrong since you know, so many have seen the show and loved it.

Once again, I'm not listing names, and yes, the crowd loved us once the show started to come together, but there were many that didn't buy into when the show was announced and really until about mid-July.

I'm also not a fan of the hand-clapping thing at the beginning of Niner-two.

That's actually taken from the Don Ellis Orchestra performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival, it is the beginning of Open Wide with Niner-Two attached to it.

I'm actually glad they used that in there.