Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Hey if the scouts are going jazz they need the cymbal line back for sure. I think that the snare line will definitely need some for the cymbal rides built into the show plus some real head choppers. Also need a sixth bass for that low end thump. Also might as well make it 10 snares and 6 tenors or better yet bring back the 8 ball tenor line. Half as many tubas a third more trumpets personally do away with the guard and add more of everything else.

Hey if the scouts are going jazz they need the cymbal line back for sure. I think that the snare line will definitely need some for the cymbal rides built into the show plus some real head choppers. Also need a sixth bass for that low end thump. Also might as well make it 10 snares and 6 tenors or better yet bring back the 8 ball tenor line. Half as many tubas a third more trumpets personally do away with the guard and add more of everything else.

No guard? No offense, but I would like some of what you're smoking! ;)

• Like 1

Luckily, Chris Komnick (I think it was him) said that the 2014 Scouts show will feature all new material (at least for them)! And I agree, re-hashed shows are stale for me and if Malaguena-ga or any variation is done again, I will lose my mind (in a bad way!). There is sooo much great music out there (especially from these two sources), why would they NOT explore some of it?

1) YEA for Chris Komnick for exploring 'new' material!!

2) I wholeheartedly agree with you: there is a plethora of great music from Stan Kenton and Don Ellis waiting to be performed by Scouts. I can't wait to hear some of it!!

Denver.

Aw HELL yeah!!!

I glad that a quality corps will be playing Stan Kenton and Don Ellis next year. Two composers whose Jazz Ensemble works are tailor made for Drum Corps! Excited and intrigued about the promise of different pieces, especially since corps in the past have made the decision perform the same works even though both composers have a gigantic musical book!

• 4 weeks later...

So what's this I read in another post about the Scouts not participating in any of the TOC shows?

Is this yet another Stewart era move to buck the establishment? On one hand, I could see how they

don't like the idea of that group, but at the same time, what good would it do to fight against them?

Isn't it better to "fight" from within instead of being an outsider? Also, if this is a political move, won't

it hurt them politically and competitively?

So what's this I read in another post about the Scouts not participating in any of the TOC shows?

Is this yet another Stewart era move to buck the establishment? On one hand, I could see how they

don't like the idea of that group, but at the same time, what good would it do to fight against them?

Isn't it better to "fight" from within instead of being an outsider? Also, if this is a political move, won't

it hurt them politically and competitively?

No, it's not another Stewart era move to buck the establishment, very far from that actually.

Email the corps directly for true information, otherwise it will be simply rumors and speculation. ckomnick@madisonscouts.org

The music of Don Ellis and Stan Kenton will be amazing for those that see the show this summer!

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

Really looking forward to seeing this show. This is the kind of program that their fans love so much and I see them moving up this season. Trying to make pieces like Pictures at an Exhibition and A Night on Bald Mountain work in the signature Madison style didn't really work IMO.